[Release] NOAA Weather Alerts

I have posted an update to restore volume to previous settings.

I need some testing help, as I don't have all device types....

How it works

• for audioNotification or speechSynthesis devices, if you set a volume for the announcement, but leave the restore volume unset (blank, ie no setting), then it will try to gather the current volumes, set the new volume, issue the speak(), then restore the gathered volumes.

• if you have problems 'unsetting' the restore volume, if you disable speaking, then re-enable it, it should clear them for you.

There is also a setting for speechSynthesis to insert delays between commands or not. This defaults to off (false - ie no delays inserted). If you find speechSynthesis device having a problem, enable the delay setting and see if it helps.

This is available in HPM, but I have not updated the manifest, so if you want to test, and use HPM, do an HPM repair on NOAA Weather Alerts, so it grabs the latest version. Once some more testing is done it can be pushed to everyone.

This app has worked well in the past for alerting me of a tornado warning. But it failed to do so today. I had reinstalled it since the last time it worked, so maybe it’s the settings. Or maybe something else. I’m close to the county line - how does the app determine for which county to check for a tornado warning? Any other ideas as to why the app missed alerting me of a tornado warning for my county?

It would be good (you can use a private message) to see the alerts for your area.

Under settings there is "Test alert configuration and display weather.gov API response"

You can send this as private message if you like.

Turning on debug for a while may also give clues.

It would be good to know what version you are running of NOAA alerts

Updated release with improved Echo Speaks (V4) support. If available and configured, NOAA will attempt to use new ES command for parallel speak or parallelPlayAnnouncement

1 Like

Getting this after the latest update:

2021-04-02 04:11:48.563 pm warnThe API Weather.gov did not return a response. (exception), java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'alertmsg' on null object

URI: https://api.weather.gov/alerts?point=44.302018%2C-92.674947&status=actual&message_type=alert,update&severity=unknown,minor,moderate,severe,extreme

Just to let folks know that NWS API's are being overloaded. There was an article this week in one of the tech blogs.

Weather Service internet systems crumbling as key platforms are taxed and fail | The Seattle Times

2 Likes

I have pushed a fix.

1 Like

Still seeing the following error in the logs:

"The API Weather.gov get types did not return a response. java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'data' on null object"

Log:

app:16992021-04-27 11:48:23.876 am infoDebug logs disabled.

app:16992021-04-27 11:48:23.839 am warnNOAA Weather Alerts application state is reset.

app:16992021-04-27 11:48:23.813 am warnThe API Weather.gov get types did not return a response. java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'data' on null object

Not sure if this because of the weather.gov server being overloaded or something else. I do notice this when I make config changes in the app.

It would be good to see with more logging turned on what API is giving you trouble?

The NOAA folks seem to have fixed the events api (I just tried it by hand)

It sounds intermittent (assuming you are on most recent code). But turn on more debugging so we get a clue of which is failing.

New user of this app here. I have a question about the dashboard tile...

I added the tile to one of my dashboards, and it would display any warnings on the tile. Today I had a Severe Thunderstorm Warning issued for my area. The tile updated correctly and showed this warning for me. However, it is now nearly 3 hours after the warning has expired, but the title is still showing the warning as being active. Does it not clear warnings off the tile when they expire?

It should clear it

Would need to see log and settings to investigate

I have pushed a new update that handles replacedAt alerts more cleanly.

2 Likes

Getting an error today

Summary

What is the tts device you are using?

The error should not be a failure, but it appears the device does not have an initialize command.

Echo Speaks had an update. Would that do it?

Looking into it further. I'm seeing all three of my nest hubs showing up as null in Chromecast Integration. Another what is wrong now...

It is not a fatal error for NOAA, but the device in question advertises it supports initialize, but yet does not have an initialize method.

This can happen because the device is not coded correctly, or you are using multiple devices and some support initialize and some do not.

In any case it is not fatal.

Thank you.

Hello, I've installed the APP and Driver for the NOAA Weather Tile. I've configured the app without issue and have added the Noaa Tile driver. It is listed under my drivers. However, when I try to add the Noaa tile to my dashboard it shows the Noaa Tile as a selectable device but there is no Noaa Tile listed in Templates. So I am not able to add the tile to the dashboard.

What template am I supposed to select? Sorry but it's not obvious to me, or I'm missing something?

Thanks,

Ron

@Doyle

First column, select "NOAA Tile".
Middle column, select "Attribute".
Right column, select "Alerts".