[RELEASE] OwnTracks for Hubitat Presence Detection

Thanks for your reply...

Yes, it's set up w/contents below:

If you run 'docker ps' again, does it show it's be up for a while? If it keeps showing "restarted x-seconds ago" it's crashing and restarting. Could be your folders (including the case sensitivity) aren't matching what you start docker with.

1 Like

I think you have a bingo...

fccd2f020926   owntracks/recorder                                            "/usr/sbin/entrypoin…"   7 hours ago    Restarting (2) 3 seconds ago                                                                                                                                  owntracks

I'll check paths/folder names and case. I haven't noticed any issues, but ... :slight_smile:

Which version is your Hubitat running (the actual hub). The latest beta seems to have fixed that long running issue (the log is killing the hub). Can you turn off debug logging and see if it's fine?

The outputs for the recorder cards don't need the debug logging anymore. They will come out tagged as "trace" vs "debug".

I'll add an auto-off to logging on the next release in case people forget and leave the logging on (cough me included cough)

2.3.7.145 is my hub version. Debug logging for the Owntracks app was off until earlier when I enabled it to see what it was saying. Just turned it back off (thanks for the reminder). I'm about to leave the house for a quick errand, I'll report back to see if it decides to update presence or not

1 Like

So I initially used this from the instructions to open and set the container to restart:

docker run -d --restart always --name=owntracks -p 8083:8083 -v recorder_store:/store -v config:/config owntracks/recorder

Since then I've stopped and restarted the container once, and also rebooted the pi to let it restart from the settings.

All folder names are matching lower case everywhere I can see, I'm not finding any inconsistencies. Doing a lot of Hmmmm-ing here, this is quite curious. :slight_smile:

I think, unless you have a better idea, that it might be time to kill the container and remove it and try the install on another pi so I can start over completely fresh, in case something got messed up that may be difficult to find. Thoughts?

@lpakula
Ive been trying to keep up with the changes at the same time adjust my presence detection trigger range

Where exactly on the HE settings page to set the presence range?

Thankyou in advance

You can do that in the Edit Regions section of the mobile app.

My experience is that changing the region in Regions on the phone and doing a manual location update from the phone also changed it in the mobile app, so you can go phone>HE app, or HE app>phone.

just to add to this, I am also running the recorder on an unraid docker, and so far this have been flawless on that end. I went back and looked at my HE logs and do not see any errors updating the recorder.

You do realize that unless you've solved problems that I need solutions for, you're no help to me, right? :wink:

1 Like

Ill have to work harder on that, lol

1 Like

I have a server running TrueNAS primarily for my Plex. If anyone knows how to install/run the docker on a TrueNAS and could assist, I would appreciate it. Never added anything to my TrueNAS other than PLEX. Thanks.

Can you try starting the docker with this (:rw after each volume):
docker run -d --restart always --name=owntracks -p 8083:8083 -v recorder_store:/store:rw -v config:/config:rw owntracks/recorder

Had a similar issue on I think the influxdb where docker couldn't write to the host.

1 Like

You need to select "Regions" -> "Edit Region" and pick your "Home" location. The radius is the distance from the center of your home location that is used as your "fence". When you are outside that distance, it should mark you as not-present.

1 Like

Ok just double checking on that. Since the last few updates i thought i had the distance set. After the couple of updates It wont trigger until im actually in the driveway.
Maybe the SSID router was triggering ? Maybe i dont know what i am talking about

I'll set the trigger distance further away and go from there

1 Like

EUREKA! I think I have figured out my OwnTracks problems! :sunglasses:

So, I was thinking more on the issue where my wife's profile picture wasn't showing up in the recorder. Decided to disable thumbnails in the display configuration. Boom, my phone quit getting 500 errors, and started communicating properly. Was actually quite funny watching all the messages shoot in from the logs, but I'm sure the hub wasn't happy :angry:

Had me thinking, maybe it is an issue with the profile pictures. I know they are all 192x192, I used photoshop to format them, so I knew they would be correct. Well, upon taking a look at the file manager in Hubitat, I noticed my profile picture was 43kB, and my wife's was 63kB. I thought, maybe the file size was the culprit. So I took the image, reduced the resolution and resaved. Dropped hers to 33kB.

Re-exported the JSON file, and her file actually exported without cutting anything off. Enabled thumbnails on map, and had her refresh, and now its showing in the Recorder as well! :raised_hands:

Just a warning for everyone, and maybe something we want to add to the instructions: try to keep the file size under 45kB, seems like everything is happy there.

Now I have to decide if I want to tell my wife her beauty broke my integrations :joy: I'm sure I'd never hear the end of it!

1 Like

Good to know! I used MS Paint to resize, and mine is 7kB, my wife's is 22kB. But that makes sense. It must blow up the creator that's converting images into JSON.

Unfortunately didn't help...I tested putting your setup on another Pi and it worked. So something odd in the setup w/the Pi where I've been trying to set up OwnTracks (it's running Home Assitant so who knows what they'd done to it! :wink: ), and I don't thinks it's worse waisting your or my time any more on it. :slight_smile:

I'm going to move things to a third Pi where I'd like to run it, and I bet a nickel it'll work first try on that one as well as the second Pi I tried. :wink:

Off to fiddle about...

1 Like

Might need to throw that Pi in the dishwasher for a couple cycles :joy: All in all, glad to hear you got it running!

Recorder is definitely a cool addon, I especially like being able to check presence from my PC, rather than my phone sometimes, so this (as well as HE dashboard) will be convenient.

Would be cool if the OwnTracks devs added a little more functionality to it though. Fairly barebones at the moment, but its definitely a nice perk to have over nothing. I really would like a historic table of recent location reports, rather than the map view.

Though I believe we have to pay in L360 to get any historic data past a certain threshold (a day if I remember correctly).

3 Likes

I was under the impression that OwnTracks was Android only, but looks like it's for iOS too. I use Geofency - can someone enlighten me as to whether there is a meaningful advantage of Owntracks over geofency?