Remote Admin service doesn't work

@sarah-norbert

I hope your issue is resolved because @jtp10181 nailed the underlying cause. For the reasons he explained, this really isn't a Hubitat networking issue per se; self-assigned addresses are a clear indication of DHCP failure. Although, it should be trivial to reboot that extender, and ensure it both receives and assigns appropriate IP addresses before rebooting your Hubitat.

3 Likes

I had a problem recently with my DHCP server after a firmware update on my router. It was selectively assigning IP devices from certain manufacturers.

Unfortunately my phone or computer were not the selected ones so I could not connect to even administer the router and Hubitat. Hubitat was actually connected to the router with a correct IP, however when I tried to use the Hubitat app it was trying to connect to a 169.xx address.

My workaround was manually setting the IP address on my phone and PC on the same subnet as the router and connect via the browser to the Hub’s IP and reset the static IP setting. I then reset the DHCP setting on my router and everything is back to normal. Hope it works for you.

1 Like

@jtp10181 & @leonc , I have marked both of your comments as the solution. Setting the Static IP on the hub itself immediately adjusted the IP in the Registered Hubs information and as a result I can once again connect locally via the Android app. I suspect that if Hubitat Support had deleted the registration entry and I had re-registered it would have also worked but I no longer have that test case available.

I suppose that as a last word I would like to express a concern. I love the Hubitat platform and I want to see it grow and flourish. I am technically savvy so these suggestions and commentary were easy for me to follow. I worry though about the general public. If a non-technical user had encountered this issue and requested Hubitat Technical Support and received no feedback on their issue, as I did, they would, I suspect, be very upset. Perhaps I am off-base and Hubitat is only meant for the technically savvy but I suspect that the intent is for a much broader, general consumer base. A general, non-technical consumer would expect quick and relevant follow-up and in the case of a longer term issue, ongoing communications on progress.

My two cents... and once again thanks for the community support!

3 Likes

@sarah-norbert just want to follow up that someone else reported this in the Beta feedback which just got released today. There are two other posts (including yours) which got linked as references as well. @gopher.ny believes this will be fixed for the next release so that the cached IP does not get stuck in there how it did for you.

3 Likes

On 4/20/2022 I sent a request to Hubitat Support to look into why my Remote Admin was not turned on. I paid $54.99 on 11/25/2021 for both Remote Admin and Protection for a year and both should be active now. They sent me a canned Zendesk reply but I have yet to get a human response or to get this easy fix resolved. Any suggestions on how to contact them and actually get some attention? Their Zendesk reply assigned my problem to case number 26086. By the way I was unable to resolve a Hub problem while on vacation because of the situation.

Tagging @bobbyD

1 Like

Thanks for reaching out and for your continued support. I checked your active services and Hub Protect is active on your main hub. Unfortunately, there was a problem with Remote Admin setup when you signed up for the bundle in November, and none of your hubs were enrolled in the service. I fixed the problem and you should be able to use Remote Admin. Please allow 24-48 hours for the service to be activated. If you need the service sooner, please send me a private message.

3 Likes

@bobbyD Thanks for your help. Appears to be fixed, but I won't know for sure until I'm away again and try to use it. We need some way to get these type issues resolved quicker. Any suggestions?

1 Like

Disconnect from your Wifi and go on a cellular data connection. Then you will be "remote" and can test it.

I agree, I had these same frustrations with the support early on. Now I know to just come on the forums, but I still don't understand why that seems to be the only way to get through to the right people. I see posts like this around once a month it seems like, so maybe it is isolated cases only, not sure.

1 Like

The way I look at it is that many issues can be solved through the many experienced users here on the Community eager to help where they can. It also can act as a learning experience for those new to the platform to chip in with suggestions and try out solutions to issues people post. So there's a double benefit in posting here, getting your issue solved and others able to learn from the experience, either those involved at the time, or those searching for answers.

That's not meant in any way as a slight on HE support, just that there can be benefits to having a strong Community of people willing to help. That way we can then free up the support and dev team for those issues that require the additional expertise and access they have behind the scenes.

4 Likes

@672southmain Thanks for tagging my original post to @bobbyD - didn't know he was Hubitat Support. @jtp10181 Thanks for your helpful comments - I did confirm Remote Admin is now working.

2 Likes