[RELEASE] Tile Master - Display multiple devices that can be Controlled from the tile!

I may have solved my own question. Depending on how you setup your tile master tile (I'm guessing it is tied to any updates for related devices) you can setup a rule to send a custom "sendTile011" command with an empty string based on whatever conditions are required when you want to hide the A/V tile. For me that was a change in the harmony hub where no activity was active. This also required CSS which I am already familiar with to hide various titles and backgrounds. This would also require no code change. Including a device that changes state on a regular basis would cause this approach to fail.

Sounds interesting, keep us updated!

1 Like

There's certainly some promise there in terms of reducing the need for code changes in TM, but ultimately I think changes in TM would make a big difference in how easy this would be to implement. I'll provide some more details once I get some sleep. :slight_smile:

Having a custom action defined in TM to toggle on/off the display of a tile would be great. Nominating the rules inside TM to trigger this action would be awesome, but ultimately the ability to trigger this new custom action from RM would be enough for my usage.

Simon

lol, always a good idea! Also, feel free to mess around with the code. I do accept most pull requests and improvements are always appreciated.

Thanks

3 Likes

@bptworld

with the icons we have add / delete
can you add an option to edit?

i am currently using off-site links to icons, but spun up an Apache docker to host locally -- would like to just change links instead of having to delete all and re-do

Hi @bptworld,

I have had some success hiding a media control tile :slight_smile: I might put more details on another post I created a few weeks ago on this topic Hiding Dashboard Tile.

In the end I think it would stll be a better and more robust situation to have an option in TileMaster to stop showing a tile, perhaps still triggered through RM rules.

Thanks,
Simon

Don't see the need for this one. Each entry is only two lines, a name and a URL. Pretty easy to delete one entry and add the new one right back in.

1 Like

Now that I see what you are trying to do with the screenshots, I may be able to come up with something. No timeline but added to the list. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks @bptworld. No rush for me, I'm happy to keep tinkering.

Hi There.

I'm trying to pick through this awesome app, just trying to get my head around the basics.
I have created the maker api and a simple tile as below.
Every time I hit the button, it opens a new tab on my browser with all the device attributes etc

Have I missed check somewhere?

turn on iframes -- part of line 1 options

2 Likes

read the docs :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Also another question/ or work around.
I'm looking at my Harmony hub volume control. It has these attributes in the app
{"command":"volumeDown"},{"command":"volumeUp"}]}

Is there anyway I can catch these in tile master (maker API)? I understand tiles is looking for switch and lock for it to work.
I assume I can be a little hacky and create a virtual switch to control the volume via a little automation rule, but it seems a bit ugly.

Cheers :v:

Hi @Geoff_T.
How did you achieve the flame to be on/blank? Are you using a blank colour for off state and icon for on?

I created an icon that was just a transparent background for the off icon.

1 Like

Yup, that's the only way to get this to work is to base it off of a switch.

Like the changes in the new version. The spacing works better for my dashboards and I am going to use the device control on a couple of my tiles. Thank You!

Capture
I have a suggestion on the device creation process. When creating the Tile Master Driver device, use the "name for this Tile Device" (ie. Filter Pump Status) as the device label and keep your generated format of the device name (ie. TM - Filter Pump Status) as-is. Those generated names are not user-friendly on a dashboard. This will keep us from doing the dance back and forth with the iFrames setting to manually go into the device and change the label.

Also note the typo in the above screenshot.

I have noticed a performance delay in tiles updating from TM2 versus TM1. TM2 tiles are updating about 2-3 secs slower than TM1. This could be attributed to many aspects though. Wasn't really a concern for me, just noting.

As I was adjusting (and temporarily confused :grinning:) by the child app creating the driver devices now, I ended up with an orphaned driver device that had "tile01" set with the iFrames. I had to give a think on how to remove it, since I could not open the device page. The trick I used was to create a temp RM rule that set the "tile01" variable to random text. Then I could open the device page to remove it. This approach seemed easier than modifying my TM2 child app back and forth to remove iFrames from that orphaned driver device.

Where do we find the app numbers for individual child app's, so that we can copy entire tile setups? I tried using "0" to copy my first to the second. That did not appear to work. Will go back and test if the numbering starts at "1".

Edit: Hmm...I tried setting the number of lines first, before copying. I also tried a "1" based index. I could not get the tile copy function to work.

They work just fine on my dashboards, so I have no idea what you mean by this. The whole purpose of adding the 'TM - ' before the name is simply to group them together when viewing the device list. Makes it much easier to keep track of them.

Fixed, thank you.

Okay... did you really time this? Not something I'm worried about. This app is VERY complicated compared to TM1 so not surprised.

There are a few way to get the app number. Easiest way is to go to your app list and hover over the app. In my example below the app number is 872.
Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 3.18.18 PM

I guess this is just user preference, as I think those names look too "techie" on a dashboard for your average person.

I did not really time this. Just happened to notice as I was creating a TM2 tile, while also displaying the same TM1 tile. So both were on the same dashboard. I wasn't concerned either. Just noted my observation, in case it was an issue to someone else.

Thanks on the app number. Just getting ready to recreate my other tiles in TM2 that are similar. That will help greatly.