[RELEASE] Telnyx SMS Notification Driver

Yet another SMS notification driver. :wink: This one supports Telnyx.

I use both Twilio & Telnyx at home and at work. Both are international carriers with global support. If you haven't aren't familiar with one, you probably know the other. They have similar base prices for a DID (phone number) but Telynx SMS rates (as of this writing) are about half of Twilio's ($0.0025 USD per SMS message). I use Telnyx for my primary VoIP transport with Twilio as a backup route.

The basis for this driver came from @ritchierich's Twilio driver set. As such, it also has a parent driver that creates child notification devices. You only need to configure the parent once no matter how many SMS recipients you may have.

Alphanumeric Senders are supported. This negates the need for an outbound phone number and allows you to have your messages come from "Hubitat" or "The House" instead of a number. Unfortunately, alphanumeric senders are not supported in the US or Canada.

To use this driver set:

1. Create a Telnyx account if you don't already have one. That link contains my referral code which will give you a $20.00 credit. That should cover a phone number and about a 100 SMS messages a month 18 months. You don't have to use that link but that's a lot of free trial time! FULL DISCLOSURE: I get a referral credit as well.

2. Purchase a local phone number and/or create a messaging profile if you don't already have one:

3. Copy your API Key:

4. Add both the [SMS container and SMS Device drivers] manually (Hubitat/Drivers/Telnyx at main ยท MHedish/Hubitat ยท GitHub) to your HE hub or via the Hubitat Package Manager (recommended).

5. Create a new virtual device, selecting Telnyx SMS Container as the type and then save the device:

6. Select the newly created device from your device list and then paste your Telnyx API Key from your Telnyx account. If you intend to use an Alpha Sender, move the slider. Click on Save Preferences. Once you do this, the driver will validate your API Key and retrieve each of the phone numbers associated with your account and/or the Messaging Profile IDs if you chose to use an Alpha Sender:

7. Select the phone number or profile you wish to use and click Save Preferences.

8. Enter a child Device Label and destination phone number and click on Create Device. The destination phone number must be entered in E.164 format (e.g. US and Canada: +18005550101, Cyprus: +35790863899). You can change the destination number directly in the child device without deleting and recreating the device if you ever need to change that number. No need to redo your rules or pistons.

9. You can create multiple child notification devices from the same page. Each will use the same Telnyx API Key and sender information.

Once the child devices are created, you can add them as notification devices in Rule Machine, webCoRE, HSM, etc.

I haven't added text-to-speech capability to the driver yet. It's not something I would use and, unlike Twilio, Telnyx doesn't have their own server to support the necessary XML. It could be set up with other free services (e.g. Uguu or Heroku) but that's would end up with a more complicated configuration. If there's enough demand, I'll take another look at adding TTS capability.

4 Likes

i dont like that they dont advertise any price on their website without having to contact sales.. Seems flakey to me.. Depending on who you are they give you a different price.. Why wont they post their prices.
sorry i found the pricing on the bottom after scrolling down.

not for me i gues my own domain lgk.com doesnt work

i get this

You cannot register using an email address from this domain. Use another email address or contact our support team if you need additional help.

The pricing link is on the top of their site. Messaging Pricing - SMS/MMS & More

As for your domain issue, it might be the way you have that domain name set up. I just looked and there are a number of DNS, MX, and web issues there. I'll bet their automated systems couldn't verify that domain.

I've found their support very responsive if you want to reach out to them or, perhaps, one of the other SMS solutions is best for your configuration.

UPDATE: This driver is now available via Hubitat Package Manager (HPM) Thanks, @dman2306!

1 Like

I have some credit remaining with Twilio. I've signed up for Telnyx with your referral link. Once I've ran out of the credit with Twilio I'll be jumping over to Telnyx.
Thanks for this!

You're welcome! Thank you for using the link too! :wink:

Hello!
I'm trying to create a new Telnyx Child device, and I'm having some difficulty.
In the logs it states:

The following is the device page for the container:

I've put in a Label and number in the create device box, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Any ideas?

Please send me a DM with the label and phone number you're entering in the Create Device box. I'll take a look.

Not quite working yet .. also your referral credit doesnt show on my account - is it supposed to be automatically added ? (It did list it at registration)

[error](http://192.168.1.237/device/edit/496)sendNotification: Telnyx Server Returned: status code: 400, reason phrase: Bad Request

Update: This is to do with my alpha send - it works without - I'll sort it

I'm not sure about the referral credit. Things bay have changed from my original post. I'll reach out.

It seems the credit is a credit after spending the first $20. That explains why I've never received any myself. I see a few people have signed up with my link but they're all pending.

So, it seems it's get a $20 credit after you spend the first $20.

I use them for my VoIP lines as well so I'm well past that mark.

Hi @MHedish

I installed an configured everything (AlphaSender option doesn't work btw), but I get an error from Telnyx when I try to send a test SMS
Telnyx Server Returned: status code: 400, reason phrase: Bad Request

I was pleasantly surprised to find Telnyx support around here (We use it in our 3CX as well), love the service

Nevermind. I found the problem.
I had to assign a Message profile to my DID in Telnyx.
Works fine now. Thanks!

1 Like

After the experience I just had with Telnyx I need to caution anyone thinking of going the Telnyx route you will need the patience of a saint, better just don't do it, go with Twilio instead. My saga started day 3 into using them pointing at just one cell phone (mine) and having sent very few sms alerts across. All of a sudden the alerts stop so I attempt to login to my account, nope totally blocked but did not display why. A while later I check my email and there is nastygram from Telnyx my account has been blocked for suspicious activity, huh? What the hell is suspicious about text msgs tha read "Garage door locked at xxxxxx", So I call their so called 24/7 phone support and after asking me a list full of questions he unblocked me and things worked for exactly 12 hours upon which I was blocked yet again, apparently the "Smoke detected in main hallway if this alert is not cleared in 120 seconds fire suppression will commence" was too much to handle and they blocked my account again. This time nobody answered their 24/7 phone support line, I waited over two hours in combined calls on hold to the point I was fuming. So then I emailed them, someone from India responds back and now wants me to prove this, that and the other thing along with sending them copies of my ID, I'm like NOPE. I just went through this last night, you have 15 minutes to get this resolved or I'm closing the account and filing a paypal claim. They respond back at 16 minutes saying they were escalating to their "special support team"....what is it about India call centers and "special support team" when they want to delay a resolution? I was happy to reply that I meant 15 minutes, not 16 minutes for another useless response, cancel the account I have already filed a claim with paypal and I have gone back to Twilio. Oddly Paypal issued the credit instantly which tells me Telnyx has received many Paypal disputes. Another thing to note if you use paypal to pay these crooks beware they setup automatic payment status which means they can go in at any time and debit your paypal account. Had I known that upfront they would have been a non-starter from the word go. My best advice steer clear of Telnyx...sorry to the creator of this driver, I know you spent a lot of time on it....

1 Like

Hello can you assist with my telynx,it stopped receiving sms few days ago

Hello can you assist with my telynx,it stopped receiving sms few days ago and the support is not helping

I'll do what I can, but this driver was never able to receive SMS, only send. Can you provide any details other than it "stopped?" Do you have any error messages or logs?

oh it was configured to receive sms via webhook
but now no messages come through and support says nothing is wrong

Could you share your piston or rule that you've written? I'm curious to see how you set this up to receive SMS as it was only designed to send SMS messages.

I can see how it would be possible to set up a driver to receive an SMS message via a webhook but that would require modifying the driver. Can you also share the modified driver?

I'm getting the same status code 400, can you please give more details on how you had to "assign a Message profile to my DID in Telnyx." I assume DID is a Decentralized identifier?