Reliable water leak sensors

I've had a great experience with the Zooz ZSE42 leak sensor. They can often be bought for < $20, they are very small, and have been totally reliable for me.

4 Likes

I second ZSE42. The Smartthings/Aeotec I used for years started to get very sensitive to ambient humidity with age and go off every time someone takes a shower, so I am replacing them with ZSE42, and I am very happy with them for now.

3 Likes

I am running a bunch of Leak Smart sensors with no issues (from the Wink days). I also have some Ecolink, Dome, Aotec and Third Reality. The Third reality ones are cheap. They were on sale for $14 on Amazon last week. You can get them with a drip sensor attachment as well. So far no issues. The old Leak Smarts can be a pain but they were expensive and they still work.

2 Likes

I’m at a loss to explain why both my Leaksnart water sensors that were reporting WET in HE previously, now will not, even after re-joining them multiple times.

On HA via Z2M, they work fine so I know it’s not the sensors that are at fault.

@mike.maxwell Any idea what’s gone south? I tried both Generic Moisture Sensor and the dedicated Leaksmart drivers, and don’t get a better result from either (battery and temp are reporting).

1 Like

Are they joining OK?, and staying online?

I think you're running into the same issue discussed in this thread: Leaksmart sensors help!

Bottom line, HE's built in driver doesn't report wet events for some of these sensors (likely firmware dependent). Mine use the same firmware as yours and only report wet events when using a custom driver (linked in that thread--it needs a fix for temp formatting as described in this post: Leaksmart sensors help! - #8 by Tony ).

1 Like

Yes, there's no error in their join. I get the beeps from the device that indicate it has joined and I don't have any errors in joining.

One had dead batteries, so I've not data on whether or not that dropped. I replaced the batteries and found that it updated the battery percentage, and the temp was reporting, just not reporting WET. Grabbed the other was that was still connected and found it wouldn't report WET either. Held it tightly in my hands and noted the temp would increase. Changed its batteries and it also reported 100%, but still no WET report. That's when I tried rejoining both of them and found that they both would join OK, but wouldn't report WET.

I'm sort of wondering if these are not joining correctly, but without an error. I had a hell of a time getting them to join correctly to HA via Z2M, but I was getting an error there so it wasn't a mystery. However, once they joined via Z2M without error, they do function 100% correct.

1 Like

Not a connectivity issue in my experience; driver changes are necessary to fix event reporting for the sensors with updated firmware. First reported here several years ago: LeakSmart Sensors - #12 by Tony

2 Likes

If that was the case, nothing would report.
Did you try the custom driver noted above?, if that works I can take a look at the custom driver and see about updating ours.

2 Likes

No, but I'll reset one of them and try that for you.

1 Like

Can you get me a complete fingerprint for the device you have?

2 Likes

I get the feeling I'm talking to myself LOL...

Makes no sense. I joined one of them as a new device, and it picked up the manufacturer specific Leaksmart driver that you wrote. Tested and sure enough it would not report WET. But I pressed Configure and tested again, now reports WET.

Reset the device and rejoined in place and it again correctly reported WET.
Removed the device and joined again and without needing to press Configure, it correctly reports WET. :person_shrugging:

I know I pressed Configure the other day when trying to get this working. Cannot explain the reason it's now working fine. Hub version hasn't changed and I did try a reboot the other day, so there's no outside change I can point to. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Here's the fingerprint output.

1 Like

@mike.maxwell - I found the issue. Description text logging has to be kept enabled. I typically turn this off for my devices and I found that it will not report WET if this is disabled. Once enabled it will correctly report WET every time.

1 Like

What driver?, never mind I see the issue, I'll get it fixed so text logging doesn't need to be enabled

5 Likes

It is definitely possible that my mesh is still not good, though i think it improved a lot with me adding additional repeaters (Sylvania Plug-in outlets),
Here's the breakdown of my zigbee mesh:
total 43 devices (12 are repeaters), which are:

• 4 NYCE door hinge contact sensors (planning to replace those with zwave contact sensors, as rest of my security sensors are zwave.

• 9 Sylvania/Osram Flex RGBW lights - these are latest revisions that from what i read do not cause mesh issue (Repeaters)

• 3 Sylvania Smart+ plug-in outlets (Repeaters)

• 1 Third Reality Toggle Switch actuator

26 Water leak sensors, which are:

• 9 Leaksmarts V1 (all running latest firmware)
  • 6 Third Reality Leak sensors with siren 3RWS18BZ
  • 5 Samsung Smartthings STS-WTR-250 sensors (these are older smatthings sensor)
  • 1 Centralite 3-series sensor
  • 4 Tuya generic sensors with remote lead

I will be repairing each sensor close to the hub tonight, to see if this improves things. And yes i have the same issue with some of my Leaksmarts as well, they report battery and temp, but not state change. But as i've mentioned, the same problem is with the other sensors as well...

I've moved all my Leaksmarts to the customer driver per the other thread. I think my Leaksmarts are not much more stable, as they no longer drop from mesh like crazy, but some, id say half, still have the issue with reporting on sate change from dry to wet

just to be sure when we're talking about custom driver, we're talking about the driver by ericvitale, correct?

I wonder if that is also a problem with other sensors

This is driver specific. The built-in Leaksmart Zigbee Moisture Sensor driver has the issue. None of the other sensors I have joined to Hubitat, using Generic Zigbee Moisture Sensor and Generic Zigbee Moisture Sensor (no temp) have this problem.

If you’re still experiencing devices dropping, you likely need more repeaters, or you need to experiment with relocating your existing repeaters.

As a result of having Electric heat and multiple Sinope Zigbee thermostats, I have good repeaters in every room of my house.

1 Like