Reliability issues and firmware updates

That's the app's Cog Wheel screen, right? Nope, that's the right spot. That's good...it only runs on it's schedule, which will be below application state.

Yes, that was the app cog. Thanks.

1 Like

Have to say it has crossed my mind as well.

No response to my numerous support ticket requests over the last week on the issues and no response in the forums to my inquiries nor other's perf problem threads is telling. I think the new CEO has been a bust, and is likely preventing the team from being as communicative as they were previously.

It's a shame, I've had very high hopes for HE. This is the right way to do home automation (no cloud). Unfortunately, they're not pulling it off well.

I get home today and extreme latency. Tons of lights on, not showing attribute on, and tons off showing attribute on. I've got lights with absolutely no subscriptions or apps associated that are popping on for no damned reason.

It's a freakin' mess.

1 Like

Agreed, it is a shame. No mainstream company can survive with just one person attempting to handle all the numerous support tickets.

This issue has absolutely been acknowledged, and more than once. Most recently when I challenged Bruce... This is an important distinction.

I have provided a bit of data over the past few weeks.. I've been through this cycle before with the Hubitat team over Zigbee issues. It took a while to track down, and a couple test builds to verify a fix... But they eventually tracked it down and fixed it.

I was just one lone voice on that issue, and they listened and reacted... There's a whole chorus of diverse people reporting the slowdowns, including myself. It will get fixed, that much I am confident of.

10 Likes

I don’t have a C5 and this problem has existed since I bought the thing. Over a year of this problem has eroded the confidence and patience I had, like yours.

The problems have multiplied. Drivers worsened. Performance worsened. And yet the focus is new features and devices. It’s well past time to halt all else and focus on this problem. If that doesn’t happen, I’m done.

5 Likes

@srwhite

I really appreciate your sticking with this issue. Getting feedback and data from someone with your skilset is really vital for @bravenel and the others who are debugging this.

By profession, I'm a scientist. The toughest part of my job is sifting datasets to separate the wheat from the chaff. And in this situation, given their current resources vis-a-vis personel, I think that Hubitat needs high quality data; they're far more likely to get that from folks like you and @doug and @dan.t than the likes of me.

7 Likes

Hey Doug, how many hubs you have and what version? I think you have c4, but just one? If yes, maybe you have one of those hubs they had an issue, I remember in this forum it was discussed, some hubs came with something wrong, if I remember correctly, they used half of the processing power or something like that.
One of my hubs was a nightmare, I replaced it with my "developer hub" and problem solved, then one day I decided to use that hub again and it was dead, it was still under warranty so it was replaced. Just saying, I know you are frustrated and maybe restoring the database in another hub is the solution.

1 Like

I'm convinced there's a resource leak of some kind, it's systemic. I left it go unchecked after Christmas and it was interesting to see how it went.

I find the "signature" of the even most interesting. I see a very rapid, almost step, in latency over a few hours, then it flattens to a gradual never ending climb. Would love to know what's going wrong, maybe something running away in the JVM? not my system,

1 Like

If I had two cents, I'd bet on a DB situation - cleaning its self up after deletes or something like that. Add in some JVM garbage collection pressure and things could crawl - especially if the IO is slow.

This is the problem with JVM, right? It's all do it yourself. If someone doesn't know how to GC, it become a meltdown very quickly. This is why I don't understand why people continue to platform on Java!? Everytime you do a thing, it's do it from scratch. Nonsense in today's RAD world.

Not in my opinion. I don't know which DB they are using or what it's edge cases are. GC pressure can exacerbates problems - it doesn't necessarily create the problem. For an $80 box it makes sense to do just what we have. I don't know why people expect so much from so little, but they do.

I can see the same signature on my hubs when it occurs.

What is the start time for your inital climb? Mine is around the start of the backup.

Here is my very far fetched theory:
There is somewhere an issue with closing file handles. Under a Linux OS, there is a hard and a soft number of open file handles per process. Some of it is configurable (limits.conf) some of it is not. My assumption is that this get's exhausted one way or another. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. When it starts to reach the upper levels, the connections to the database get affected, which results in slower returns to database queries or not getting any response and you see these weird SQL errors in the logs.

Here is why this is my theory:

1. I have seen similar behaviors even with large scale Oracle databases. A simple missed stepped during the setup (adjusting the limits.conf) and a wrongly configured maximum open handles for the DB itself caused similar issues.
  2. When I was troubleshooting a NUT UPS driver issue, I got the following error messages in the logs:

You can see in this log that the hub had issues reading from the database, a telnet connection socket was closed and that was followed by multiple SQL errors in the logs (not shown here as this screenshot was taken on a phone). The hub was slow as hell and became unusable at that time.
Most people would have pointed to a "corrupt database" at this point. But the database was absolute fine. It had nothing to do with it. There was a custom driver that continuously opened a new telnet connection without closing the original one correctly. In the end, there were probably so many open handles that it affected the overall hub.

We have to keep in mind that every file request, HTTP request, telnet request, etc. all count towards this handle count.... The more busy the hub, the more likely it is to reach that at some point. My theory is that there are other components that might not be cleaned up 100% after usage and then at some point affect the system usage. We see this then quickly rise during a DB backup as a DB backup will open up a good amount of resources (from an OS perspective). It probably is not the DB backup in itself, that is just the tipping point.

For the avoidance of doubt: This is MY theory, I do not say that the Hubitat team has to jump on this one way or another as I cannot prove any of this. MY theory is purely build based on professional experience and consequential observations that I made while running my Hubitat systems.

1 Like

@doug

Just adding to potential things to check. After switching to the native dashboards (v2.1.7) I was experiencing horrible hub performance 24/7. After experimenting and working with support I believe there is a bug with the dashboard leaking memory if you enable all devices to a dashboard. I had 6 dashboard showing different states like battery percentage for 70+devices, dashboards with erroneous or non-existing devices. After cleaning all that up I don’t have the reliability and lagging issues anymore. Just wanted to share.

Dashboards are slooooow when all devices are enabled. I definitely do not do that. I do have dashboards on both systems. Maybe I’ll disable those for a bit and see what happens. You never know

Not that I understand this very well - but, if I understand you correctly, there doesn't have to be a single common contributory cause that results in the problem.

And that resolution of the issue would require:

• Ensuring that file handles are opened and closed properly.
  • Increasing the hard and/or soft limits for the total number of open file handles.

If Hubitat has access to the underlying Linux OS, could they use a tool as simple as lsof to identify offending processes?

1 Like

That is correct, and there are tools like lsof. but, to make matters worse, the OS provides you information on which process uses what amount of resources, however, you would only see that the JVM uses them. You still don't know what within the JVM does it. That is why it is often so hard to find these things, especially in systems that have a multitude of inputs and outputs...

EDIT: Remember that Bruce always says that it wouldn't make sense to show the CPU load or the memory footprint. That is exactly why, you would only see that the JVM uses that much of the CPU and memory, but not what driver/app within the JVM...

That pretty much just "delays" the "when" but doesn't solve the problem. I would not change it unless you are talking about "huge" databases, like in the TB or bigger range

2 Likes

Interesting....never thoughts about an fd leak. I've given up getting more information, I have a ton of stats coming up for even sources, frequencies, etc and non feel correlated. Your logs are the most interesting, but I'm not sure I see those. To be honest a notification and reboot every 2 weeks doesn't bother me a ton, it's lame but shrug.

The hubitat guys seem pretty good, so I assume if it was straight forward they would have fixed it a while ago. I assume they can repro it, or would have ssh'ed into a system exhibiting the problem or ask to do so. So I'd have to assume it's a bit sneaky, in the bowels of the JVM, a 3rd party driver, bsp issue, or de-prioritized.

As you point out the read errors with a file length of "-1" imply it didn't open the file, or it doesn't exist. It's also interesting to see the DB in use which is H2, which makes sense given it's a java system. Since it's an embedded Linux system I'd jumped to the conclusion they would have surely gone with SQLite due to it's robustness in harsh environments, but shrug.

Here's a zoom in the last 2 events, 2nd seems to start around 3am, but I haven't found this to be typical, and maybe it's acutally at 8pm the day before if you look at the RM4 latencies? Sadly the rise is quick on a monthly scale it pretty smooth/slow on an hourly scale. it's just odd that it flattens out. Anyways:

I've been told they can't repro it, that's what support says at least. Thus the WoMM comment I made earlier. I believe they would've fixed it a while ago, if they were focused on that instead of rewriting of RM for the 4th time and such.