[RELEASE] Meater+ Driver

We got in to Meater when it was relatively new, and didn't have a lot of reviews, so being uncertain, we didn't get the block and only 2 probes.

What I do now, so I get coverage through the whole house, I use an old phone I don't use anymore and stripped of everything. I just run a few things like music and the Meater app. I keep that phone next to the BBQ and I can monitor what's going on with my regular phone wherever I am over WiFi, or over cellular data if I step out of the house.

Now fast-forward, my Dad has the block as well as my brother-in-law, and neither have had issues connecting to WiFi.

Mine can't seem to stay connected and ends up going to sleep. I was so excited about meater but I'm over it. I am returning it and just sticking to my Govee wifi thermometer even though it won't integrate into Hubitat.

Got my wife a MEATER + -- I wanted to add this to HE to turn on lights, for OVER TEMP... I added the drivers and then added Virtual Device- Meater Container.

API shows Code in device on HE - No devices have showed up under the Container Device as parent.
Credentials are correct

What did I miss?

Turn on debug logging and show output. Also, what do you mean “ API shows Code in device on HE”

Debug is turned on

USER ID and Token is showing.

Are the devices powered on?

1 Like

Technically it's a must. I don't believe the driver sees the child devices unless it's powered up.

Yes- I see the device in the Meater App on my phone - I have it reading TEMP right now.

1 Like

Hey @JustinL, I think I'm trying to use this in a way that you didn't intend....

I have two of the Meater+ units -- but each one is in a different house a thousand miles away from each other. Each home has it owns Hubitat hub.

At first, since it's cloud-based, I assumed I'd just create two instances of the device from your driver, one at house A and the other at house B. But now I realize that's probably not possible since I only have one Meater account. I just setup the second instance in house B, and I'm not getting the child devices to show up even though the logs aren't showing any errors when creating the container device.

Now I'm thinking that I should either
(a) create two different Meater accounts each with its own parent device in HE; or,
(b) keep the single Meater account, add both probes to the same parent device in HE, and pass one of the probe devices to the other home via HubConnect.

Since the two block/probe units are in different locations, they're never connected simultaneously, so the HE device never seems to create two probe children, as per your instructions.

Any advice?

EDIT: In case it helps, between the two parent devices, the userid's are the same, but the tokens are different.

From the API docs:

Devices (aka MEATER probes) will only be returned after the following criteria is met. There may be a delay between the MEATER Cloud seeing your device and it being returned in this endpoint.

• Device must be seen by the MEATER Cloud. Ensure you've completed a cook while connected to MEATER Cloud.
  • The MEATER app or Block must have an active Bluetooth connection with the device.
  • The MEATER app or Block must have an active MEATER Cloud connection.

Are those criteria all met for the second device that’s not showing up? I THINK it should work even if the two devices are not simultaneously connected, because they should have different device IDs.

Sure enough you were right. For those that follow me....

This was the key. In my attempts, once I had established the cloud and bluetooth connections, if I manually ended a cook (because I wasn't actually cooking, just trying to simulate it in order to set up the Meater+), this condition wasn't satisfied and the child device never showed up. As soon as I did a cook the real way, everything worked.

Thanks for the assist!

1 Like

@JustinL do you have any idea why the app is listed twice in HPM?

Listed twice by accident in repository. Fixed. Thanks for the heads up

1 Like

How does the Meater+ connect to the Meater cloud since it's bluetooth? I see it mention a Meater Link WiFi, is that necessary?

Does the prob send it to the app, then app sends it to the cloud, and then to hubitat?

Probe is Bluetooth but connects to Wi-Fi via the power block that you charge the probe with. Connect that to the app and that hooks you up to the cloud via Wi-Fi.

1 Like

If you don't have a block, you can set your phone to put it on to WiFi. I use an old phone that I don't use anymore as my main connection to the probe that's also connected to WiFi. Then with the app on my primary phone, I can walk anywhere and get the same updates. I can even leave the house and get updates that way.

Ahh, I see. A few questions if you gents don't mind..

• Do I need to keep the block near the probe while cooking or can I leave it on the kitchen counter and go grill 50-100ft away?

• Is there a button to turn the probe on and off to conserve battery?

Looks like a promising Father's day gift is around the corner. I am thinking I can get Alexa or Google to set a timer based on time-remaining attribute via RM rule & variable. In the event I am not paying attention to the app . Maybe even announce when cooking is done. Sounds fun.

Don't know - depends on obstructions, etc. but i can have my block inside with the grill outside, maybe 20 feet with an exterior wall in between.

No, but never had an issue with battery life. I assume they have smart internals that conserves battery when there's no cook ongoing.

1 Like

In my case, the block has to be stuck to the stainless steel oven door or it won't connect to the probe itself. :frowning:

Anybody having a problem with the Meater cloud today (happy turkey day btw!)?

I'm getting this error immediately after the api call with the same user name and password I've used for awhile now.

dev:456302023-11-23 03:41:38.523 PMerrorgroovy.lang.MissingPropertyException: No such property: data for class: org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.GStringImpl on line 91 (method initialize)

dev:456302023-11-23 03:41:38.511 PMwarnsendApiRequest() failed: public-api.cloud.meater.com:443 failed to respond

EDIT: Weird, if I create a new device from scratch it works, but the one I created awhile ago stopped working. Dunno.