[RELEASE] Rainforest Eagle

Yes my rainforest is working fine, I have the rainforest app and it works.

When I go to the IP of the rainforest this is what it looks like.

See the post above about the 200 by [tiptonjeremiah]

Thanks @augoisms for a great driver! Couple of comments:

• totalEnergy (and state.energyStart) currently only uses deliveredValue - shouldn't both of those include […] - receivedValue for accurate reporting for net metering users (i.e., people with solar systems)?
  • I made the following two changes:
    1. Add an additional Daily option to reset the dingy use every day at midnight
    2. Add an additional setting to allow forwarding the reports to a secondary uploader (e.g., PVOutput) - enabling that value and putting the correct URI for the uploader allows the reports to be received both locally by HE as well as somewhere else (I was previously uploading to WattVision and pulling from there for both ST and PVOutput but after my migration to HE I'm not uploading to HE and then directly forwarding to PVOutput - I've been running this for a couple of days and it seems to work as expected).

Is there a way to open a pull request for just this one file without forking your whole repo on Github?

@aamann Those sounds like good updates! I believe you do have to fork the repo though. Alternatively, you could post as a gist and send me the link in a PM.

1 Like

Hi all - thanks for the driver aamann! I just updated the code. When I navigate the hub url under the state variable its just a blank white page. I feel like I'm missing something.

The IP is my HE IP + port 39501. I checked the IP of the rainforest and I am able to login and am able to go the rainforest cloud and see my usage.

Let me know if I am missing something...thanks

This driver does not provide any UI outside of the device detail page. The hub url state variable is there to provide the address that you need to use for the provider URL in the Rainforest UI.

1 Like

Oh I did miss something... wow. I'm sorry.

I'm here looking at my rainforest webpage (locally) not the cloud site. Thank you.

I am trying as well with the Eagle-200, like others sitting in initializing. Will reboot and try again.

@nicolas - Did you ever figure this out? My Eagle-200 is also just sitting at initializing. I tried a plethora of combinations to hope that it would start sending data.

Just pushed an update with the following changes:

• Add support to reset energy daily, add secondary cloud provider (Thanks, @aamann !)

@augoisms Thanks for the effort that was put into this! My primary goal was to get Energy and Power values tied to rules and this is extremely valuable!

The Cost and Cost per hour aren't showing up (like they do on the Rainforest Cloud and in WattVision) but I haven't dug into that yet. It might sort itself the next time I reboot the Eagle.

I was also stuck on initializing for the longest time with my Eagle 200 so @ethelredkent, @nicolas and @mark.wang86 may find this feedback helpful. I needed to set my URL to "/Rainforest" (rather than the internal IP) on the Rainforest > Settings > Cloud > Custom setup before it would work. I believe that will work for other 200 owners providing the Hubitat Device Name and Device Label are also set to Rainforest.

Hopefully hosting external photos isn't frowned upon here. The ones in this album should be helpful.

2 Likes

@DanaSmetanick Hey the pictures in album are very helpful. I have had Rainforest Eagle 200 for over a year and have been able to push consumption data into PVOPutput along with my PV generation data from the inverter monitor cloud. However, I have been struggling to get Rainforest to come up with action rules for the current energy received and delivered variables so that I can generate suitable triggers for a zigbee Heater Controller. I was hoping I can use the EnergyMeter variable available in Hibutat E instead. What is the experience with the Eagle Push driver? Is it stable?

I'm in a similar position. My Eagle 200 is nearing a year old and the solar system went live August 17th of this year. I have SMA inverters and considered using openHAB but that would have been cloud based by the time I got IFTTT involved. This is the perfect solution for me.

I wanted to set rules so my hot water heater, main furnace, mini split and similar loads run primarily when I'm exporting more than 500Watts to the grid. I'm only 1.5 days into using this driver with one rule setup for the Rheem Econet Water Heater but it is exactly what I wanted.

Logging disables 30 min after activating but I grabbed a sample for you. 8 data points per min is perfectly fine for my needs:

power -1347 W DEVICE 2021-10-26 01:13:59.106 PM EDT
power -1384 W DEVICE 2021-10-26 01:13:52.233 PM EDT
power -1423 W DEVICE 2021-10-26 01:13:39.527 PM EDT
power -1431 W DEVICE 2021-10-26 01:13:31.509 PM EDT
power -1470 W DEVICE 2021-10-26 01:13:25.900 PM EDT
power -1500 W DEVICE 2021-10-26 01:13:16.453 PM EDT
power -1481 W DEVICE 2021-10-26 01:13:07.755 PM EDT
power -1488 W DEVICE 2021-10-26 01:13:03.624 PM EDT

I have a Sinope Heater controller hooked up to the Eagle 200 and I can achieve this using the Action rules from within Eagle. This means I can turn it off or on depending on power (watts) exported at any one point. But this is not very helpful because power exported could fluctuate constantly depending on weather which will keep turning heater on and off. A more stable way of operating the water heater would be to use the Energy Meter Value (WattHour) to ensure a more stable on time of water heater is achieved. I wanted to find if Hubitat is able to compute the EnergyMeter value with data pulled from Eagle 200 using the Rainforest driver. It would be great to see a dispaly of this data. Refer Rule 5.0 triggers.

I do not have any devices connected to the Eagle 200 (other than the meter) but that Sinope 50A load controller looks pretty nice! I tossed this together quickly the day I got the Hubitat integration working:

In hindsight, I think I need to ditch one of those triggers. I sent more than 10kWh back to the grid the day I created the rule and Shower Time triggered so the Power Meter and Energy Meter functions worked as expected. Sadly, I have not had enough PV production this week to trigger it more than once. I need to fine tune this for short gloomy days.

To clarify, Shower Time is an old virtual switch (Legacy RM connector) that I had accessible via Google home and set via Hubitat rule to turn off after 1 hour. The Shower Time rule sets my Rheem heat pump water heater to 130F and it reverts back to 120F after the hour -or- a verbal command to Google to turn it off. This prevents short run times on that compressor.

I set the Automatically Reset Energy option in the driver to Daily. The Energy meter zeros daily at midnight so the minimum 10kWh rule specification works. I think you will find that helpful as well.

Thanks. Exactly what I had in mind. So now I have to go and order the Hibutat. You may also be able to use the energy consumed value that is available from the Sinope RM3250ZB controller to create more flexibility in deciding how much generation you want to divide between other devices like pool pump, house heating and so on (and maybe battery storage one day). But I don't know if Hibutat Rainforest Eagle driver computes it. It is available as a rule variable in the Eagle action feature when Sinope controller is connected to it.

1 Like

@augoisms Rainforest has released a new EAGLE 3 device. Will your driver work with it?

@Busthead It's unknown at this point. I can't see any documentation for the new model regarding the uploader API. There's a good chance that they did not change it, however.

Are you using the local API or the Uploaders capability:

I have emailed Rainforest to confirm the EAGLE 3 implements the same local API.

From Rainforest support:

Local API documentation: https://rainforestautomation.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/EAGLE-200-Local-API-Manual-v1.0.pdf (Bear in mind, the documentation is a bit outdated but should be fine for meter data)

The developer resources are for the Eagle-200 but should work with the Eagle 3 just the same since the basic architecture is the same.