[RELEASE] Unified Thermostat Driver - MELCloud, MELView, Kumo Cloud and more if you want

Hi @Madcodger,

Thanks for that. It does look like the min / max settings are now being recorded correctly in Fahrenheit, compared to your previous set of logs.

Looking at your most recent experience, it appears you are trying to set the unit to a temperature below the minimum that is configured for heating. You appear to have a range of 61F to 88F (16-31C) set for heating, or I have detected it incorrectly. Are you able to see in the Kumo app or do you know the range that is configured for the unit when in heating? The fact you have it set below this already makes me wonder whether the code has not picked it up correctly...

Thanks,
Simon

Here's something interesting, Simon:

I'm able to use Kumo Cloud to set a minimum temp as low as 50F, But using the remote control (infrared, I believe) we are able to go only as low as 61F, as you note. And, I don't see a setting where I can change that. But Kumo Cloud absolutely allows me to go down to 50F, and my wife sets it to 55F regularly, as the shop is open only 4 days/week, and will likely be closed entirely from the end of Dec until early May (it's in a "tourist"/rural area in the state of Maine, where even most of our local restaurants close down for much of that time. Our population can more than double in the summer).

So, the min temp should be 50F, not 61, if we're working through Kumo Cloud. How can I next assist you? And again, THANK YOU for your work on this. I certainly hope it will help many others, and I owe you a bottle of those corn squeezings when we're done!

Joe

1 Like

Hmmm, interesting. I chose to enforce the min / max settings in the code, bumping the temperature you choose back up to the minimum in this case, mostly to avoid any wildly incorrect temperatures being set. I might look at introducing two sets of changes in the A/C unit child driver:

• A preference setting on each A/C Unit to "Enforce Platform Min/Max Settings", defaulting to on (the current behaviour), but allowing you to turn this off and so still set the lower temperatures. As part of this I will include some sensible min / max limits in the driver to still keep things in check
  • Min / max settings inside the HE device so you can configure these independently of the platform settings

I'll try and get the first of these changes out over the weekend and the second one will probably sit behind the local control that I am still working on.

Simon

@madcodger - Do you know what model unit this is? I'm not aware of one that goes that low. It may be a programming error with the thermostat unit. That's where the temp limits are "programmed", but it doesn't mean that's what the unit will in fact do. Check the model against the technical specs and you'll know something useful. I believe there is a place in Kumo Installer menu where you can adjust the min/max. Could be wrong.... but might have been setup there in error. The unit can't be magic'd into doing what it's not capable of anyway. (obviously) But the good news is you can set up a Hubitat rule to monitor the temp via kumo/direct and turn the unit off when you reach your magic # and back on when you get to whatever trigger you set. Of coarse you loose the efficiency of the 5 stage unit and if you called Mitz tech, they may be able to advise on whether it's more costly to coast at 63 vs turn off/on at a lower # manually.
I'm not sure what it would do if Kumo was set at 50, but if we're talking heat, it's probably idling at 63 anyway, not sure. I'm by no means an HVAC mastermind, But I know my units won't go lower or higher than the specs regardless of setting. It basically turns the 'out of spec' # into the min/max as appropriate. Your units may be different, so I'd check the books or call mitz tech, they're helpful(ish).

From the hardware (indoor unit, wall wart, etc) the specs will look like this:

and from the Kumo install manual

What is the standard setpoint range of cool and heat? In
Cool/Heat, most units have a standard range of 61-88
degrees F (roughly 16-31 degrees C ) and that full range is
accessible. Google will query the adapter for supported
temperature ranges and user-configured minimums and
maximums, and will abide by those.

• Edited for clarity
1 Like

Hi @bikesquid and @sburke781 .

This unit is a MSZ-FS18NA, and it definitely goes down to 50 without a problem. That said, I do seem to recall setting that minimum limit myself in the installer app (after I installed the wifi interface) and will check it later today. In this area, 61 F would be viewed as laughably high by many, as we have lots of buildings here that remain heated but at a low temp setting during the winter. Before we moved here permanently, we kept our vacation property buildings at 50F while away for weeks at a time, and that was only because we were worried about some furniture becoming damaged at lower temps. Heck, I'd probably go as low as 40F in this old building (Hmmm... Need to see if I can do that).

