[RELEASE] OwnTracks Presence

How far is the trip you made (distance wise?) What you are describing sounds like more of a Google issue than Owntracks based on the settings.

With the settings I posted, the phone would need to see you move 50m before sending a location, and then it would wait 60 seconds, and need to see another 50m move before sending the next location.

With "locatorPriority:2", it's sniffing the air for wifi and cellular access points to determine if you moved. If you are in a place with there is a ton of wifi activity, it's very accurate. If there isn't a lot of wifi activity, or you are not traversing a cell boundary, it won't reflect your movement properly.

If you switch to "locatorPriority:3" then Owntracks will use GPS which solves the above statement, but does sacrifice more battery to do so.

Mine is working spot on, but I did write an Owntracks app that changes the phones to pegLocatorFastestIntervalToInterval: false and locatorPriority: 3 to give me the near home precision when a phone reports back that it's within 750m of home. Once it leaves that geofence, then it switches the phone back to pegLocatorFastestIntervalToInterval: true and locatorPriority: 2 to save battery.

Still working through that code, but so far that has worked great.

1 Like

Thanks - i didn't understand the difference between locatorPriority 2 & 3. I'm in a town and did around 500m. It also disconnected from my own wifi and then re-connected on getting home, so I would have thought that would have triggered it....
I'm going to leave it on 2 for a bit and see how it goes, but I might bump it to 3, as I charge my phone every night anyway....

1 Like

That distance should trigger it fine, as long as you didn't trip a locator accuracy limit where it didn't send out a location (you will see those in the logs that it suppressed it).

Might be the wifi though. When I drive where I live it works spot on. If I ride my bike, and go through a green space with poor wifi coverage, I go MIA for 10 minutes. :slight_smile:

Are you going to ask for a pull request on these options from the OwnTracks developer(s) when you feel it's ready? Or post that version as a download here for us to try? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, changes were all in an Owntracks Hubitat App. I need some time to document it a bit and then I can post a thread with a version to grab. The "goal" of the app was to replicate a single config source (and mimic Life360). Just need to get the documentation together, and check if any custom additions that I added to the mobile app doesn't break anything for others grabbing it off the playstore.

4 Likes

Thanks very much for sharing - both your settings and these additional customizations. I alwasy liked OwnTracks, but now it's more like love. :wink:

Would the changes you’ve done break other installs (like iOS?), if not, happy to help you get it integrated into the version I “maintain”.

2 Likes

Will this app work with OwnTracks if I run it on my unraid server for full MQTT functionality? Is there any way to make it look at a server if I set one up?

Darn nice of you, Brian, especially since you don't really use this yourself. Three cheers... :mega: :mega: :mega:

Hopefully @lpakula's changes can be integrated to keep things simpler (one version).

3 Likes

Cheers @brianwilson. Much appreciated.

I guess that duplicating the "where are my family members" mapping gui of Life360 is a pipedream. Presence seems to be quite cool though.

Also, I can't figure out how to add locations on the Android owntracks app - unless I manually add using lat/long, which isnt practical. Odd.

This may help...it's actually pretty easy to get the lat/long in Google Maps.

Computer:

Right-click on a location and get the lat/long coordinates in the context menu:

Phone: Long-press on a location/area to drop a pin, you can also get the coordinates of the spot:

Thanks for the offer, but it's 100% deviation from what you had posted before. It's currently waiting on HPM to merge it in.

1 Like

With my new app + current 2.4.12 Owntracks mobile release, it does work very similar to the Life360 implementation. Only thing that differs is you get no push updates to the mobile app. You need to open the app, and click the "manual update" button to send your location back to Hubitat, at which the app I made will send your family locations (+ image if you configured it) back to your phone.

If you want another update of their location, you'd need to click the "manual update" button again.

No, I designed it for HTTP only. I didn't think Hubitat had any MQTT capabilities.

Sorry, I meant as in using owntracks to see the location and history, on a gui.

I think your app seems awesome for the presence side of things =)

1 Like

Ahh yeh, no, the mobile app won't support that. You can install the Owntracks Recorder locally, and have the locations push through to it, and then you can see past history, speeds, etc:

Ah cheers. I struggled to see how to even install the recorder to be honest. Dockers etc... All new to me.

Thankfully Life360 is working again, and I can continue to pay the £2.50/month which to be fair, is awesome value.

Probably should start your own thread to discuss the new app. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, if the changes are significant (and sounds like they are) best to open a new [Release]... thread and include link back to this thread which your app was developed from.

Excited to try the new app... :slight_smile:

Happy to turn this thread into a reference for the new app if people want that extended functionality. Let me know and I can update the first post!

2 Likes