[Release] Nyckelharpa, an HSM Extension

Ah, I think I get it now. I was assuming that Nyck required a keypad to be selected in global settings. But now, based on your message above, it would seem that, as long as my virtual keypad is managing HSM arming/disarming events properly, then Nyck is designed to function without a keypad explicitly selected in the first global setting. Is that correct?

You are correct.

1 Like

All, I have installed the NyckleHarper app ... but I am have some problems understanding what is happening with my HSM. Any help would be appreciated.

The NyckleHarper Installation instructions indicate that when arming with a zone open, "A standard initial HSM arming that fails normally" occurs ...

When I am arming, my HSM just continues to try to arm. There is no "fail."

Suggestions please?

Please let me know how you attempted to arm: device, keypad, dashboard, etc and which contact was open.

Please confirm the following

1. All directions in GitHub - arnbme/nyckelharpa: Keypad center and controller for HSM were followed
  2. There are no errors in the log
  3. The NCKL- child devices were created and HSM was changed to use the NCKL- child devices
  4. A HSM monitored NCKL child device was Open when arming for Home, Away or Night. The actual real parent device should not be set to allow HSM arming when open.
  5. In Globals. How to notify contact is open arming (Home, Away, Night) was set to Push and or Talk, and the Arming Issues Notification devices were set.

A typical arming with my front door open contact on my system

1. Arm Away from keypad (or dashboard)
  2. Message Arming failed Front door sensor is open. Rearming within 20 seconds will force arming
  3. Arm Away from keypad (within 20 seconds)
  4. Message Arming forced Front door sensor is open, Please exit the facility
  5. I leave the house, and close the door (it is not necessary to close the door to arm HSM, but this sets the door to be monitored for open/intrusions)

Arnb,

Thanks for the rapid response. I am new to the NyckelHarpa … so take my answers with a “grain of salt” … I have attempted to answer your questions. The good news is that the NyckleHarper app appears to be be basically operational now. HSM now Arms, using the HSM panel with a zone open. :grinning: Bad new is that I have different anomalies. :hushed:

At the end of this post I have detailed my setup. There were a couple of assumptions that I made that appear to be incorrect (i.e., errors), and I think that I have corrected them now.

On my setup (Hubitat/Konnected), there appears to be anomalies as detailed here (all my rules are disabled). I am concerned about wasting your time on my system design use cases. I appreciate any help, but I understand that these are probably my issues.

• Why does HSM(?) continue toggling Chirping ON/OFF every two minutes or so after arming when the zone is open? (see log included later)

• See log 2022-12-12 09:25:53.989 AM
    • This seems like my HSM setup … but I can’t have the chirp going off every minute or so with the system armed and I don’t know what is causing the issue.
  • It appears after the first “open contact” Arming, I can disarm and then rearm with the contact still open? i.e., the NH_virtual contact did not reset to “open” when the system disarmed … would that be true?

• See log 2022-12-12 09:42:35.190 AM

• In this use case, another user may have “armed with a contact open” and then disarmed … but when I arm the system later, it does not alert me that a contact is still open.

• Without watching my phone, or alternately watching my alarm panel on my PC, how can I tell that arming was cancelled, so that I know when to rearm the system after the arming was cancelled?

Answers to your questions:

How I attempted to arm: device, keypad, dashboard, etc.

1. When I wrote the original question was using my ARM virtual button on my dashboard (we can discuss using my button in the future, but right now I would like to get the “basic” operation working)
  2. In this response, I am testing the HSM Arming “panel” on my dashboard
  3. I do not have a keypad

Which contact was open:

1. Third, zone three for immediate alarm (K-Z03 Nook, NCKL-K-Z03 Nook)

2. First zone one for delayed entry alarm (K-Z01 Front, NCKL-K-Z01)

3. All directions were followed

4. Yes … I have read the instructions at least 4-times :grin: and followed them to the best of my ability. I went through the setup one more time this morning.

