Reliability

Once the system is up an running good. How often does the hub not execute a command like simple lighting? Reading some reviews it seems to happen to every hub manufacturer.

That's a bit of a to general of a question, as there are infinite amount of variables that "could" play a role in an issue. (Devices known to be problem devices, Custom Apps/Drivers, etc.)

I haven't had any issues in over a month.

1 Like

I can't give you a definitive percentage or anything like that. But I can compare to SmartThings with similar setups. And as far as "lost" actions/commands, Hubitat is 1000 times more reliable than SmartThings ever was.

3 Likes

wanted to scream tonight when the pantry light hadn't come on, then realized it was still on Smartthings, cuz it's an Osram bulb. Checked ST status webpage and guess what? Sure enough issues with devices on smartthings.
Boy I don't miss that at all...

5 Likes

I switched to Hubitat a month ago specifically for a modern and reliable experience, and so far performance has been 100%. I have around 60 lights, sensors, and remotes on z-wave, zigbee, and caseta and so far all the automations are always executing. Using rule machine v4, it seems the conditions get re-evaluated every few minutes. E.g. if a fan should turn on when a sensor crosses a certain temp. threshold, if I manually deactivate that fan it will re-activate based on rule machine in a few minutes. I have never had a motion lighting automation get missed either, albeit my cheap z-wave 4-in-1 sensors often have a >500 ms delay so I'm replacing them with zigbee sensors which respond more rapidly. Zigbee seems to have less issues in general thus far in my experience. And Hubitat is performing very well with respect to your question.

2 Likes

I have about 20 OSRAM lamps and strips, but I have another Hubitat hub that those are connected to, using HubConnect to share to my other hubs. I did this becasue it was much less expensive than replacing the lights. Just food for thought, with the really low price, add another HE and enjoy.

I think this is a path many of us walked down...

The first Hubitat Hub is not a bad price for someone looking to check it out. I would think that after a month, first time Hubitat users are "Yes, this Hubitat Hub is a good choice I made."

Once convinced/committed to the platform, the price of the 2nd Hub is very low, compared to replacing several devices. I know I 'graduated' from a single Hubitat hub to a second once I saw that the first would replace all 4 of my previous Hubs. I 'graduated' from a second to a third Hubitat Hub in just about one day, as I saw that I could push all the risky apps to a hub that couldn't affect my primary hubs. (That was before the 'miracle' of HubConnect appeared.)

The price of our total systems means that the price of the first hub, because it's an experiment, is OK, but a 2nd and 3rd hub are an easy decision, they are inexpensive (relatively) for the comfort.

2 Likes

I am really happy with how well the OSRAM's work on their own hub. I have some IRIS motion sensors on that hub as well, providing some lighting automatons. It was originally a test run to see if the motion sensors would drop off, but they never have and are currently providing auto lights for the pantry, dining room, and automatically turning a shelf of power tool battery chargers on when I insert a battery in a charger (power monitoring turns them off when batteries are charged). I have a few outlets connected to that hub as well, and it has been a very reliable mini radio ecosystem inside the house.

I bought my HE in March 2018. Since we moved to our new house in April of this year, I have been very intentional about what we install where, and how we use HE. In my opinion, HE reliability has increased significantly over time, and I believe that many of my issues in the past were at least in part attributed to mesh issues caused by low quality devices.

Bugs occasionally pop up, but with the new combination of devices that we now have, HE has been close to 100% reliable.

1 Like

Good estimation.....3 weeks in I ordered 2 more hubs.....

1 Like

I came from Smartthings as well, and I can attest to the general "100% reliable" feeling of it. There are occasional bugs on new features or updates that get ironed out very quickly, but otherwise, what I've found after switching is that I am so confident in the reliability of the service that I find myself making more and more increasingly complex automations and connections, getting very granular about the way I want my house to run. With ST, I always felt like such deep customization would end up wasted, since reliability couldn't be guaranteed, and if my hub went down or I needed to upgrade or anything, NONE OF IT WOULD COME WITH ME.
It hasn't really been so much a conscious decision to customize more deeply with HE, it has just happened as a result of my greater confidence. My smart home development has basically stagnated under ST... "this is good enough, no sense in making it more complex", whereas now, practically every day I think of some way to make something subtly more customized or elegant--a nice little project for the evening. And knowing it's all being backed up every night is an amazing feeling.

