[RELEASE] The Flasher - Flash your lights based on several triggers

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but those are the worst bulbs I've ever tested! Do a search on my Event Engine thread. Another user was having all kinds of trouble so I bought one just to test with. The thing isn't worth the box it came in. :eyes:

Anyways, to get around it's SLOW response time, raise your 'Milliseconds for lights to be on/off' to about 1500.

After setting that, do a test with it only flashing 3 times. If it still doesn't work for you, put a complete debug log up and I'll take a look.

I'll be happy to test for you, but only if you want me too. It's working perfectly in WebCORE and I'm planning on leaving it there so I can keep my entire water leak notification routine in one spot.

Alright, I'll consider this issue closed then.

Thanks

Is it possible for this to flash multiple lights, rather than just one? I am Deaf, and there's some notifications, I'll like for it to flash multiple lights, rather than setting up 6 different flashers for specific events and then have it trigger all 6 for a specific event, and then another 6 for a different event?

1 Like

Sorry, right now it only flashes one light at a time. I've added it to my list of things to do. :grinning:

1 Like

Re: my earlier post (https://community.hubitat.com/t/release-simple-device-timer/16917/13), exact same behavior. Error when unstalling via HPM:

Hubitat Package Manager

Error Occurred During Installation
An error occurred while installing the package: Failed to uninstall app 
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bptworld/Hubitat/master/Apps/The%20Flasher/TF-parent.groovy, it may be in use. Please delete all instances of this app before uninstalling the package.

The logs don't say much of interest:

app:822021-07-31 17:53:40.373 infoParent Installed OK
app:822021-07-31 17:52:10.610 infoParent Installed OK
app:822021-07-31 17:52:00.361 infoThere are 0 child apps
app:822021-07-31 17:52:00.357 debugInstalled with settings: [:]

Help is greatly appreciated!

There is nothing wrong with how my apps are setup to work with HPM. The problem is most likely how you have HPM setup. :man_shrugging: Try poking around in the HPM thread. Usually the #1 issue is someone has hub security enabled but not setup in HPM.

First off, love the app! Exactly what I was looking for.

Second, small bug to report.
Using a time trigger with with an infinite number of times to strobe and a control switch enabled, the strobe will have a non-uniform cadence. It will be two strobes, where the first is approximately 1 second in duration and the second strobe is of the defined duration in the settings (ie. using milliseconds and a setting of 500ms, 1000-500). The next pair will occur after a delay of approximately 1 second. This pattern will repeat indefinitely until the trigger switch is detected. Further, if no switch is defined, this pattern will only occur once (thus the strobe will not continue indefinitely).
The pattern functions normally when using a finite number of times to strobe.

I can dig into the code later to see if I can identify the cause, but I wanted to bring this to your attention.

"This is the first time christopher3 has posted"

Welcome to Hubitat!

Absolutely, you can either send me a code snippet over PM or I except pull requests on GitHub.

Thanks

1 Like

New version on GitHub...

1.1.9 - 12/04/21 - Improved (hopefully) the flashlights loop, bugfix for double on when numFlashes == 0 (@marcopaganini)

Thanks!

Hi @bptworld ,
thanks for your hard work.
I have installed app in order to flash light when downstairs door is opened.
Needless to say it absolutely does not work, door opens, sensor changes to open and light does not flash.
Here is config:

Lamp does not turn on at all, but yet it works perfectly when turned on/off by hubitat switch.

Needless to say, you didn't select a 'Control Switch'. If you would have checked your log, you would have seen the warning.

Been working on this for a while.... might as well put it out.

1.2.0 - 12/20/21 - Major overhaul, check your child apps!

Hi @bptworld thanks for reply and new version, I have updated (using package manager) and updated configuration. This time it does something, it switches light off and light does not flash, here is the log

Seem so setColor(null) is the problem?

Here is the config:

Hi, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what. I'm hoping you can help.

I'm using the Flasher with your NHL notifications to flash a bulb when the Blues score. That stopped working recently. I think I've pinned it down to the Flasher Child app not actually triggering the bulb.

I see the sequence when I test the child app as shown, but the light never comes on.

Any idea what I screwed up?

Thank you!

Try the new version on GitHub... It's going to be a crazy day here so I hope it works! lol

Version updated. Getting an error now.

Take a look at that child app and make sure that a device is selected. Notice in the log it says, working on null.

Thanks

I checked the child app and a device was selected for the 4 presets I have set. I deleted that child and recreated it and got the same result/error.

Child App settings:

Okay, I'll take a look at in a bit. Crazy day getting goats and chickens ready for 18" of snow. :flushed: