[RELEASE] Tasmota for HE - Auto-detecting Tasmota drivers + Tasmota firmware 7.x/8.x for HE (for use with Tuya, Sonoff and other ESP devices)

Hi @davidandjoyrichard , thanks a lot for you reply.

I have one request and one question regarding your explanation above. I am not a developer so I need to understand the logic to try to replicate it. Do you mind on sharing the entire code above with the variables declaration and such? That would help me a lot regarding the programming on my side.
The other question is related to Alexa is any other voice command. Using that virtual device does it supports voice commands?
One more question, do I need to use the modified tasmota fo HE or can be the the normal one from the official release?

Thanks once more.

Using the HE specific one has web hooks as a config option. This lets you put the IP address of your HE hub in, and it keeps them synced.

2 Likes

@rick.guthier thanks for replying. Would you have a tutorial or something related of the usage for the TasmotaIR and the TasmotaRF?

Is the custom firmware for this now redundant? Im looking in the console and I can see status updates from my Tasmota devices is being sent to my Smartthings hub.... How can I switch these to Hubitat? I cant find the websend details anywhere in the configuration of Tasmota....?
Thanks

Do you have Markus’ version? That one has a screen to enter the hub’s IP (the driver will also populate this I think)

I didn't, but I have tested it on a couple of devices and it does seem easier in Markus' version. Having done some more research it seems possible to configure notifications in the 'standard' Tasmota firmware, but perhaps requires some custom setup commands that I would need to research (can be done with Websend from what I can tell).

I dont know the benefits of each approach yet, but perhaps somebody else here does!

1 Like

I've only used Marcus's version since it was specifically modified to fill the gaps needed with HE. By adding the IP address of the HE hub in the tasmota devices, and using Tasmota Device Manager to add them to the hub, all Tasmota devices act natively as a Z-wave or Zigbee device do.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

First of all, great job and thanks for all the hard work bringing Tasmota into Hubitat more easily! Along with Tasmotizer, it is now relatively simple (even for me) to get devices integrated with Hubitat without RPi or other MQTT servers/hardware.

Still, I have a newbie question here. I flashed a Sonoff S31 with the tasmota-sensors-httphook-8.5.1.bin via serial/usb and was able to have Hubitat recognize the device utilizing the Tasmota Device Manager v1.1.1.1123T. I am able to control the plug through Hubitat, and the plug reports power usage with about a 15 - 20 second delay when a device is initially powered on. However, updates to the wattage power occurs only when I manually refresh the status of the device in Hubitat.
In my use case (monitoring power usage of a washer and dryer to announce when the laundry is done), I need to be able to monitor changes in power draw continuously, not just the power draw at the time the plug is turned on. I am currently not getting automatic status updates of changes in power usage (which I get from my Kasa EM smart plugs). I am trying to get away from cloud based solutions (my Kasa EM smart plugs do refresh automatically without polling but only every 5 minutes to keep from “overloading” the Hubitat) hence my move to Tasmota as I thought that T4HE was able to do this without polling.
Can anyone point me to a setting that I am missing to enable recording of power draw changes while the plug is left in the ON position? Or, is there another way to control the frequency of when the plug reports changes in power draw? I am using the S31 template and and everything seems to work except for the status changes.
TIA for any help!

@moh, are you using Markus’ version of Tasmota? If so, you may need to initialize it so that the Hub’s IP address is set on the device.

Alternatively, you can set the IP directly on the device via it’s web interface of Markus’ version.

Setting the IP allows the device to send its status to Hubitat. Otherwise, it needs to be polled which is, it sounds like, what you are experiencing.

Hi Sebastien,
Thank you so much for your quick response! I am using Markus’ version of Tasmota. I have sent the initialize command via the button on the parent device (although I’m not sure if this is what you were referring to). I’ll have to see if this works.

In Markus’ web interface, I had previously put in my Hubitat’s local IP address into the configuration menu where it asked for the hub ip (or httphook, don’t recall the exact terminology now). However, when I tried this, the plug became no longer recognized. So I resoldered and reflashed and got it into Hubitat again, but still with the problem with not reporting status updates. Again, thanks for your time and any further help.

1 Like

Yes, you want to hit “Configure” first, then “Initialize”.

Yea, it needs to go in this screen:

1 Like

Sebastien,
Thank you so much! I was just hitting initialize. I’ll try hitting configure first then initialize. BTW, in your experience, when this is properly set up, what is the refresh rate for the status updates?

1 Like

If that doesn’t work, try a “reset 5” command in the device’s console in the web interface. Then do a configure / initialize again.

1 Like

When properly working, what is your experience as to the status refresh rate (want to avoid polling as much as possible with Hubitat due to potential hub/network issues)?

For me, it is pretty much immediate. Generally less than a second for the status to be reflected in Hubitat.

Great! thanks for all your help. I’ve only been using Hubitat for about 7 months. This is a great community.

1 Like

Has anyone had any luck with the New (I think) Gosund DS 1 Dimmers. I was able to get them on Tasmota using Tuya Convert Easy Peasy. I found a version 9.2.0.4 with scripting that works great via the Gui and manually on the dimmer but cannot get that to work with HE. If I use the 8.5.1 Tasmota4HE with http hooks it communicates with HE but functions do not work with the GUI, HE, or manually. Is there a version out there anywhere of Tasmota for HE that has scripting enabled? Can it be done from the console?

As far as I know the highest version of Tasmota that will work is the 8.5.1. In the 9.2.0.4 does it have the option to add in the ip of the hubitat in the HttpHook section. If not then I don't think it will work. Maybe try the 8.5.1 sensor version of Tasmota (YMMV).

No that is the issue, the 9.2.0.4 does have scripting enabled but no config for setting up HE ip address. I'll try that Sensor version of tas4he and see what I get.

I have some Zemismart YH002 blind motors that I am trying to get working in HE.

When I flash them with the latest Tasmota 9.2 I have to set them up manually and configure everything individually on both the device and in HE. This works except there are no HE specific things like web hook or prescense operating.

When I flash the last HE firmware 8.5.1 all the HE specific stuff like autodiscovery, web hooks, presecense work as detailed but the level slider on the device requires 2 change levels before the motor will move.

eg. the first change is always ignored and a second change is required

The slider itself responds perfectly and quickly from HE and also on the device GUI so I think its actually something in the device firmware, has any had this issue?