[Release] Reliable Locks

The virtual device is what @jwetzel1492 recommends in the Reliable Locks documentation.

1 Like

@basic261 I have been using Reliable Locks for some time now and it has helped me quite a bit. When you are setting up Reliable locks you choose the actual lock. After setup you use the "Wrapped Lock" device to expose to rules, dashboard, etc. Delay Before Refresh is how long to wait before Reliable Locks refreshes the actual lock after you tell the Wrapped Lock to lock or unlock. The Auto refresh every 30 minutes is a refresh it will do all the time every 30 minutes if you select it. It helps to keep my locks more responsive so I keep this on and it hasn't affected battery life for me.

@lelynch do you have your set at the default 6 seconds? If set to 3 seconds does it refresh the dashboard quicker?

Yes @basic261. I have mine set at the default 6 seconds with the 30 minute refresh turned on. If you set it to 3 seconds it should refresh faster and thereby update the dashboard faster. For me I found that refreshing faster did not always give a good result. Not sure if the lock was still asleep when the refresh was being sent or what but it's more accurate at 6 seconds in my case. You can always try it and see what you get. If you have issues, it's easy enough to change back.

Hi @basic261, yes you should use the virtual device in your rules. (One exception is if you are also using my "Lockdown" app. For that app, I recommend connecting it to the physical devices, even if you also have virtual Reliable Locks wrapped around the physical devices.)

You can try setting the refresh delay to something smaller than 6 seconds, but it may not give good results unless your z-wave mesh and your lock are very fast. For the refresh to work well, it needs to happen after the locking has completed and the z-wave mesh has settled down again.

@jwetzel1492 Just curious if you've had any time to work on adding a second try to the unlock yet?

Anyone else having issues with reliable locks now? I am seeing the following error in the logs:

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'displayName' on null object on line 167 (wrappedLockHandler)

Are you on 2.1.7? I haven't upgraded to it yet. Still running 2.1.6.

Ooh, one other thought. Have you changed the name or display name of the wrapped lock? From looking back in on my code, I'm not 100% convinced it's smart enough to adjust to that.

Also recreated another copy of the reliable lock instance for this one lock and it gives me the error. Pretty sure it is not related to 2.1.7 as I just upgraded to it and reliable locks was not working for me before.

@jwetzel1492 I just stopped using Reliable Locks, as it is now always issuing the error.

Been running the Reliable Locks app since it was created.. Never had an issue with it so far. Works great for me. I have two Yale locks, one is Z-Wave (non plus) and the other is Zigbee.

Well I deleted all the devices and the app. then I created the app and one of my Zigbee locks and now it works again.

So if anyone gets this same error message do that and see if it fixes it.

Just wanted to say thanks for this, works like a charm thus far.

Cheers
Anson

2 Likes

@jwetzel1492 Can this app be made to help locks that will not lock/unlock correctly? In addition to requesting updated status, could it also resend the command to lock/unlock?

Use case;

I have locks that do not listen to commands all the time. I have created a rule that monitors lock status/mode and resend the lock/unlock as needed until the lock changes. But it has to check constantly. See this thread for details.

My thought is if reliable lock could do it, then it would only have to run checks on the lock that is not responding and only during the time it was asked to change, and the change really happened. If Reliable Locks could do both status, and command updates that might help a lot of people that have lock issues with HE.

I am not a coder and have no idea how you guys make this stuff work, so sorry if this is a stupid questions. Thanks for the current app, and consideration.

Hi @TechMedX, yes it will re-send lock/unlock commands several times. It doesn't keep sending it long-term, but it will do a couple retries.

I tired the app a few weeks and it didn't help lock the door. I could see refresh request in the log, but never saw it resend the commands. Is that something that needs to be set? Could there be an option to adjust when to resend commands, and when/if it stops trying?

Sorry to be a bother. Just trying to find someway to use these locks in HE without going back to ST hub.

Oh, you are right. That is a feature I put in my other lock app: Lockdown. I could add it to this one.

2 Likes

Downloading!!! :bowing_man: God I hope this fixes my locks! If it does tell me where to donate!!!

What would be the difference between Lockdown and Reliable Locks be if you add this feature? Why choose one over the other?