[RELEASE] Z-Wave Firmware Updater

Seems to be working after a reset. However did you ZEN27 ramp rate still work? It seems mine instantly turns on regardless of what ramp rate is set. Ramp rate only works if turning lights on or off from the physical switch.

1 Like

Didn't try it. It actually goes to a closet light so I never use the ramp. But when I get home later, I will try it and report back to you.

Scott

1 Like

I can't get a url from the download button. Right click does nothing. Left click brings a save to box, and I can't access the url shown in the url box.

1 Like

When you left click the download button it should bring up a new window with the download URL that triggers the download. you have to catch it before it autocloses.

If you want to PM me your shareable link, i can get it for you.

1 Like

Another problem with Zooz multi-relay ZEN-16. Got this far and has been this way for 15 minutes. What do I do?

1 Like

That means it's done. Put the device driver back. You may have to re-add it to the hub, but it's done

1 Like

After exclusion - otherwise the hub will be left with stranded zwave devices that can really mess with the zwave network ... (Speaking from experience while beta-testing this tool).

3 Likes

If you miss the exclusion, a Zwave repair would fix it though, right?

1 Like

Nope. It does not.

I needed to add a secondary zwave controller and delete the stranded devices. My hub had slowed to a crawl and debugging by @bobbyD revealed the issue. They're supposed to be cleared during the nightly maintenance process, but it didn't happen on my Hubitat.

Worst thing of all - @bcopeland and @BorrisTheCat specifically warned me of this possibility, and I still forgot to exclude the updated switches, which had reset themselves, before adding them back.

4 Likes

Not to derail the thread, but how would you fix that then? I've had to force remove devices before without doing exclusion but thought that after re-adding them a z-wave repair would fix any issues.

1 Like

Responded by PM. Please follow up on the thread indicated in my PM, so this one isn't derailed.

3 Likes

updated with importUrl .. I had been forgetting to put this in my drivers..

2 Likes

I'm only updating the firmware because I can. I have no real pressing need to do so.

So if it comes down to the point of needing to exclude, re-add and then have to rebuild all my rules with these switches in it, I'll just leave them on the old firmware.

2 Likes

Hey bcopeland,
Thank you for doing this! Question, and I might have missed it above and forgive the ask if it is a legal issue, but can we extract firmware from a device? I have almost a hundred various GE/Jasco switches, dimmers and outlets with various firmware levels. I've asked GE/Jasco, and well, they are not very helpful. I was hoping to maybe extract the latest version from a newer device and apply it to the others? Maybe not a possibility...

1 Like

Yeah, I would do that also, except I had an issue with power reporting and also an issue with it hard freezing. The original firmware might have been an issue. Given how many times I tried to fix it and now how many times it took to do the update, Fingers crossed this will solve the issues.
So far so good.

1 Like

This is not currently a possibility .. There are provisions in command class versions that I haven’t seen on devices yet, and there is no guarantee that the manufacturer will support then

2 Likes

Got it. Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a ton of Zooz Zen22 dimmers that i need to update. By chance was that one of the Zooz products that has problems with this updater? I REALLY don't want to have to exclude and repair, and have to redo all my automations.

1 Like

Not sure

1 Like

I did one of these and several Zen21 switches. The firmware updated fine, but also reset the switches. If I were doing it again, here's what I would do:

1. Replace the first switch in rules/apps with a placeholder virtual switch
  2. Update the firmware on the first switch
  3. When the update is complete, check if the switch is still paired to HE. If it is, all you need to do is replace the placeholder switch with the real switch. If it isn't, then:
  4. Exclude the switch
  5. Include the switch
  6. Replace the placeholder switch in rules with the newly included switch
  7. Proceed to the next switch

Edit: I didn't do step 4 and it messed up my z-wave network within a day. But when all is said and done, the firmware update was totally worth it. Thanks @bcopeland for providing this tool, and @agnes.zooz for the firmware files. Also thanks @bobbyD for helping me identify what I had done to mess up my z-wave network!

7 Likes