Removing iPad as presence sensor

HE n00b here. Moved from ST after being there for 4 years.

I have an iPad Pro and an iPhone XS Max both now running iOS 14.

The iPad stays at home so HE thinks I never leave. Consequently, my front door does not lock when I leave, thermostat does not go into eco mode, yada yada yada.

Removed iPad from the list of devices, and it is created again.

Is there a way to remove the iPad as a presence sensor for good? I still prefer to use the iPad over the iPhone for HE because of the screen size.

Thanks!

I think the answer is yes. In the app's setting on the iPad, turn off "Enable GeoFence". That should do it, although every time you launch the app on the iPad, it will chide you for having it turned off. I've also denied access to location services. I'm not 100% sure which if these two actions keeps it from participating in presence.

Mostly I wanted to reply just to make sure you are aware you can just go to the IP of your hub from any browser on the iPad to manage Hubitat. I see very little use for the app for a homebound device.

Was wracking my brain and you provided several suggestions not considered. Thank you!

I disabled “Allow Hubitat to access location” and will monitor that for a while.

If that doesn’t work into the app settings I go.

As someone with more HE miles, I will take your suggestion and use the app only when I am away. Still gets me when I try to logon to my network with the 192.168.0.xxx and I am at work 30 miles away.

Again, thank you for the suggestions. You have given me hope there is a solution.

1 Like

you could set up each device as a separate instance. when you enable geofencing, it asks you to link the device to an existing one or to create a new device. you might've selected the existing iphone device just to complete it, which is causing the conflict.

if you did want the ipad to receive things like notifications n such, add it back but create it as a new device

Turned off location in iOS 14. Presence detection is working better now. Geofence is as small as it goes and it takes about 5 minutes to show I am home. My wife’s iPhone is spot on.

Using the iPhone for presence detection is odd. I created 4 tiles for testing purposes. Two are for my wife and two are for me. Each of us has a tile using the iPhone presence detection and a tile for Life360 presence detection. The tiles that are Life360 are spot on reporting arrival and departure, but there is a considerable (~ 2 minutes) lag from the time my wife leaves and when the iPhone presence detection triggers. By that time she js at the front door, packages in hand, and the door is not unlocked yet. The WAF went down faster than a gambler’s credit score, hence my experiment. When she leaves the geofenced area, both tiles report her absence about the same time. When I arrive home, the Life360 tile shows I am home, but the iPhone presence detection lags about 2 minutes before that tile changes to Present.

So +1 for Life360 presence detection. Your mileage may vary. :sunglasses: