[RELEASE] Weather-Display With External Forecast Driver

[UPDATED] V2.1.5 01/12/2019

myTile redesign: added icons, Chance of Rain, Precipitation, Barometer.
Download new icons from my repository to your iconStore: All icons that start with 'wi-' and end in '.png'
(GitHub - Scottma61/WeatherIcons: WeatherIcons for Hubitat Drivers)

Matt,

How do you get this to work in a dashboard? Thanks

Select your device; Pick a Template of 'attribute'; type myTile.

Thanks Matt...

Is that something you had to create or is it a feature of dashboards?

The 'myTile' is an attribute that is defined in the driver. I believe my 'myTile' may be unique, but I started from a myTile I originally saw in @arnb's driver and I have enhanced it. Adding any attribute to the dashboard is a built in function of the dashboards.

I made several minor adjustments/corrections throughout the day, but nothing big enough to create a new version number (yeah, I'm am a spare-time coder). If you pulled the driver code before 7:00 PM EST Sunday night, I suggest you refresh it again now.

Thanks Matt. Nice work..

[UPDATED] V2.1.6 01/21/2019

• Cleaned up some display formatting.
  • Expanded wind direction text (e.g. from 'ENE' to 'East-Northeast')
  • Improved Dark Sky condition mapping for condition text and icons display.
  • Code cleanup

From Weatherunderground:

We are hoping that the gateway for obtaining keys on the new API will open on February 15, 2019. In order to provide PWS uploaders with time to transition their API calls, all current WU API keys that are linked to a PWS will stay open through Friday, March 1, 2019. That gives you two full weeks to sign up for a new key and change your calls.

I am not sure how many people many be using this driver, but I don't think it is broadly used. My thoughts are to remove the Weatherunderground forecast option completely since it will be even more limited in who can use that option after March 1st. The Dark Sky forecast data has completely replaced my personal forecast usage and I have not relied on WU for a while now and I have not missed WU. So I would be interested to know your opinions:

• I use the driver and would like to keep WU as a forecast option.
  • I use the driver and will use a forecast option other than WU. (APIXU or Dark Sky)
  • I use the driver without an external forecast option.
0 voters

Thanks.

It is unanimous. The next version will remove Weather underground as an option. I'll have a new version out this weekend.

[UPDATE] V3.0.0 02/16/2019

• Removed Weatherunderground as a external forecast source.
  • Reduced Polls of SunriseandSunset.org to once a day or upon preferences update.
  • Code optimization

Because WU has been removed check that all preferences are set and then save preferences.

1 Like

Maybe just a coincidence but I updated to the new driver (worked fine) but my hub slowed to a crawl
had not made any other changes today
restored to an earlier version and back working fine again

Any errors in the log? There is no slowdown noticeable on my hub.

dev:31022019-02-16 10:18:24.667 pm errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toDouble() on null object on line 615 (updated)

dev:31022019-02-16 10:18:24.652 pm warnWeather-Display Driver - WARNING: No response from DarkSky API

dev:31022019-02-16 10:18:24.648 pm errorWeather-Display Driver - ERROR: http call failed for DarkSky weather api: groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Bad Request

dev:31022019-02-16 10:18:24.282 pm infoWeather-Display Driver - INFO: DarkSky: Executing 'poll', location: Kinniburgh

dev:31022019-02-16 10:15:47.608 pm errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toDouble() on null object on line 615 (updated)

dev:31022019-02-16 10:15:47.584 pm warnWeather-Display Driver - WARNING: No response from DarkSky API

dev:31022019-02-16 10:15:47.576 pm errorWeather-Display Driver - ERROR: http call failed for DarkSky weather api: groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Bad Request

dev:31022019-02-16 10:15:47.086 pm infoWeather-Display Driver - INFO: DarkSky: Executing 'poll', location: Kinniburgh

dev:31022019-02-16 10:15:33.330 pm errorgroovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: dev1550380295524173664243.updateLux() is applicable for argument types: () values: []

going to reload it and try again

The errors indicate that the Dark Sky API pull failed .... that probably cascaded the other errors. Make sure you load the new code and save it, then check all your preferences and save those.

I didn't have the "Station Data File Location:" filled in correctly which cause the cascade

But I still see a temporary slow down when selecting the new driver or saving preferences or polling or even just selecting the weather device itself seems to take a long time but after completed the rest of the hub appears to return to running fine again.

created a new api key just in case but same results

no more errors though

Glad it is working. I have not seen the slowdown on startup. Hopefully that was a one-time thing.
I'm interested in knowing if you see any more slowdown after it it is up and running.

Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if you see anything else that needs my attention.

thanks for the driver
still works fine
I just never saw the slow down with the old ApiXU driver vs the delay with darksky driver if you try to open another tab or do something else.
Not a big deal

1 Like