Reliable OUTDOOR temperature sensor

It hasn't been in the freezer more than 12 hours. Right now It indicates a little colder than -15 °C.

1 Like

I’m sure the OP has found something suitable by now, but if not…

I also use the v3 Iris motion sensor which runs on a CR123A battery (v2 doesn’t report humidity, and some chew through the CR2 battery at a rate of 1-2 per month. I’ve observed a very long battery life operating outside (under an overhang so not directly exposed to rain) at my cabin at over 10,000 feet/3100 meters. Temperatures get quite cold. I also use a generic (GoControl, I think, but there are lots of clones) Z-Wave PIR motion sensor outdoors that gives me good temperature readings but no humidity.

If it doesn’t have to be native to Hubitat, I also recommend the netatmo weather station. Integration via cloud works great. The kit (indoor + outdoor modules) are somewhat expensive at retail, but they are frequently on eBay in the $70-$100 range which makes them cost competitive with some sophisticated smart sensors. Plus you get the benefit of knowing indoor air quality (CO2 concentration, in particular). For my cabin which is buttoned up tight for insulation and efficiency, knowing the CO2 level is important and tells us when to open a window…

-alk

Actually, due to covid I haven't been able to travel to the cabin yet...and I think this is a topic that is always worth keeping an eye on. Actually just today one of my aqaras dropped off, after being stable for over a year, seems like you just can't trust them.

1 Like

My Aqara has been in our freezer for 2 days. Its indicating -18°C.

What level of cold do you experience at your cabin?

1 Like

Found a new candidate when browsing Zoozs webpage. ZSE44 I ordered one to test. This is a z-wave sensor available in both EU and US frequencies. Couldn't find info about battery life. Anyone tested this so far?

See this thread

1 Like

is it possible to set the ds18b20 with a node mcu esp8226

1 Like

Yes

-=edit=-

misread ....you did mean 8266, yes?

-=/edit=-

willing to offer any help ?

Sure.

Flash the konnected firmware to the nodemcu

Install hubitat drivers

DS18B20 has 3 wires.
Data - > chosen konnected pin
Ground - > nodemcu ground
Power - > nodemcu 3v

If you want something a bit different, you could try SensorPush. Not Zigbee or Z-Wave, these sensors communicate via bluetooth with an app on your phone or with a gateway that allows remote monitoring and sensor readings to be stored in the cloud. They store close to a months worth of readings on the sensor itself, these readings then sync with your phone when you are in range and / or get uploaded to their cloud storage if using the gateway.

Battery life is about two years, and I can back that up myself, perhaps even longer, but a CR2477 isn't cheap. Neither are the sensors or the gateway...

They seem to have expanded the range since I bought mine, they now include pressure and other conditions, as well as waterproof versions.

I like the idea, like my Hue lights, that this is both self-contained system, but also something I have been able to integrate with my HE hub, though sadly using the cloud. I wrote a driver that downloads the current readings from the cloud periodically to a virtual device on my HE hub. These readings then get pumped out to InfluxDB / Grafana for charting. I plan to eventually sync any readings from the cloud that are missed, but have not started work on that yet.

Simon

1 Like

I am reminded that "where it really matters", and in situations of inaccessibility -

redundancy of sensors & repeaters is important and worth the $...not only for unit failure, battery failure(buy the best), but also for a cross-check;

e.g. is that temperature that seems to be anomalously high, or that motion, corroborated by another sensor of the same type, or even better, a different type?

As he types in the wee hours of the morning after being woken by a motion sensor triggering in an outbuilding, ...not by a person but... likely by a mouse that climbed higher than he/she was expected to.

1 Like

Funny how wanting to type lofty ideals can make us assess our own situation.... :slight_smile: speaking from experience...

I use Sonoff, has worked great for over a year now.

1 Like

Thank you!! ... I'll see if i can get it flashed

1 Like

In my case with Alexa announcing it at 2am, 2:15, 2:30...... :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

well I have tried and tried to get the 8226 flashed with konnected tried 3 different wires 2 different boards 2 different PC's . I have installed the V1 drivers as stated in the instructions.. All I get is a spinning wheel

Any suggestions?

@careingemt

not sure mate, I've done 30+.... maybe someone else can assist?

=/

-=edit=-

misread ....you did mean 8266, yes?

-=/edit=-

yes 8226

There we go then. That's not the ones I use. Mine cost about 2 quid.