[Release] Tibber live power consumption beta version

For those users out there that has Tibber and Pulse for monitoring their power consumption you can find a web socket implementation for receiving live updates here.

Features:

• Live power consumption pushed directly from the Tibber API
  • An estimate of the power consumption within the current hour based on actual consumption and current power consumption

A few concerns: I have not been able to find a way of controlling the update frequency from the Tibber server, hence I am a bit concerned with the hub being bugged down with requests. I have added a switch feature so that the websocket can be opened and closed conveniently from a dashboard if needed. If the websocket fails it will not auto reconnect, this should be easy enough to implement, and might be added soon.

Norway is about to implement a new price scheme for the fixed part of the electricity bill, where you are charged different fixed rates based on maximum hourly consumption. Hence, my idea is to also implement an app that turns off power hungry appliances if the hourly consumption potentially will break into a new price limit.

5 Likes

Love it! :grinning: More stuff for Tibber is allways nice. (If I can keep Tibber with those insanly high electric prices we see right now, but that is another story… :slightly_frowning_face:)

Now I only need a Pulse to get this working.

An updated version is available in the repository with the following features added:

• Configurable run schedule (continuous, every 3 min, 5 min, 10 min, 15m min, etc.)
  • Auto reconnect on failed connection.
  • Motion sensor output for notifying other devices/apps in the system about possible over consumption.

I use the motion sensor output to trigger a Rule Machine app that turns off my domestic hot water heater to save power. The app then monitors the available power and turns on my water heater again when there is enough power for the water heater to run.

2 Likes

Ivar
Thank you l making this code available to the community. This is my first try in using the Hubitat and with your very good instructions I got this working on first try. Still have not figured out how to access the different output variables on the tiles though or to use this information for something useful like controlling the heaters etc.
Gunnar

Hi Gunnar,

To access the data from this device you can e.g. show current power consumption by using the "Power Meter" template, as shown in the picture below:

You can also see a projected hourly consumption in kWh by looking at the "Energy Meter":

Another "interesting" number is to look at is the calculated remaining available power to go over the set threshold, i.e. how much power can you use before you reach the threshold:

I use this number to determine when I can turn on my hot water tank again after it has been turned off due to "over consumption".

This threshold is configured in the device setting itself, e.g. in my case I have set the threshold to 10 000 Wh (10 kWh):

This is how my final dashboard looks:

1 Like

Tibber is discontinuing the current websocket sub-protocol, hence the TibberLiveConsumption driver has to be update. Updated version can be found here for those of you using this in Hubitat:

1 Like

Hi Ivarho, do you see a way to expand your driver to include the functionality of the price? In the Tibber app you can see the price per hour, so you could have an existing battery storage automatically charged with a switch whenever the price is cheapest. Merci and greetings.

1 Like

Hi @user6699 , thank you for your question. Actually if you head over to this App that I made: https://github.com/ivarho/hubitatappndevice/blob/master/App/TibberOutletController.groovy you see an example of how to do exactly what you are asking about. I use this app to control my domestic hot water tank.

Also I have one slightly modified to control charging of my EV car: