[Release] Philips Wiz Color Light Driver

As an FYI -- got some additional bulbs and this time instead of the laborious onboarding the app itself popped up saying some bulbs are available and found them via Bluetooth! This is a vast improvement. I wonder why it didn't work on other bulbs. I also noticed that one of the bulbs is in a new MAC address range 6c:29:90:..

Which brings up another general request - a comment field for all devices. Even better would be a JSON field for additional comments and notice like this. Of course both get-able and set-able (or marked readonly). Perhaps I should post this as a general request if other would join me in supporting it.

Just posted an update that has smarter packet rate throttling, which should speed up group switching. It also includes a few other other performance improvements and minor bug fixes.

Anybody seeing slowdown in group on/off switching, take a look and see if this helps.

I don't expect it to be truly simultaneous though, particularly if you're sliding a dimmer up to turn the group on. Without going into detail, it's a Hub issue, tied to the legacy Smartthings architecture, which mostly predates the current wave of wifi based IoT devices.

2 Likes

for some reason only 1 bulb will link to app or hubitat at a time...
I only have 2 but when one is set up the other stops working.
any ideas ?

SB

don't know why but working OK again.

Has anyone had any trouble getting the 4lite GU10's to work with this driver.
They use the 'Wiz Connected' app and the process for installing them and finding their IP is all pretty straight forward however I can't get HE to find my bulb at all.

The HE Wiz driver uses local UDP communication only -- it does not talk to bulbs via their MQTT<->Cloud path, which the Wiz app uses. I do not know if these bulbs support the local-only protocol. However...

In the Wiz app settings under "Security Settings", check that "Allow Local Communication" is enabled. If it's not, enable it and see if it fixes the problem.

Just as an FYI -- the WIz strips work fine with the Driver

1 Like

Ah, so they're not actually the correct bulbs then!
(I did check the local connection in the app and it is set)
So that's a lesson for me then, "Wiz bulbs" NOT "Wiz Connected" bulbs.
Now, how do I send these ones back....

The Hubitat doesn't "find" the bulbs. You need to explicitly enter the IP address into the device settings. (or use an app to do it).

So I must still be doing something wrong..
I now have 'Wiz Colour' GU10's (not wiz connected as before)
I have connected them to the wiz app.
I have found them on my network and given them a static ip
I have installed the HE wiz colour driver
I have created a virtual device
I have saved that device as 'wiz color light'
I have input the ip address of the light into said virtual device.
And that, as far as I'm aware, should be it.
I should have a working bulb but I've not no reaction from the bulb when I use any of the buttons on the virtual device.
Obviously the wiz app works fine.
I wonder what I'm doing wrong.?

Are the bulbs setup to allow local control, or is that turned off. For the driver to work local control needs to be enabled.

In the app go to the Security Settings section and make sure "Allow Local Communications" is turned on.

A few things to try:

• Even if the app says that local communication is enabled, try disabling it for 30 seconds or so, and then turn it back on. New bulbs may not have gotten the message. Just to be sure we're on the same page about this setting, it's the one on this page:

• On your hub, make sure the IP address is really getting saved. I've forgotten to do this a time or two -- after entering the address, you have to press the "Save Preferences" button, which depending on screen size, you may have to scroll down a bit to see.

• To check if the device is visible to the hub, open a terminal (or command) window on your computer and ping the bulb's IP and the hub's IP.
    (ping 192.168.xxx.xxx if you haven't done this before.)
    You should get a response from both devices.

Thank you so much, it was the pinging that did it!
Turns out the bulb was connected to some secondary router connection helpfully called the save as the main connection. My bulb is now fully working - makes me wonder if those 'Wiz Connected'. bulbs would have worked after all!!
Thanks again!

1 Like

@simon.ord, good detective work figuring this out! Glad you got it working -- I'd read elsewhere on the net that IoT devices sometimes have trouble dealing with multiple wifi networks with the same SSID, but it's not exactly the first thing a person would think of.

As an FYI, I reached out to Wiz to get the API and after getting it passed on to the technical people they say

We have received a reply in regards to your API request from our technical team. They have confirmed that at this point of time, we do not share API information as it conflicts with company interest.

They too suggest on reaching out via the Contact US option available on the Wiz website so your concern can be addressed much better or considered further.

Perhaps if others contacted support@wiz.world it would help. Or if there are better contacts.

This in sharp contrast with 小米 米家 (xiaomi mijia - Yeelight) which does document protocols.

I had the impression that a big part of their business model was selling their control software and cloud services to business customers. So it makes some sense that they don't want 3rd party vendors undercutting them there.

I'm just glad they do provide the UDP interface even if it's not well documented, because we've already seen quite a few cloud-based IoT companies with similar business models shutting down, charging for cloud service, or getting acquired by one of the data slurping giants. And personally, I much prefer the local network control option anyway.

We could have a separate conversation about business models. I just find it very risky to be at the mercy of a company who sees the empowered user as a threat. The protocol is out there in the wild but if they see openness as a threat then can do a Google and close the option.

Hi there, love this driver as it has worked for me for all my auto on/off rules.
however, i'm struggeling to manage to create a wake up routine - the effect nr is 9 but how to I trigger the bulps to that effect via rule machine? any ideas?

@ottomarwin, there's probably some arcane way to get rule machine to give a "Set Effect" command, but I've yet to figure it out. In this case though, you can cheat a little by using the mechanism I built into the driver to let the scenes app control effects. Just have rule machine set the color temperature to 6000 plus the number of the effect you want to run -- in this case that'd be 6009.

I'm new to Wiz devices, but I have used Rules Machine to handle non-standard things on my Lifx Z-Strip and it may be applicable. I think you can probably sub "setEffect" for "zonesLoad". Here's a link. Lifx Custom Solution.

On separate note, what is the reason that folks firewall their Wiz devices from internet access? I have a single device and don't expect to get anymore, it was an inexpensive candalabra format bulb.