[RELEASE] Zooz Garage Door Opener

This looks like a great app. Is there any reason you couldn't use a Shelly 1 instead of the Zooz multirelay? I only have on garage door and will solder to a secondary remote door opener.

Welcome @trihokie85 ! I have the same question.

@trihokie85 @ekestel

Zooz and @krlaframboise make the app code available. License permitting, you could modify it for your use case.

2 Likes

@aaiyer thanks for pointing out this was a development with Zooz and @krlaframboise I didn't realize that the first go around. Anyway I decided to give this a shot since I prefer a zwave solution to wifi anyways. The overall process couldn't be easier. I have a newer liftmaster opener where you can't jump the switch wires. Instead I bought a remote opener, opened it up found the points you need to jump to activate the switch and soldered some leads. I had to hack up the case to get it to go back to together and even then when I shut it closed the button would activate so I drilled that spot out on the button. I've used a samsung contact sensor in tilt sense mode for a while to act a manual garage door sensor and repurposed it to use with this app.

The Zooz multirelay and garage app were a piece of cake. I also added a rule that causes the garage lights to flash when the door is closing and the relay is activated. This is my preferred safety mechanism rather than an annoying beeper like on the myQ I had before. I think the whole project took about an hour and honestly the majority was trying to remember how to solder. Its amazing that a DIY solution is so effective when the myQ hub is such a PITA

3 Likes

Zooz Garage Door Opener App 1.2

I released a new version that supports sending push notifications when the door fails to open and/or close.

4 Likes

Hi - I was using this with SmartThings and I am now trying to get it up and running the same way on Hubitat. With SmartThings I used your code so it went like this on my two garage doors:

1. Button pressed
  2. Beacon/siren triggered immediately that would run for 4 seconds after button pressed
  3. Door would open/close 3 seconds after button pressed

I have the two garage doors set to open and close just perfectly now with Hubitat, and while I can delay their opening/closing through your code, I can not figure out how to get that immediate 4 second response from a beacon/siren when the button is pressed. Making the beacon/siren go off is no problem, but the best I can do is a 1 minute duration, which is way too long.

Any advice? Is there some kind of code that can run for just a few seconds like I used to have with ST?

Thanks!

This should be much easier with Hubitat.

The door delay setting should be set to 3 seconds, which will make the opening/closing status change immediately and the door start moving 3 seconds later.

You'd need to setup a Rule that triggers the beacon/siren when the door status changes to opening/closing and execute the off command with the 4 second delay option.

If that delay option on the off action doesn't support seconds then add a 4 second delay action in between the beacon/siren on and off actions.

1 Like

Ah, OK, that approach makes sense. I'll try that tonight - Thanks!

So I installed these succesfully and created a small and a large garage door. Now the question is, how do I make the tile on the dashboard for them?

The child device it creates for each door supports the "Garage Door Control" capability so there should be some sort of garage door option in the dashboard.

I have a question about the zooZ Zen16. After wiring it up, can you still use the original wall button and wireless remotes? I'm assuming yes... but I want to make sure.

Yes, as long you wire the Zen16 in parallel with the wall button wire

But keep in mind - most modern day wall button is not sending analog signal to the opener instead it send a digital signal where you will not be able to open or close it by touching the wire together.

Instead you will have to get a module that send the digital signal to the opener and connect it between the Zen16 and the opener.

1 Like

Right. If you search these forums, you will see that people solder the ZEN16 relay contacts directly to the push button contacts.

in the last few days google home and alexa cannot close the door. i can from maker API, and i can from hubitat app or the web page. but alexa and google can only open it. not sure what to do.

Which child device are you using with them?

For alexa i am using the garage door child, same for maker API. for google the light switch child.

I installed the Zen16, tilt sensors and app yesterday.
Today I found that unplugging the Zen16's power adapter (simulating a power failure), cycles the doors. That is, if open, they close, and vice versa.
By changing master relay setting from restoration after power failure from prior status to off, they don't operate and stay the way they were before the power failure.

What's the story? I made no other changes to relay settings.

Hrmmmm ... I will have to test that when I get home from work ..

I think I have unplugged mine before to move it around but I don't recall it opening or closing the door.

Well, I messed around with it tonight. Somehow, some of my apps got messed up. It started by me being confused about which Zooz child relay, since I didn't name the children on either of my two Zen16s. Next thing, I was restoring from a day before, then two, then three, then back to one. Restore was less than perfect for me. I wound up removing the garage app, renaming the component relays for both devices, and rebuilt the apps involving each one.

Long story short, it behaves as it should with the Default box checked for resuming previous state upon power restoration.

I guess I solved my own problem, lol.

good catch.. changed my settings thanks

thats a bug that should be reported to zooz.. it shouldnt turn on when they were off. maybe they all turn on when booted?