[RELEASE] Tuya Zigbee Metering Plug (w/ healthStatus)

Thanks, here is the information. Also, I am pairing it to a C7, which I understand does not have Zigbee 3.0, but perhaps would be able to communicate via 1.2 to the Mini Plug 2?

I also do have a C8 in the drawer, but I haven´t been comfortable starting to use it yet due to the FW issues in the past few months.

I am wondering though, if I am eventually able to pair this mini plug 2 with my C7 and they talk 1.2, would it change to 3.0 once I have the C8 installed?

EDIT: So let me add, after I re-paired the plug, it now seems to be working. I am able to turn it off/on and it is showing energy information. Previously the LED was pulsing amber and I was unable to get a reaction.

EDIT 2: Added another plug without any issues. Not sure what went wrong the first time.

1 Like

Yes, sometimes it takes more than one trial to pair some new Zigbee 3.0 devices to a C-8 hub.
I had success in some cases using the pairing option "Pair trying to avoid Zigbee 3.0 repeaters".

Thanks for the information. I am still running my C7, not sure when I will be brave enough to switch to the C8. I need the WAF to stay high :slight_smile:

A question, I have turned on temperature reporting, but nothing comes through. I suspect that the Frient plug doesn´t have these capabilities, but it does have overtemp protection, so I would think it has a temperature chip, just not exposed.

Also, as I am installing several plugs, I was wondering if you know of a way to copy settings between them so I can basically set them all the same in a quicker manner?

I have the older SPLZB-131 model and I don't see it reporting the temperature... I can dig further when I have the time.

There is an HE inbuilt app "Preference Manager", but I don't use it at the moment, you can experiment with it, although I am not sure how it will handle all the custom preferences.

C-7 and C-8 have different Zigbee radios inside, so it may be expected to observe some hickups when transferring a lot of old ZIgbee devices to the new hub. I chose the manual approach - it took me some time to manually move all (or most of) my Zigbee and Z-wave devices to the new C-8 hub, but I did a lot of cleanup of unused rules, drivers, etc.. Now running both hubs in a mesh.

1 Like

Hi @kkossev. I am using this driver for a Third Reality outlet, and there is a definite bug with the way energy is calculated.

I have been using this outlet for 26 days. The device uses a maximum of about 500W, which would make a theoretical maximum of 312kWh in 26 days (if it was using its peak power 24 hours a day, which it is not), and the driver is reporting 394 megawatt-hour (with a cost of 23k$, at 0.06$ per kWh which is also ludicrous).

I record the power usage every minute in a Prometheus database, and based on this, the actual energy utilized by that switch over that period is 110kWh… about 4000 times lower than what the drive calculates.

Any idea what is going wrong ?

Hi @mboisson ,

As this driver is aimed to support mostly the Tuya models, it has the energy reports coefficients (dividers) hardcoded into it. So it is quite possible that the Third Reality dividers are not correct..

I can recommend trying Jonathan's driver : New: Third Reality Power monitoring plug - #60 by jonathanb . You can switch temporarily to the HE inbuilt 'Device' driver to clear all states and state variables, before you assign Jonathan's driver. It is written especially for the Third Reality outlets and tested by many other users.

If it reports the energy consumption correctly , please post the State Variables, I will use the information to correct this driver too.

2 Likes

Thanks. I have updated my drivers to the ones you pointed to. I will keep you updated whether it works or not.

It does seem to report it correctly (or at least, it is much closer). Here are the states variables.

values : {0=2.8, 1288=0.0, 1285=121, 1291=0.0}
attributes : {1536=1, 770=3600000, 771=255, 1541=10, 1540=1, 768=0, 1539=1000, 1538=1, 1537=10}
1 Like

@kkossev Any update on a driver for a Tuya Zigbee power reporting plug?

I used the ‘Generic Zigbee Outlet’ driver and was able to turn it on and off with the app. Power reporting does not appear to work so I switched to the ‘Third Reality Power Meter Plug’ driver which still did not report power even though I set the threshold at 1 watt.

I see this AFTER I bought the Tuya trying to find a driver

And these are the details of the Tuya plug I bought

IMG_1436

If you have managed to pair this plug to your C-8 (it’s very difficult!) and if you can control the on/off state using the HE inbuilt generic Zigbee driver, then the Tuya driver should also work with this device. You may see a warning in the logs that it is not supported, simply ignore it for now.

Do you see anything on the live logs when you turn the plug on/off from the physical knob?

I was unaware of this driver. Installed and reporting with my C-7

Thanks again.

1 Like

There is a newer Frient energy monitor out. I ordered one that should arrive later this month.

Develco are one of the few Zigbee devices manufacturers that provide technical documentation for their products.

A sneak peek of the next version - what are the latest HE platform 'Status' column capabilities ... :grinning:

3 Likes

They are clearly an engineering company and high quality OEM. Do you know who they manufacture for other than Frient?

I think Frient is the only one.

So, do you think that Frient would be a company to look for when purchasing new Zigbee stuff, with an eye to quality, even if somewhat more expensive?

I'm located in the US. So far it doesn't look like Frient has a US distributor even though they have an office in CA. It's probably just a token engineering office or perhaps the investment folks.

Not sure if you are a technical person, but their docs are detailed enough to generate drivers for HE.

1 Like

It'd have to take a fair amount of study for me to get into this. Maybe over the winter. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@kkossev FYI: I received my Frient Monitor 2 and grabbed your driver.

I made one edit of this line:

private boolean isDevelco() { device.getDataValue("model") == "EMIZB-132" }

to
private boolean isDevelco() { device.getDataValue("model") == "EMIZB-141" }

And it seems to work. I have not put it through many tests though.

I'm saddened that this device isn't waterproof at all. Looks like its meant for the indoors. Probably why it's not sold in the US where almost all meters are outdoors. I'll have to extend the sensor leads and waterproof the sensor with some conformal coatings etc.

1 Like