Remove Z-wave Extender

I have a Zwave extender. Looking at my Zwave routing on my new C8 there is only one device that seems to go thru that and where it is at doesn't make a lot of sense.

If I remove the extender what kind of issues might I have, or maybe the question is how is the best way to go about it?

If you remove it 1 of 2 things will happen, either the device will find another to device to use as a repeater or it will connect directly to the hub. In either case, you could end up with a stable connection, or not, depending on a host of factors.

2 Likes

What's kinda puzzling about it. I have 2 Zooz switches in a double box. One of them connects directly to the hub and the other goes thru the extender. And the extender is further away from the hub then the switch.

If I remove the extender should I do a Zwave repair or just let it find itself?

A zwave repair on the switch may speed the rediscovery process along, but if you don't it will find a level set on its own eventually.

If you do remove, remember to do a clean exclude, just don't click remove from the hubitat.

Did an exclude, which worked great. Then did a Zwave repair just to be on the safe side. For quite a while it still showed going thru the extender, but it worked fine. After a couple hours the path went to straight to the hub. So all is well at this point.

2 Likes

I've noticed that the zwave details can sometimes take a while to update. Half a day is my rule of thumb for checking any of the details, and some things like signal strength and connection speed can take even longer to settle out.

1 Like

If you have Z-wave extenders that are no longer being used, you can save a few cents on your electrical bill by unplugging them. Personally, I like having more extenders than I need as it insures that my network will always be stable. After upgrading to the C8 hub, most of my devices are now connected directly to the hub at 100 mbps. That is great, but I still do not plan on removing the extenders.

2 Likes

TL;DR: If it ain't broke...

FWIW, if a device is performing normally and as promptly as your other directly connected/"normally routed" devices, there's really no reason to jump through hoops to get a device to take another path, or a direct path.

In the end, if the routing the device has chosen is working and you don't have any significant performance issues, you really shouldn't need to worry about it. Sometimes the info on the Z-Wave Details page can make us think we need to do something, but if things are working smoothly it's really a non-issue.

That said, I do have enough home automation OCD that I have to admit I have run an individual repair on a Z-Wave device if I see it using what I think is odd routing. However, I also have to admit that I've never seen any noticeable improvements after doing so (for devices that were working well on the original routing). :slight_smile:

The only time I will attempt a Z-wave repair is if the device fails to connect at 100 kbps. For example, I replaced my Aeotec Gen 5 doorbell chime with a Ecolink 700 series chime. I relocated the Aeotec device to the basement. The relocation completely messed up the routing. Initially, it was trying to route through a Z-wave switch at the opposite end of the house even further away than the bub. It was connecting at 9.6 kbps. I ran Z-wave repair. A day later, the Aeotec was connected directly with the hub at 100 kbps. Success!

If you are getting 100 kbps connections, it does not matter how the signal gets from the hub to the device.

1 Like

40kbps is a more than adequate connection, I've had stubborn devices that stayed stuck at 9.6 for months and months (including a door lock) on my C7, yet worked perfectly fine the entire time, reporting status promptly and responding promptly to commands/autmations. So I'd suggest that rather than setting a connection speed requirement/goal, focus on what's working/what isn't. And if things are all consistently working, then getting higher speed connections is probably more about what we need/want than what the devices need. :slight_smile:

But I don't always take my own advice and do occasionally find myself in the Z-Wave Details page wishing device X would just connect a little faster so I can have more 100's... :wink:

1 Like

I have several devices that only show 40kbps, both before and after removing the extender. Z-wave repair didn't make any difference either. But they all work fine and if there is any delay due to the 40 speed I doubt it would be noticable.

Most locks only show 40k. Non z-wave plus devices max at 40k. Any of those in the mix of your 40k's?

No locks. At least one of the devices showing 40k is a Plus. The others I can't tell without a lot of work. The Plus one is in the same room as the hub itself. It's a Zooz ZSE33 Siren.

Look at the clusters on the bottom of each device page. If it has 0x5e in it it's z-wave plus. If not it's plain z-wave

1 Like

This is the 0x5e that @rlithgow1 is referring to, on your Device pages:

A couple of them don’t have the 5e so as you say they are not plus. One of them doesn’t show clusters at all. The Zooz siren does show 5e and even tho in same room as hub it’s still 40k. But in any case as long as everything is working properly I’m not concerned.

That approach is the holy grail of living a calm, peaceful life. :slight_smile:

That should be plus according to the alliance but it maxes out at 40k according to the specs at z-wave alliance.

So 2 days ago I removed the extender. After things settled down all my devices were going direct to the hub. This morning I took a look and very weird routing was showing. One of the devices showed going thru the old extender node which no longer exists. Another one, which is pretty close to the hub, went to another room in the direction away from the hub, then down to the basement, then back up to another switch even further away before getting back to the hub. Almost looks like the original routing before the extender was removed.