[RELEASE] Rainforest Eagle

I figured it out. The correct answer is:

The Rainforest Eagle initiates the connection to your HE using the TCP port number specified in the Rainforest Eagle Device hubURL.

Hi, thanks for all the work.
I am a bit confused by the port #. I have tried to set this up on my Eagle 200 but all I get is "Initializing". I have used various permutations, ie not adding the port to the URL. Port 80, etc. but to no avail.

You have the port number correct. I would remove it from your URL though.

• URL http://192.168.xxx.103
  • Port 39501

Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, I did try it that way, but same thing i.e stuck on initializing.

Are you seeing "initializing" for the connection status? If so, it sounds like the Eagle is reaching the hub but something else on the Eagle is going wrong. Can you verify that the Eagle is connected to your smart meter?

Label. URL Format. Status
hubitat. http://192.168.xxx.10.3 XML:RAW Initializing

It just says status, I don't know if this means connection status, but probably.
My Eagle is connected to the meter and has been for a couple of years with no problem.
Has anyone else tested this with a 200? that you know of?
Maybe I should reboot the Eagle.

Were you able to get it working eventually? Just to double check, are you masking your IP for posting here or are you actually trying to use 192.168.xxx.10.3 (not a valid IP)?

I asked about it being connected because mine occasionally it looses its connection to the meter and needs to be rebooted. When the connection is lost it won't send anything to Hubitat.

It doesn't look like anyone has affirmatively said they have they have tested with a 200. However, it should work as the relevant parts of the API are the same between the two.

Hi Augoism,
I have had no luck so far. I plan to contact Rainforest but have not had time yet. Yes, I was using a valid IP - just trying to keep my IP away from web-scrapers. Actually, I have never seen it lose its connection. Maybe because its ethernet connected. However, I will try rebooting again.
Thanks muchly for your continued help.

Hi Augoism,
I have an Eagle 200, which connected fine, but wasn't reporting energy as anything but 0. I noticed errors in the log. Turns out parseCurrentSummation(...) was being called with an invalid value in the parse(..) function.

I changed the call from:
parseCurrentSummation(body.SummationDelivered)
to
parseCurrentSummation(body.CurrentSummation)

This is line 92.

It seems to be working now. I'm getting energy > 0 now...

Hope this helps. If that makes sense, hopefully you can update your driver.
Thanks for the driver!

1 Like

Good catch, thanks for finding that! I have made the change and pushed an update.

Happy Holidays!

1 Like

I've added a cost attribute so I can see the monthly cost in a sharptools tile and in my Grafana dashboard without having to do the math in each one. Seeing the cost directly is more informative than just a kWh number for me.
Not being used to github I am not sure if I set it up correctly for consideration or not.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/augoisms/hubitat/4928ae493a4ea213eaf961f6556631216158216f/rainforest-eagle/rainforest-eagle.driver.groovy

1 Like

Thanks for the contribution!

I originally skipped over pricing logic because my power company, like many of them, has multiple tiers that result in your rate changing throughout the month. In fact, my power company is eventually going to force everyone onto time of use plans.

That being said, I like the idea of having cost for those that have simple rates. I think it would be better to get the pricing info directly from the Eagle however. Some meters will provide the current rate and for those that don't you can manually set the rate in the Eagle UI. I will work adding support for the pricing cluster from the API data. Stay tuned!

Thanks. Yes, I also have the rate entered into the Eagle manually and it is the better source.

I just pushed an update. There is now support for the following attributes:

• price, if available from the meter or set manually by the user in the Eagle UI.
  • cost, energy multiplied by price.
  • costPerHour, power multiplied by price
1 Like

Looks good. Thanks

I just pushed an update that fixes an issue with parsing the NetworkInfo cluster on Eagle 200 devices. I also moved the connection status from state to an attribute.

Thanks to @brucehb for helping to debug!

1 Like

My panel looks the same and I can't get it off initializing aswell.

Where are you seeing initializing (Hubitat or the Eagle UI)? Can you confirm in the Eagle UI that the meter is connected (4th panel). Also with logging turned on are you seeing any messages come through?

My eagle doesn't have a UI like this. When I go to the page it just says "connect wifi" and "disconnect wifi" and that's it.

This is the one I have
https://rainforestautomation.com/rfa-z114-eagle-200-2/

Unfortunately I don't have an Eagle 200, so I don't know how to direct you. Can you otherwise confirm that the Eagle is connected to your meter? If not, it will not publish any messages via the uploader API. Have you enabled logging on the device in Hubitat and observed any error or messaging coming through?