[RELEASE] Zooz Garage Door Opener

Would it be possible to disable/remove relays show they don't show up in the device list?

Thank you for the head up!

Do I update just by overwriting the existing app code with the new raw code from github and save?

Yep. Just did that exact procedure with no problems.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

That can't be done without using a custom handler for the MultiRelay and I don't believe my SmartThings handler can be easily ported...

I wanted to say thank you to @krlaframboise for putting this together. It works great on my home-grown controller: Yet Another Garage Door Controller w/ Hubduino

2 Likes

I just wish Google Home supported HE locks and garage doors. :cry:

I am surprised that Google Home don't support it, I find that strange,

My wife and I use Apple Homekit on our iPhone to control all of our door locks and garage door. I thought maybe since Apple Homekit support it then Google Home support it as well too cuz they are always competitive each other when it come to apps.

You could overcome this using a virtual switch, but the problem really comes down to security. Without the support for a PIN code, anyone could simply yell through a window to open the front door or the garage door and a Google Home device will do as it's been told. Amazon dealt with this security vulnerability by adding a lock code for locks.

Although I do not have any Amazon Alexa devices in the house, I can control it by voice using the Amazon Alexa app on my phone. This is useful when I'm not in my car, like when I'm leaving for or returning from a bike ride, and only because I haven't taken the effort to add a keypad to open/close a garage door from the outside.

Ah I never thought it was possible to yell it from outside to unlock doors or open garage door. Interesting ..

My wife and I are Deaf so we don't speak either but I was plan on getting Alexa or Google Talk for our hearing children some day.

Now, I am having second thoughts about getting it for them.

Thanks for the head up ..

I haven't had any problems controlling my locks using the community integration ([Alpha] Community-maintained Google Home integration). I'm even prompting for a pin before it will unlock (no pin for lock).

1 Like

I had no idea this existed. After a few hours of messing around with it, I can now control my garage doors and my locks via Google Home with PINs. I can even control it from Android Auto -- score!

Thanks, @amdbuilder, and thanks to @mbudnek for creating this solution!

1 Like

This looks like a great app. Is there any reason you couldn't use a Shelly 1 instead of the Zooz multirelay? I only have on garage door and will solder to a secondary remote door opener.

Welcome @trihokie85 ! I have the same question.

@trihokie85 @ekestel

Zooz and @krlaframboise make the app code available. License permitting, you could modify it for your use case.

2 Likes

@aaiyer thanks for pointing out this was a development with Zooz and @krlaframboise I didn't realize that the first go around. Anyway I decided to give this a shot since I prefer a zwave solution to wifi anyways. The overall process couldn't be easier. I have a newer liftmaster opener where you can't jump the switch wires. Instead I bought a remote opener, opened it up found the points you need to jump to activate the switch and soldered some leads. I had to hack up the case to get it to go back to together and even then when I shut it closed the button would activate so I drilled that spot out on the button. I've used a samsung contact sensor in tilt sense mode for a while to act a manual garage door sensor and repurposed it to use with this app.

The Zooz multirelay and garage app were a piece of cake. I also added a rule that causes the garage lights to flash when the door is closing and the relay is activated. This is my preferred safety mechanism rather than an annoying beeper like on the myQ I had before. I think the whole project took about an hour and honestly the majority was trying to remember how to solder. Its amazing that a DIY solution is so effective when the myQ hub is such a PITA

3 Likes

Zooz Garage Door Opener App 1.2

I released a new version that supports sending push notifications when the door fails to open and/or close.

4 Likes

Hi - I was using this with SmartThings and I am now trying to get it up and running the same way on Hubitat. With SmartThings I used your code so it went like this on my two garage doors:

1. Button pressed
  2. Beacon/siren triggered immediately that would run for 4 seconds after button pressed
  3. Door would open/close 3 seconds after button pressed

I have the two garage doors set to open and close just perfectly now with Hubitat, and while I can delay their opening/closing through your code, I can not figure out how to get that immediate 4 second response from a beacon/siren when the button is pressed. Making the beacon/siren go off is no problem, but the best I can do is a 1 minute duration, which is way too long.

Any advice? Is there some kind of code that can run for just a few seconds like I used to have with ST?

Thanks!

This should be much easier with Hubitat.

The door delay setting should be set to 3 seconds, which will make the opening/closing status change immediately and the door start moving 3 seconds later.

You'd need to setup a Rule that triggers the beacon/siren when the door status changes to opening/closing and execute the off command with the 4 second delay option.

If that delay option on the off action doesn't support seconds then add a 4 second delay action in between the beacon/siren on and off actions.

1 Like

Ah, OK, that approach makes sense. I'll try that tonight - Thanks!