[RELEASE] Sonoff Zigbee Button, Motion/Temperature&Humidity/Contact Sensor Drivers

I bought a five pack off AliExpress and have them on my network now for a couple of weeks. I haven’t put one in the bathroom yet to see response time but good to note what you guys are seeing.

Also they don’t seem to report temp very often either. Maybe because the temp doesn’t fluctuate enough. I don’t know.

1 Like

As far as i can see from the logs, they report both readings every 5 minutes. Thats ok for general monitoring but for automations its not much use at all.

Really need something that reports change rather than time

The guy that wrote the driver is no longer on here, so ive asked the question over in the smartly forum where he now resides!

1 Like

yeah I know markus is not here anymore.
I am using the built in drivers since Mike added them a few updates ago ... maybe i should try these drivers instead.

And i am definitely only getting humidity on a regular basis.

Sorry Steve , which drivers?

To be fair, I think a lot depends on the automations.

I use one of SNZB-02's to monitor the humidity in my Basement Utility. If it hits a certain threshold, the dehumidifier comes on -- so 5 minutes one way or the other is largely irrelevant. In a bathroom...yeah that would be a problem. In my case, the unit seems very reliable, and doesn't generate a lot of unnecessary traffic on my network, so it's perfect.

I like the motion sensors as well, although I wish the reset time was adjustable.

S.

1 Like

Sonoff drivers for zigbee buttons, contact sensor, and temp/humidity were added either in 2.2.4 or 2.2.5. I can’t remember which without going back to check.

Edit. Just found it. They were included in 2.2.4

As Far as i can see, there are 2 kinds of automations, Time based and change based. Time based obviously have no need for a sensor, where as changed based will always need one.

To develop and market a sensor which delays reporting change for 5 minutes is severely limiting its use, imagine what people would say if the motion sensor didnt report change in activity for 5 minutes???

Obviously some people may not need it to report small changes to avoid overhead and thats always a trade of i suppose. im not a dev but how hard could it be to have driver settings for this?

1 Like

OK Turns out i was using the HE drivers, not those that this thread is about DOH!

Ive tried these for 24hrs and they are, as far as my trials go, less reliable than the HE ones.

Ive messaged Marcus over at OHLA and am waiting a response and im going to message support about the HE ones.

Ive messaged support about the HE ones

I had an idea, dont know if its achievable so im going to research it, but maybe someone following this will know the answer?

is it possible to set up a rule that will ask HE to ask the sensor to refresh values under certain variables? is it called polling??

say for instance something like:

if the shower room light comes on or motion detected.
wait some time say 2 mins.
If the light is still on, then
poll the sensor every 15 seconds until
The fan comes on of the lights go off.
then stop polling

is that possible?

Honestly, I don't think it'll work, as I think the problem is in how and how often the sensor generates a humidity update. But heck, its worth a shot.

Good luck. Note I think you'd have to write a polling loop, as Hubitats polling is set up for old non + devices, not Zwave + devices.

S

I am not a 100% sure on this but this is my understanding.

These devices sleep and only wake up and report when some internal config triggers a wake up, so polling the device is not possible.

If the device doesn’t expose the configuration registers the driver can not configure it and you get what you get.

I have an inovelli 4in1 and you can configure it to report if the temp changes buy x or configure it to report every n minutes.

These devices may have these registers and the driver just doesn’t have that feature support yet, or maybe the registers are not R/W, or they might not even be readable.

I have these Sonoff temp/humidity sitting right beside a couple Aqara temp/humidity. The Aqara ones report everything on a regular basis. The Sonoff only report humidity.

2 Likes

Ok Guys,

Ive done a little more experimentation with theses sensors and Markus's drivers.

i uninstalled the sensor and removed the battery for 10 minutes. I re added the sensor and it installed itself with Markus's driver automatically. if it doesnt then i suggest you change the driver before you start playing with it.

There seems to be no set time for reporting see below. it reports changes in both Humidity and Temp when it senses changes.

if you look at the events below youll see the difference in time reporting which can be as little as one minute and as many as 14.

For instance if you look at line 12 it reports 41.7 @ 16.44hrs and then 14 minutes later @ 16.58 42.8 on line 10.

What was really interesting is that on line 8 it reports 54 and then 100% a minute later. This was when i blew my hot fetid breath through the sensor and it reported within seconds of my blowing through it.

I have replicated this several times now.

Try doing what i did, remove them and re add, let me know how you get on.

3 Likes

Ok I will give it a go. Probably won’t be until tomorrow. I started a bathroom reno yesterday and I have a program manager all over me :wink:

dining_motion_model1
So these sonoff motion sensors are being discovered as contact sensors - application 03, whereas a proper discovered motion has an application 04 and a real model number MS01bathroom_motion_model1
I have put in a ticket to sonoff about this odd information thinking that their product may have been cloned and are on sale on Amazon or that their end of line production programming has balls up a batch of these.
Has anyone had any feedback as to why they are discovered as contact sensors, yet changing the driver to the 'user' zigbee sonoff motion sensor' allows them to work as motion sensors??

Being discovered on HE or the sonoff hub? or the ewelink app?

This was a straight discover with HE.
I don't use any other hub and have no need to complicate my system. Previous sonoff motion sensors were seen as motion sensors not contacts, just this last batch. This was my concern. Maybe the last few hub updates has changed things, device to HE lookup table?

ive never had a problem with the sensors being detected properly and even if they had, then its a simple case of changing the driver.

However the HE drivers dont appear to work well for the humidity sensors. there are other drivers (by Markus), but the dev is no longer able to support them due to politics. if Markus's drivers become broken due to HE firmware updates, then unless HE pay some attention to their own driver the sensor becomes useless.

ive put a support request into HE and haven't had a reply i have several of these and i just want them to carry on doing the job that i have them doing.

1 Like

Just started out with Hubitat and purchased a bunch of Sonoff stuff because 1, it's cheap, 2 it's readily available in the UK and 3, it's cheap. Turns out, they also work pretty dam good! MASSIVE thanks for these drivers, they're awesome!

1 Like

Is the Sonoff Button Controller driver yours just added to the latest release, 2.2.5.131?

Just realized I never responded to you.

I have removed, pulled the battery and reincluded. I still can not get these things to report anything other that humidity regularly.

strange, you must have duff units.