[RELEASE] Zooz ZEN32 Scene Controller (community driver)

I'd start by posting the rule here and checking Logs for errors.

No errors in the logs it looks like the same as when I manually send it and it worked.

Looos OK to me. Next I'd enable debug logging in the driver and see what it does (action logging for the rule wouldn't hurt either--could also be something there since it works from the device detail page for you).

New to Zen32 here. Love it so far.

I can see above in the thread where folks are talking about the extra LED blinks upon a button push. I too would like to avoid/eliminate them as I’m using LED brightness and color to indicate various settings in my home at-a-glance. These extraneous blinks just create visual “noise”.

What I can’t tell is whether anyone has found a way to avoid these blinks. Any pointers?

FWIW I’m using the built-in driver for the moment, so that could be my problem?

You'll need at least firmware 10.20 as well as to set parameter 23. I don't know if the built-in driver offers that, but the Baaix Z-Wave Tool could if not. I believe use of the Indicator command class avoids that as well, which my driver supports, but that was a later addition that I don't think the built-in driver offers.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t see a way to accomplish with the built-in driver. I’ll give yours a try. Thx

Neither the built in or this community driver have an option to directly change that newer setting. You can use the Set Config Parameter button on this community driver to set it manually.

I have also forked the driver for my own use and added all the additional settings to it, which is posted here: https://github.com/jtp10181/Hubitat-RMoRobert/blob/master/drivers/zooz/zooz-zen32-scene-ctlr.groovy

Thought I added that a while back, but I might have just done it in a copy I made and never finished. :joy: (Should be an easy addition...)

1 Like

FYI @jtp10181 and @bertabcd1234 -- I just noticed today that they have a new firmware available (and a new 800LR version) for the Z32.

None of the enhancements were enticing enough for me to update right now, but if you 2 are considering poking around with the driver, I'm not sure if this latest update would be welcome news or just more annoying crap to deal with :sweat_smile:

Hadn't seen that! Looks like they didn't change too much but added a few things that are (currently still) applicable to both hardware versions as far as a driver would be concerned.

1 Like

I suppose some folks will at least like the new LED color options... The current options work great for me, but offering more choices was a shrewd move by Zooz.

2 Likes

Ooooo they added more colors. I took that to them from another user on here as I thought it was a good idea. I am surprised they finally added it, I figured it was long forgotten about.

I will be adding all those new settings to my forked driver once I get mine updated. @bertabcd1234 you can steal my code all you want. I know my style is a little different than yours so a PR may not applicable unless you want me to give it a shot?

Cyan, Magenta (looks purple), Yellow (sort of orangish)

2 Likes

I've added the new parameters, new colors, and other options that I think should address everything that has changed recently. If there are any issues, let me know!

It should be noted that I don't have an 800-series device to test with and have yet to update the firmware on my 700-series ZEN32 to test the new settings there, either (it's actually not in use at my home anymore--I'll be near it this weekend), but from the docs it seems like they should all be similar. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried to load the new driver, but received an error message when trying to save. It was expecting a ]. I’m sorry that I didn’t write down the line number.

Thanks for creating the driver.

Sorry, little typo. :smiley: Fixed now. (You might want to wait a few minutes for the "raw" GitHub cache to update if you're using that.)

1 Like

Thanks. It looked like a minor fix. I’ve already loaded it. Seems to working fine.

I just received the 800LR version a week or so ago. One thing to note as of now it appears the firmware for that hardware isn’t working with the Indicator class. I have let their support know this. This means that you can’t turn a LED indicator on, off, or flash with this driver using the setIndicator() methods. You can still turn them on and off using the parameters however. Hopefully this will be corrected in a future firmware version.

2 Likes

I heard back from support and they indicated that this fix is scheduled for sometime in October.

2 Likes

Pardon the ignorance here, but I'm trying to interpret the parms listed here. I've been playing with them in order to eliminate the extraneous LED flashes and can't quite figure it out..

My use-case: I'm only using them as scene controllers (no connected loads) and no 3-ways. They are used as (1) a switch, turning scenes on and off physically from the wall, and (2) to control room-specific "automation overrides" that activate (when held) or deactivate (double-tap) motion lighting and other automations.

My translation of the above for configuring the device driver =

• set parm #19 to enable physical and zwave
  • I want no flashing (because LED brightness and color are used in my setup to indicate states), so I have #23 to disabled.
  • I have parm #24 set to Enabled
  • and I have "Relay LED Indicator Model" from @jtp10181's fork set to 'Control with "Set LED" command'
  • #20, #21. #26 do not apply, and I have #22 disabled.
  • Since I'm not using Associations (yet), I have #25 set to None.

Anybody see a problem? And why would I still get interim LED flashes given that #23 is disabled?

When watching the log, I notice that the driver will produce 2-5 repeated events -- e.g., "Scene Controller LED #5 set to Red" or "....set to On" milliseconds apart.

Appreciate any ideas!

What firmware are you running on your device? (And I guess now what hardware model do you have?) The "Device Data" section under "Device Details" should tell you if you aren't sure, or there are other ways to verify.

Parameter 23 sounds like the only important one for your question. Hardware v2, recently released, has this already; you'll need at least firmware 10.20 for parameter 23 on the original hardware.

In related news, I silently released some driver changes with updates from @jtp10181. :slight_smile:

3 Likes