[RELEASE] OwnTracks Presence

For another previous configuration I was told to put something in the DeviceID - I've removed it and left it blank which returns it to random like yours.

** "This is the right URL! Add it directly into the OwnTracks URL field and make sure your virtual presence device is configured with the the location/region and user (iphone) within the device preferences."*

That's what the Test URL returns. I even took it out and repasted it back in.

Going to try rebooting everything just in case.

UPDATE: rebooting Hubitat and my iPhone did nothing. Still getting the 500 - Operation cannot be completed error.

@brianwilson Just to be sure there were no lingering artifacts I re-copied and pasted the URL from within the app into OwnTracks. Verified character by character it is correct.

Still nothing but 500's.

@brianwilson UPDATE: so I took the nuclear option, deleted OwnTracks from my iPhone and reinstalled. Something I noticed this time over last time was, upon pasting the URL in place, the field above it filled with masked data. It did not do that last time.

Now I'm seeing this in Hubitat's logs:

I do not see the presence status of the Virtual Device BeachwalkerOT-iphone updating as a result, however.

Thoughts?

Make sure the URL for Owntracks has /location/iphone?access_token=....

https://cloud.hubitat.com/api/9049d1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx871f5/apps/194/location/iphone?access_token=4ca507xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx14e

Yep, it sure does.

HOLY --- I don't want to say this too loudly but we may have success. I'll keep an eye on it but the virtual device awakened and is reporting data:

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 7.14.55 PM

2 Likes

For what it's worth: I spent 8 hours with google mesh support only to find that IOS 14 added security "features" that disabled local communications. Settings=>Privacy=>Local Network. Might want to take a look.

@brianwilson hey - I'm trying really hard to get Owntracks on an iphone through a human proxy (which makes it realllllly hard).
I'm sure I've got the URL right (I copied and pasted to a browser).
In her phone setup and according to your install image from the github

does userID need to be 'user'?

Sorry, not my app...

@bptworld forehead slap #3... dang, getting a headache!

2 Likes

It should be whatever user is in your device configuration.

These are the directions I sent my Dad, he was able to follow them and get it working...

There are a few steps to getting it setup on each phone but I'll provide screenshots to walk you through it:

1. When you first open it you'll need to allow permissions. You'll need to swipe to the last screen then click the little check mark in the lower right corner to complete these startup screens.
  2. Click the hamburger menu in the upper left and that should bring up the menu, then select preferences
  3. Click on Connection
  4. Click on Mode and choose HTTP then click on Host and paste in the URL (different for each phone), then click Identification and for the Username field either enter the same as you setup in the Hubitat drivers for each phone and leave the rest as is and click the arrow in the upper left to get back to the preferences menu.
  5. Lastly we need to setup the region so click the hamburger menu icon in the upper left again and choose Regions on the main menu and click the + in the upper right corner to create a new region.
  6. In the Description field type the same region name setup in the driver exactly, it will detect your current location rather. Lastly click the Radius and set it to 300 and click the check mark in the upper right to accept the region, this is 300 meters so when your phones leave that area they will be seen as away and when they enter it they will be seen as home. Then hit the hamburger menu icon again and choose map.
  7. Click the share icon to send an update command then verify you added the drivers to the App and that it updated on the Hubitat side and once it is all setup finish adding the drivers to your away and home rules.

@Terk Thank you! I had succeeded with the Android fairly easily, but my iPhone knowledge is weak and trying to help someone via text, who isn't technical, has been really hard!
Success or failure, I'll post back. She and I are getting together this weekend and I'll personally have her phone in my hand :slight_smile:

@brianwilson ...OwnTracks looks promising. I just want to confirm one thing before I delve into this.....I have an android and my wife has a iPhone. Can I use Owntracks to setup a virtual presence sensor for both phones? Currently, we each have a Samsung arrival sensor in each car that I use to trigger RM apps to arm/disarm, etc., but I am tired of changing the batteries in these things. Would Owntracks work for the both of us, or do I need to install Geofency on my wife's iPhone and Owntracks on my android? I only need to define one location/region, that is our house, or specifically the garage.

2 Likes

You can use OwnTracks on both phones.

I continue to use a Samsung Arrival Sensor for my car, because sometimes I leave the house by taxi/Uber, and other times someone uses my car.

Because battery life of the Arrival sensor is so poor, I modified it to use two AA batteries. Now, I change the batteries approximately once a year. I used instructions from @Cobra posted on the SmartThings community forum several years ago.

3 Likes

Yes. As @aaiyar noted it will work on both iPhone and Android.

1 Like

@aaiyar ....Yeah....I thought about the battery case, but I have no soldering experience and I don't want to ruin the arrival sensors that I have, especially now that they are hard to find. I am going to try Owntracks and @brianwilson's integration and see how that works. Thanks

1 Like

Recently installed Owntracks on an iphone -had a lot of problems but got it working.
It seems like the setup has some wierdnesses but I can't prove it - if the user name is 10 chars long, it gets chopped off being sent by owntracks. Once you create a spot on a map, don't change the user id after the fact. The password which can not be changed seem relevant to the user at the owntracks app create time.
In the end, I was sucessful getting it working and it works better than any other presence sensor I've tried.

1 Like

Brian....I setup the Owntracks integration on both my wife's iPhone and my android and they are both working just fine.....Thank you very much!

3 Likes

I have OT and so does my boyfriend. He has a hubitat and OT. My phone lets me set OT for each map location with a distinct URL but the android only seems to have the ability to put one OT hub. How can I have his phone report when he is at my place?