1. I stopped all my rules to avoid any interference
2. Variations from the instructions
  1. Used the HE Package Manager to install

2. Section 6 – Global Settings
    1. Armed Away, zones 1-6 selected, Push
    2. Armed Home, zones 1-6 selected, Push
    3. Armed Night, , zones 1-6 selected, Push
    4. Notification Device, Pixel 6 (phone)
    5. All others not set/default
    6. Generated Child Devices (this may change after clicking Done)

1. NCKL-K-Z01 Front and Garage Entry Door
      2. NCKL-K-Z02 Master Bed & Bath
      3. NCKL-K-Z03 Nook
      4. NCKL-K-Z04 Patio Doors
      5. NCKL-K-Z05 Beds 2 & 3 & 4
      6. NCKL-K-Z06 Dining and Den

7. Devices receiving Push notifications: [Pixel 6]

3. Section 7 – Forced Arming
    1. Alert
      1. I had an alert notification to my phone ( I thought that was all that was required … but maybe not!)
      2. *** Today … I added the virtual button and HSM alert

2. Replaced Away/Home/Night sensors with NCKL equivalents
    3. In "Configure/Arming/Disarming/Cancel Options", ~~"Delay only for selected doors"~~ “Delay intrusion Armed-Away alerts only for these doors *”, replaced the real contact-sensor-name(s) with NCKL-K-Z01 Front and Garage Entry Door

4. Section 8 – Modefix
    1. I did not necessarily understand this. I am not using modes (at home, away from home) at this time. Instructions stated “If you don't fully understand Alarm States and Modes, leave the settings empty, but it must be saved”
      1. No changes made … There is no “Save” so I selected “Next/Done”

5. Section 9-13 – no changes
  1. There are no errors in the log

2. The NCKL- child devices were created and HSM was changed to use the NCKL- child devices

3. Yes

4. A HSM monitored NCKL child device was Open when arming for Home, Away or Night. The actual real parent device should not be set to allow HSM arming when open.

5. OK. I think that I have that correctly set up

6. In Globals. How to notify contact is open arming (Home, Away, Night) was set to Push and or Talk, and the Arming Issues Notification devices were set.

7. Did not have set … I thought (incorrectly) this was optional.

8. Today they are set.

HE Log:

app:67 2022-12-12 09:42:35.190 AM info Armed Home ;Armed with Zone 3 still open

;Armed Home reselected

app:67 2022-12-12 09:26:36.212 AM warn Alert Arming canceled

dev:140 2022-12-12 09:26:36.198 AM info NH_Alert is on

app:67 2022-12-12 09:26:36.126 AM info All Disarmed ;Disarm All Rules

dev:136 2022-12-12 09:26:24.187 AM info NCKL-K-Z03 Nook was closed
dev:140 2022-12-12 09:26:24.098 AM info NH_Alert is on
app:67 2022-12-12 09:26:24.069 AM warn Alert Arming NCKL-K-Z03 Nook open
dev:38 2022-12-12 09:26:05.822 AM info K-Z12 Garage Door is closed
dev:37 2022-12-12 09:26:05.510 AM info K-Z11 Contact Sensor is closed
dev:36 2022-12-12 09:26:05.190 AM info K-Z10 Contact Sensor is open
dev:35 2022-12-12 09:26:04.874 AM info K-Z09 Contact Sensor is open
dev:136 2022-12-12 09:25:54.108 AM info NCKL-K-Z03 Nook was closed
dev:140 2022-12-12 09:25:54.016 AM info NH_Alert is on
app:67 2022-12-12 09:25:53.989 AM warn Alert Arming NCKL-K-Z03 Nook open

;Chirp alarm restarts

dev:136 2022-12-12 09:25:24.013 AM info NCKL-K-Z03 Nook was closed
dev:140 2022-12-12 09:25:23.923 AM info NH_Alert is on
app:67 2022-12-12 09:25:23.895 AM warn Alert Arming NCKL-K-Z03 Nook open
dev:136 2022-12-12 09:24:53.933 AM info NCKL-K-Z03 Nook was closed
dev:140 2022-12-12 09:24:53.841 AM info NH_Alert is on
app:67 2022-12-12 09:24:53.813 AM warn Alert Arming NCKL-K-Z03 Nook open
dev:38 2022-12-12 09:24:34.226 AM info K-Z12 Garage Door is closed
dev:37 2022-12-12 09:24:33.906 AM info K-Z11 Contact Sensor is closed
dev:36 2022-12-12 09:24:33.591 AM info K-Z10 Contact Sensor is open
dev:35 2022-12-12 09:24:33.273 AM info K-Z09 Contact Sensor is open
dev:136 2022-12-12 09:24:23.854 AM info NCKL-K-Z03 Nook was closed
dev:140 2022-12-12 09:24:23.761 AM info NH_Alert is on
app:67 2022-12-12 09:24:23.735 AM warn Alert Arming NCKL-K-Z03 Nook open

app:67 2022-12-12 09:24:15.994 AM info Armed Home ;System Armed

dev:136 2022-12-12 09:23:53.826 AM info NCKL-K-Z03 Nook was closed
dev:140 2022-12-12 09:23:53.683 AM info NH_Alert is on
app:67 2022-12-12 09:23:53.657 AM warn Alert Arming NCKL-K-Z03 Nook open
dev:136 2022-12-12 09:23:23.691 AM info NCKL-K-Z03 Nook was closed
dev:140 2022-12-12 09:23:23.601 AM info NH_Alert is on
app:67 2022-12-12 09:23:23.571 AM warn Alert Arming NCKL-K-Z03 Nook open armhome

dev:136 2022-12-12 09:23:05.186 AM info NCKL-K-Z03 Nook was opened ;Disarmed
dev:43 2022-12-12 09:23:05.156 AM info K-Z03 Nook is open ;Disarmed

I understand you have a lot of questions and while I will do my best to help, I am currently dealing with a number of family, car, and house issues that showed up in the last few days, so my response was and may be delayed. I apologize, there is more info in your response than I can digest and process.

Any chirping issues with HSM should be posted separately on the forum. I will do my best to get Nyckelharpa working for you.

Huh. So I tried this and received a second Arming Canceled message.

Please confirm you are getting the first Arming Cancelled message when arming with an open door, then you can rearm (no prior disarm please) within the globally defined rearm time in seconds?

There is small cool down time, about 3 seconds before the second arming is accepted. This stops double taps from arming the system. So wait a few seconds before doing the second arming.

I use Text To Speech (TTS) for messaging output. Should you have HE compatible speakers, those also work.

I use cheap Amazon Fire tablets and old Android phones all with the Fully Kiosk Browser and Fully Kiosk Brower Controller device, as dashboards and speaker devices. I also send the Arming Cancelled message to my phone just incase I am not home. I generally arm from a keypad, but this works from almost any source including the dashboard.

All NCKL devices should be monitored by HSM/Nyckelharpa for arming, and only doors you allow entry for intrusion delay. I don't use the parent devices in HSM. Nyckelharpa adjusts the virtual child devices to force arming. There is also an HSM setting or device setting to allow arming when open-This cannot be set on or this all fails.

This app was written when I was a SmartThings refugee, prior to that HE arming option becoming available, BTW HSM auto-bypass arming is your plan B if you can't get this working.

This is the HSM auto-bypass arming option in HSM.

BTW if you want to arm from a keypad but don't have a physical device, take a look at the Virtual Keypad driver.

arnb ... Wow! What a great response. Again thanks. I know that took a lot of your valuable time.

I too am being diverted (mainly work though). So currently I have put my "arm with open contacts" on ice for a bit. I just finished debug of another significant problem (which ended up being an issue with my configuration) ... So for the time being I am going to concentrate on just bringing the basic HSM online.

HSM Auto Bypass arming sounds like something I should have known about ... I'll check it out.

I will respond back here with any further progress ... probably in the new year.

Two quick questions:

1. In Section 2 of the README, it says, “HSM does not arm the system when arming alerts are implemented, and a contact is open.” Perhaps I’m misinterpreting. In HSM, there is an option to auto-bypass open contacts when arming. Can someone help me reconcile these two statements? Nyck clearly solves an arming-while-open problem that HSM on its own does not — what is that?

2. For those of us using a virtual keypad that is NOT specified in global settings, should the entry beep settings still apply? And does Talker still function?

When Nyckelharpa was created, HSM did not have the option to arm with an open contact. That option was later added to HSM.

As for your other question, that will have to wait for Arn, I haven't used a virtual keypad

1 Like

Thank you Steve for correctly answering that question. When I get the opportunity the documentation will be updated. Documentation updated. For Nyckelharpa to function the HSM option to arm while a contact is open must not be selected.

I use a virtual keypad that is not defined in global settings, nor any of the Beep definitions.

Yes, I'm using it on 4 HE Dashboards with the Fully Kiosk Browser Controller app on two old Android Phones and two Amazon Kindle Fire devices.

My exit message
{speak}Alarm system is arming in %nn seconds, please exit the facility. {break time="1s"/} 25 seconds{break time="2800ms"/}20 seconds{break time="2800ms"/}15 seconds{break time="2800ms"/}10 seconds{break time="2800ms"/}5{break time="700ms"/}4{break time="700ms"/}3{break time="700ms"/}2{break time="700ms"/}1{/speak}

Sorry, my question was sorta the opposite. Given that, like you, I’m not specifying a keypad within Nyck, can I still configure for entry beeps from another device that supports beep?

Yes

1 Like

Arnb, I see this thread has taken on a life of its own ... this is a good thing! :grinning:

I wanted to reiterate that I appreciated your input. Currently I am proceeding using your method as a basis for my new RM app. In particular, I set up my own virtual contacts in HSM. We'll see how that works out for me.

1 Like

Just got a Xfinity XHK1-UE keypad but I can't seem to get it working with the Centralitex driver. Should it?

Everything seems to work except arm/disarm. I'm getting motion reports, can set and get codes, even see what code was entered on the pad. But arm/disarm doesn't seem to work. From the keypad or the device page.

The built in driver works, but I like the extra features yours provides.

I'm sorry you are having an issue.

My Xfinity device shows the following in the device data section

• manufacturer: CentraLite
  • model: 3400
    If yours does not please report what it says, then enter 3400 into the Commands-->Model, then click the Model command

About the only other thing I can think of is that the Centralitex driver cannot be directly used by the HE HSM system and must be connected to the Nyckelharpa app.

1 Like

Ahh That would be why. I was attempting to use the keypad as a standalone in some rules without the rest of the app or HSM.

Can I use your whole app just for that bit?

It's safest installing the entire app from HPM. Most of the features are optional so it should act as a pass thru for arming/disarming HSM.

The app predates HSM allowing open contacts at arming, and I still prefer it announcing the open contacts then allowing arming, versus HSM silently arming with selected open contacts.

Suggest reading the installation information at the top of this thread.

3 Likes

@scoob8000

I use @arnb nickelharpa and centralitex driver with this same keypad. It works well. I also have some RM rules that execute actions when valid pins are seen. Basically, we can lock/unlock the door without arming the system by entering only our pin. I think you will be happy using this package.

1 Like

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm wanting to do.

I have a gifted zwave lock without a keypad that I want to use on my garage man door. I bought a Xfinity keypad for it and will put it in some sort of weather proof housing.

I added a Quickset conversation to ours (no keypad) so the same use case . My keypad is under the carport so I only have to worry about water during hurricanes.

1 Like