[RELEASE] OwnTracks Presence

Repair didn't help me (nor matchup before that) - Repair duplicated the Owntracks app and I was unable to delete the prevously installed 1.1.3.1 version as HE said it was in use of course.

So i tried to uninstall via HPM and got this...I'll go remove the OwnTracks app from my apps and try again. :slight_smile:

Deleting the app from Apps section in HE, and then uninstall/reinstall via HPM, add OwnTracks devices to the app, and then using the new URL to setup the OwnTracks mobile app w/the updated http link seems to have sorted it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry for the troubles. Hopefully the changes made from here on out shouldn’t cause further issues.

2 Likes

Absolutely no issue, just posted in case others run into this, so they can hopefully save a little time. :slight_smile: This app/capability remains one of my top favorites on HE. :+1:

2 Likes

Are you aware of any issues with OwnTracks related to HE 2.2.4? I've only been running own tracks for a few days but, fir that time it seemed to run well. Yesterday I updated HE to 2.2.4 and this morning I have two out of three family members who are home showing not present.

There virtual devices show the correct region, Home, but the presence shows not present and the switch is off. As a test I manually set my wife's virtual device to on/present just before she left the house to run an errand. After she left the area it flipped to not present, but when she returned it did not update to present even though the region updated to home.

I also checked the app settings on her android phone and everything appears correct.

If there aren't any 2.2.4 update issues that you're aware of, any thoughts on what else might be going on?

Thanks!
Tom G.

Verizon pushed a firmware update last night for my android phone and that update changed several of my app's battery optimization settings, including OwnTracks. Several of those apps failed to update properly when arriving/departing. I had to change those back to not optimize the battery usage on those apps ... any everything seems to have returned to normal again.

2 Likes

Why do they mess with your settings during an update? I run into this issue with various apps after update. Is quite annoying..

I've been running 2.2.4 since the beta started, and haven't seen any issues w/OwnTracks on my S10.

My wife has an Android, but my daughters is an iPhone. Regardless I asked them both to double check locations services settings and they were still set correctly.

I'm going to wait for them to leave the house again so I can watch more closely what is happening. After that I may try reinstalling the app in HE. Not sure what else to try here...

My issue was not 'Location' settings, it was battery optimization. If the app is being optimized and it is asleep (locked) when you change locations, it does not wake up so that it can send the notification to HE that the location has changed.

2 Likes

I downloaded the OwnTracks app and I'm trying to setup "regions." Is there a way to do this other than typing in a set of GPS coordinates? It's making it a little difficult to setup. Plus, when I change the radius, the blue circle on the map doesn't get any bigger... I'm on Android 11 on a Pixel 2.

1 Like

I checked and found one of the phones had OwnTracks optimized to go to sleep but the other didn't. And, as of this afternoon none of the phones are changing presence.

I checked the event logs and found that all the phones are updating battery levels but nothing else.

Spent way to long trying to get this to work because of user error.
USE THE ENTRY IN THE "User to Track *" FIELD AFTER THE LOCATION PART OF THE URL.
So: "User to Track *: UserNameXXX
https://cloud.hubitat.com/api/xxx-xxx-xx-xxx/apps/xx/location/UserNameXXX?access_token=adafae03-0330-4aeb-b15e-xxxxxxxxx
I was using the DeviceID, which is not correct.
Please update the instructions with more specific wording.
Also, thanks for all your work on this :slight_smile:

Any update on SSID for Android users? I was hoping to use this for wifi presence.

???

OwnTracks isn’t used for WiFi presence detection. It does its geolocation using the GPS mechanism built into your phone.

1 Like

I think he is talking about how on iOS the currently connected SSID is reported along with battery stats, but AFAIK this does not work for Android. No clue if anything has changed since I initially messed around with OwnTracks.

2 Likes

Supposedly the Android version will have BSSID/SSID soon. The GitHub request I opened has been closed BSSID and SSID · Issue #871 · owntracks/android · GitHub

3 Likes

Sweet! Thanks very much for making that request, @brianwilson.

1 Like

This is great! Thanks for sharing.

I'm using 'Significant changes' mode and it is generally always correct in the OwnTracks app.

I'm having an issue with missed callbacks back to HE. I have a hunch that my phone is still waiting for my home wifi to time out and failing to send it over cellular. Total guess on that, but it's having the effect that my OwnTracks presence fails to depart about 50% of the time when I leave.

Have you guys worked around this somehow? Bigger radius, maybe? I have mine set at 100m, which isn't much time when I'm leaving by car. But I don't want it to be huge regardless, in case I'm out walking or biking.

Are you using the Hubitat cloud endpoint vs local endpoint?

I'm using the cloud endpoint.