Reliability

If you open zigbee logging you can see the signal strength of your devices.

1 Like

I think itā€™s unlikely any problems youā€™re seeing are related to the older hardware version of the hub, unless yours is defective. I have a C4 hub thatā€™s very reliable, and my understanding is the internals of newer models are essentially identical, other than inclusion of the z-wave and zigbee radios.

Have you tried troubleshooting with support? Itā€™s probably some combination of an app, driver, or mesh issues. Defective hardware is always possible but I think less likely.

I certainly agree with @marktheknife

Your symptoms are 1) mesh, where some devices arenā€™t getting the commands. 2) an App or Driver that is consuming more than itā€™s fair share of resources. Either one probably drives you to rebooting.

I would start with an email to support @ Hubitat.com and then go into your Apps page and disable any Apps you can. Itā€™s a temporary step to just click the box next to the App and have it not run. Does this make your hub more reliable? If yes, enable Apps one at a time. Which one makes you feel like you want to reboot? If no, enable all your Apps and disable another set. Yes you will have a degraded system for the duration of these tests,but you should come out the other side with a hub thatā€™s as reliable as the rest of the community.

If you need it, tell us the list of custom Apps and Drivers you are using and weā€™ll offer opinions of which ones should be disabled first :smile:

Yeah I'm dealing with support now. I've basically had to disable everything to keep it from crashing daily. Hoping that they can pinpoint what is causing issues.

To me, that's good news for troubleshooting!! :smiley: A repeatable failure is great because "Intermittant" is the worst to troubleshoot. A few around here are choosing to reboot once a week. Which would mean they would have to leave something off for more than a week before knowing the impact.

You would know in half a day. :smiley:

Yeah it was crashing every single morning between 4am and 9am, depending on when I last reset it. It has been running for 48 hours without issue now. Also switches respond quickly, etc. I'll be interested to see where support goes with this, because obviously I need all my lan/cloud-based automations like TTS Chromecast, Echo, etc.

Another issue I've noticed is that my sensors CHEW threw batteries unlike I've ever seen before on other hubs. My Aeon multis are only lasting like a month now on those two fat cells. Sylvannia switches, some died in a few weeks. It's like the hub was just losing it's mind and spamming everything, or putting them in some compromised state, which drains everything and crowds the wireless networks. Would explain the other symptoms as well.

Chewing through batteries is something I've seen long ago too. I have 12 of the Aeon MultiSensor 6's and the dual CR123a batteries would empty in a couple weeks. I also have half a dozen Aeon Recessed Door Sensors and they were going through their CR2 batteries in about 3 weeks. I was using multiple hubs at the time, 1 Hubitat, 1 SmartThings, 2 OpenRemote, 1 Wink1 and after removing all but hubitat and SmartThings, battery life was good again. I attributed it to a mesh problem that was cured by migrating to only Hubitat.

I've since gotten back to 5-6 hubs, but battery life is still good. (3 Hubitat Hubs interconnected via HubConnect , SmartThings powered back on so I can help with HubConnect <--> ST issues, and HomeBridge using the HubConnect version. I've also got a 4th Hubitat for development.) I initially thought I'd go with 3 hubs connected via HubConnect and eventually merge the 3rd ('coordinator') back to on of the others. No way.. now. Three is just too stable and functional to be worth the $99 I'd theoretically save. I'd add another if I thought it would do any good. :slight_smile:

I've had my HE since February and I've been very pleased with it for the most part. Pretty easy to use and the community is terrific. The only issues I've ran into have been mesh related and/or user error. I'm not entirely sure those two aren't connected. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in starting up their own smart home!

Yeah overall I love this platform. Really my main complaint is I wish the proper tools were exposed for me to troubleshoot my own crashes. I'm not big on support calls personally, but I must say these guys ARE very helpful and responsive. Definitely can't bash on them there. :slight_smile:

If they are working perfectly for you then stick with it. I've tried a number of repeaters. For zwave I have a lot of devices that repeat automatically so I'm covered there. When it came to zigbee I have a lot of the xiaomi devices and the ikea repeaters worked the most reliably. I think the Iris devices gave me problems as soon as I installed them with the xaiomi devices.
It took me a while to find the right combination of things that worked together.

Definitely a second HE hub if you donā€™t have a Hue bridge to move your lights to, or it wonā€™t work due to an incompatibility with lights like Osram.

In terms of reliability, it was like this for me.

SmartThings doesnā€™t work: I would either shake my head or shake my fist. SNAFU Nothing I could do but wait for them to once again fix their cloud issue (meanwhile Iā€™m getting pissed that all the personal data Iā€™m paying for this service with isnā€™t yielding consistent results)

A Hubitat automation doesnā€™t work: I first look to see where I screwed up. Then I look to see if what I added might be screwing things up. Then I look to see if there might be an issue I could help them fix (because thereā€™s actually someone that will listen to me), and then I look for a simple way to do the same thing differently in the meantime (because there usually is one).

Which one do you want running your house?

6 Likes

I haven't had an issue since moving to HE several months ago. The only "not functioning" issues I encountered were caused by the app code I had written. ST was what I used previously. Now that was a different story.