3 Likes

I wonder if I have a bad hub or something, because I have lights not fire ALL the time. I also have to reboot my unit like twice a day. I wish I could more-easily troubleshoot if there's a badly-behaving rule or something that's overloading the system. Maybe a runaway loop or something.

When it's working for me, it's hella fast. The local processing is so much better. I have to say though my various ST hubs around the world (I even have one running in a Malaysian forest bungalow using a GRPS/LTE wireless router... just always work. I don't think I've ever rebooted them. Obviously I could never reboot the one in the forest even if I wanted to.

Does anyone know if the new hub is more reliable? or if there's any benefit to move from my OG model to the new one? Tempting since it's on sale, but I'd pay full price if it fixed my issues.

My take is that most hub delay issues are Z-Wave or ZigBee mesh issues. Particularly recently. Make sure you have an appropriate amount of well placed repeaters. Mesh architecture is important and really is a solid investment.

Of course It could be interference on your radio frequency for the RF devices too, or maybe a faulty hub but the latter is far less likely to be the problem.

1 Like

HE has been very reliable except for using my Schlage z wave lock.

One thing I miss is the ease of checking on activity without having to log in via VPN and then logging into the app itself. Would be nice to have some sort of activity log, maybe not all the debug stuff, via the mobile app.

Since this is the thread the pointed me to look at Tradfri 110V socket repeaters, FWIW after trying several options of repeaters I think the best repeaters to go with Hubitat are the Iris 3210-L which can be had at the same price in bulk from ebay [1] yet are a zigbee socket/repeater but also function as a z-wave repeater too. The two-for-one zigbee + z-wave repeating and the fact they work great with Hubitat makes it a no-brainer for my house setup that these are the repeaters to go with. In my case I have a lot of z-wave sensors but am trying to transition everything over to zigbee due to seemingly lower lag time for both sensors and sockets in my testing and of course Caseta wherever possible. Is there any reason to /not/ prefer the 3210-L, they are working perfectly for me so far and fortunately aren't quite as homely as the Ikea line.

[1] Lot of 5 Z-Wave Plus Smart Plug Model 3210-L White Zigbee | eBay

There were reports of the ZWave side being underwhelming. I have two but have never yet enabled the ZWave side, so I can't confirm or deny.

Interesting, thanks. My floorplan is a doughnut where the center 'doughnut hole' has stucco walls with metal lath which blocks signals (zigbee, z-wave, wifi 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz (Ubiquiti Unifi) blocked, only Caseta penetrates it to cover the whole house of any protocol/frequency have tried for consumer wireless devices) so I have to have 3 repeaters in the 3 house corners which don't have the hub(itat). In testing 3210-L, Tradfri, and Leviton repeaters, the 3210-L and Leviton triplets had all my z-wave sensors working, but the Tradfri triplet kept losing the 2 Zooz ms-4 sensors in the garage. Thus in my case the Z-wave repeating of 3210-L is better than Tradfri, but I'm not sure what the lore is with regard to Tradfri strength/weakness vs. other products aside from what I read herein.

I wish Hubitat had a panel to see signal strength of devices-- there is no easy way to visualize the Z-wave / Zigbee signal strength of each device, right?

Correct, no easy way.

Uhhmmm am I reading this right? Tradfri is zigbee. So yeah, of course they do a bad job in repeating z-wave signals. :crazy_face:

Only a single hub here, I don't see the advantages of a second hub... yet... Another conversation/topic later. :smile:

95% of the issues I have seen on my end have been pilot error. The other 4.5% have been mesh related. The last 0.5% had easy workarounds that did work. Other than those instances, I can't think of anything I consider "major", failing to fire when it should have.

No complaints here :smile:

Now on to that multi-hub thread :smiley: