[RELEASE] Zooz ZSE42 WATER LEAK XS SENSOR Driver

New version posted

E.g.:

Hey, look what I got this morning... 7s reporting - after working fine since pairing. Stopped on its own after ~50 minutes.

@agnes.zooz I hope tech support is able to figure out what is going on with these devices and/or prove it is a hub issue. Although even if it were a hub issue - something like the hub not sending an ACK - I still don't think the device should spam the mesh with reports for that long.

1 Like

What started the reporting? Was there water detected, did it start after its 12 hour wakeup/check-in, or was it just random? For me... at least as far as I've noticed, it's never random. Only after an event.

Hard to tell.

• Definitely no wet/dry event
  • The hourly event cleanup already culled out the events from the time it happened, so can't verify if it was during a 12 hour check-in or not.

We're trying to replicate this to see how we can possible address the issue. Random occurrences are the most challenging to troubleshoot but we're definitely looking into it. I'll keep you posted if we're able to find the root cause here.

1 Like

This jives with one of the things Zooz support wrote back to me recently.

The sensor would only try sending the report multiple times if the hub didn't confirm receipt of the information.

I don't really have a way of knowing what the hub is doing other than looking at the logs. I'm hoping they work better with the 2.2.9 release.

Yes, but even then.... I alqways thought the device should not try to send messages "forever", even if not receiving an ACK from the hub. It should try a few times, try a different route a few times - then stop. But it is a complicated topic, and there are different message machnisms, so I could be wrong as I'm making a few assumptions on what the device is actually doing.

Eventually someone will get some sniffer logs while this is happening, which is what the Zooz devs really need to understand what is happening at a message level.

• 1.1.1 (09/16/2021) - Fixed bug that qould throw an error if LED parameter wasn't set in preferences.

New version

• 1.2.0 (09/21/2021) - Moved wakeup interval setting to the end of updates, and changed delay from 300 to 500ms to try and make updating the config more reliable.

New version

• 1.2.1 (09/22/2021) - Changed DebugLogging command to not have a blank field as 1st enum to fix rendering issues

Up to $21.95 but still a good price.

Hello, is this driver in HPM yet? I could not find it.

Nope. I'll try to do that sometime this week.

1 Like

+1 for adding this to HPM :slight_smile: Thanks for all the hard work!

I see there's now a built in driver for the ZSE42. Do we know if its the same driver? Any advice on using this one vs. the system driver?

Edit: It does look like your driver exposes more options.

It isn't the same driver. Hubitat develops all of their drivers internally, and the source code is not publicly available.

The in-box drivers get official Hubitat support, and support the most important functions but don't always expose all device specific parameters.

So in general my advice is -

• If the in-box driver does what you need, use that as it has official support.
  • If you need additional device specific features that the in-box driver doesn't expose, then use a user driver (if available). Knowing, though, that while they will almost always work, there is no official support for these by Hubitat (or often the author, as they move on to shiny new things).
1 Like

@JasonJoel consider adding this to the Hubitat Package Manager app. It makes installs and updates easier for the users.

Actually, I'll probably go the other route and deprecate it altogether since @jtp10181 has drivers, and they are in HPM.

I never made any for the ZSE41 and ZSE42 since you did, and actually the built in drivers I think give you pretty much everything you could want. I am actually using the built in drivers myself.

If there is a desire for a custom driver though I could probably make one pretty quick based on the ZSE44 driver I made. I would add it to my Zooz Sensors package on HPM.

1 Like

Thanks for correcting me!

Not the 1st thing I remembered incorrectly today. lol

1 Like