[RELEASE] Zooz ZEN32 Scene Controller (community driver)

You are correct.

@bertabcd1234
Will this driver work on the new Zen54?
I don't have this yet, but I'm expecting it within the next month.

I can't imagine that it would (at least for anything besides on/off), given that the ZEN54 is an in-line dimmer, while this is a 5-button in-wall scene controller.

I'd expect a built-in driver for the ZEN54 at some point, though, if nothing else already works. Zooz is normally pretty good at sending devices to manufacturers for integration.

2 Likes

Repeating this question that I didn't see answered.... It seems like a driver could expose these, at least as switches, and perhaps even as RGB child devices that simply have really coarse actual values. (I.e. ask for purple at 90%, you'll get red or blue at 100%.)

That would be handy, since you could then do Switch Bindings etc. to keep them in sync with other devices.

It could be exposed that way certainly, but I think that approach is messy, and it's honestly not something I plan on doing at the moment. You can achieve the same effect, I suppose, by creating virtual switches along with some rule to modify the switch and device states as needed, then using those virtual devices in whatever apps you wanted. Custom commands are my preferred approach to this problem in general and something you could just do directly with a rule instead if you wanted (and is already possible to do).

That would make it very similar to my driver for the RFWC5, which is a similar but much older device. Also very hard to find anymore.

I use Switch Bindings with my RFWC5 devices, and it works very well.

I have a Zen32 in my kitchen in a 3way config; lights are hue bulbs. Local Control is disabled, zwave control enabled. Is it possible to return the state of the switch controlling the relay while keeping the relay separated? Example I would like the large button on the zen32 (button 5) and the dumb 3way switch it turn the bulbs off via hue but not turn off the relay so that the bulbs remain powered. understand that I could just turn the relay back on before I want to do something with the bulbs but if I'm trigger hue scenes that would be a pain. I see that preference 20 allows to send report of when the dumb switch is toggled as on or off. My thinking was that this could be sent as another value or child device.

So I just saw that Zooz is now partnering with a 3rd party to provide engraved buttons for the Zen32. That's awesome! It pushed me over the edge and I just ordered my first zen32. Super excited.

Hi everyone, I have this switch and was wondering if this scenario was possible.

Press Button 1 (The little top left button) and it turns on the lights connected to button 5 (The big button) and lights connected to another Zwave switch in Hubitat.

I have Switch Binding installed as an app and that's taking care of my virtual 3 and 4 way lights. I thought I could do the same with this switch, but there's no way for me to specify which button on this switch to use. Thanks for any advice!

Use Button Controller. Setup a rule for button 1 to turn on the switch and whatever else you need to do. The large button is tied to the on/off commands on the device so that will turn on the load connected to it.

2 Likes

You could also use "Simple Automation Rules" to accomplish this.

So, i just installed one of these switches and have the switch connected to power but no load. I've set it to disable local control but allow zwave. Id like for the big button to trigger a scene when single pressed and a different scene when double pressed. Based on the above documentation, it looks like that would be buttons 5 and 10 respectively. I have a scene set to have button 5 "pushed" trigger one scene, and button 10 "pushed" trigger another scene. Yet nothing happens when pressing or double pressing the button. I know my scenes are working correctly because i can manually trigger button 5 from within the device page.

What am i missing? Does the trigger need to be set "held" or something else instead of "pushed"?

No, "pushed" should be the event. Keep Logs open as you tap and double tap the button and see what button events it shows (in real time) as being generated while you do so. As long as you have "Enable descriptionText logging" turned on in the driver, you should see something there; the "Events" button/tab on the device detail page would be another place you can check, though only after the fact.

If you don't see the events you expect, also enable debug logging and see what comes through then when you perform these real-world actions.

DId you happen to do a firmware update on this after pairing? If so, try a "Configure" command in the driver, at least, or maybe even a re-pairing. This is sometimes needed with this brand after firmware updates.

Is anyone having issues with changing the LED? I cannot get it to consistently change from a rule when even the debug logs show it gets the command.

Are you on the latest switch firmware (or at least something close--not all of this was in the original, I don't think)? Leave the rule out for a second and see if it works as expected from the device detail page.

I am on 10.30. From the device page, it sometimes does not change either.

I don't see any errors that might suggest a problem or anything else that gives an idea on where to start looking. I've also never seen this problem before. Does it work if you try the command again a few seconds or even a minute or two later? If so, that would suggest a network problem, possibly including device range. If you can find a command that consistently fails, it could be a driver thing. I'd also make sure that if you're using setIndicator() too that it isn't conflicting with your desired outcome.

I am not using setIndicator at all. I can send the command again within a few seconds and it normally takes. This device is the closest device directly below the hub by around 3 feet.

I'm trying to get the device to flash and I tested the command from the driver which seemed to work. I then added the parameters to a rule and it seems to be exactly the same. However when done from a rule it doesn't work?

Any idea why/ how do you set the flash correct to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

I'd start by posting the rule here and checking Logs for errors.