This unit was just installed a few weeks ago, but the local installer in our rural area doesn't seem to know beans about automation, and not too much about Mitsubishi units (they install primarily Daikin). They didn't even remember to order my wifi interface despite me specifying it and noting that automation was my primary reason for choosing Mitsubishi instead of Daikin, so I just ordered the interface myself from Amazon and thanks to Youtube figured out how to install it and access the installer interface. It was incredibly easy (figuring out how to best snake the wire for the interface was the only challenge) and has been working perfectly via Kumo Cloud.

Anyway... 50 F is definitely achievable via this unit and Kumo Cloud, but not via the IR remote. I haven't really messed with the installer app, though, to see if the IR settings can be changed. Will explore and report back, but that isn't something that should affect this situation, I'd think, as Kumo Cloud and the unit itself can certainly go that low.

2 Likes

I'm so happy to find this thread. I have the Mitsubishi msz-fs15na... the WiFi adapter arrived yesterday afternoon and as soon as I figure out how to remove the mini-split cover and install it... I'll be adding this AWESOME driver! Thank you for working on this!!!!

1 Like

Well... it took 20+ days for me to figure out how to install the WiFi board in my mini-split :frowning_face: but I finally got it installed. It took 2 minutes to install your driver and BOOM... worked right away. I'll have to play some more with it but right now, it looks GREAT!!!

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

2 Likes

So far, this unified thermostat driver has been working perfectly... but I've noticed a constant pending Scheduled Job and the schedule field looks off to me. Is this something I should be concerned about? Even with this issue, it has been working exactly as I hoped and expected.

I'll double-check, but that looks like the regular polling job to get the status of the units every X minutes, 10 minutes in your case.

That makes sense. Thanks.

1 Like

I am getting the following error upon entering the correct Kumo credentials into the device driver:
retrieveAuthCode_KumoCloud: Unable to query Mitsubishi Electric KumoCloud: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method containsKey() on null object

What should I do?

I'll need to take a look after work. Some initial stuff to check would be to make sure you have Internet access and that you can control the unit through the KumoCloud app

Thanks for getting back so quickly. It has been a dream of mine to get Kumo working for a year now, I just opened the Kumo app on the same mac and was able to adjust the thermostats without issue after punching in the same password and email. Could it be a problem with the URL?

Looks like I am getting data back from kumo if I enable verbose logging in the device settings.. I see the names of my 5 minisplit units. Perhaps it is an issue with the parsing of the data stream.

Sent log in pm

1 Like

Probably best just to pm me the logs, they can be quite lengthy.

I remember there were some differences in the data based on use of some grouping option in kumo, but I was sure I'd handled that. Maybe I hadn't handled it entirely.... Might need a bit of investigation ...

1 Like

I can confirm that moving all the zones out of the group "All zones" fixed the problem. So it is definitely the groups causing the problem.

2 Likes

I had in my mind it was your setup that meant I needed to cater for this @Madcodger, but can't find any notes on it.... weird.... Anyway, if I can get a before and after from @user410 hopefully I can piece the puzzle together. I certainly know where it is occurring, just not sure exactly why....

Hmmm... I'm not sure I follow on this one, Simon. My Mitsubishi has only one zone, as it's in my wife's tiny shop. So it shouldn't hurt my use if you need to remove anything. And, I'm happy to test something if you need help.

The shop has been closed for the season with the heat set down to its lowest possible setting but I can access it remotely. I have multiple zones on our home systems, but they're Daikins (which I continue to think are not as good as the Mitsubishi, btw). Anyway, lemmeknow how I can help.

1 Like

I'm probably mis-remembering where this occurred, could have been with someone else.... I was really just thinking out loud... Thanks for the offer... I'm sure we'll sort it out.

Hi,
Sent a pm with a log post group removal on the working system I previously sent a pm from the log when it was not working. Another odd behavior that I noticed is that if you change the heat setting in 1 degree F increments within an actiontiles connected kumo zone, the zone set point in the kumo app changes from a number to two dashed lines suggesting that the kumo app did not like how the temperature was adjusted. I am not sure whether this turns off the heat after such an adjustment but it does make one sorta nervous.