[Release] Logitech Harmony Hub Driver v0.1.20230311

That is because there is an official SmartThings to Harmony Hub integration. There is no such official integration for Hubitat, Home Assistant, etc. Logitech stopped accepting new official integrations years ago.

Philips Hue, Lutron Caseta, Roku, and SmartThings are all official Harmony hub integrations.

Here is the complete list

If you have this working via SmartThings, then there really is no reason to change it. It can keep working, even if you move the rest of your home automation over to Hubitat.

I don't have a smarthing hub. There's a trick to add the devices to smarthings and then have them show in Hubitat, I'll look for it and send it to you.
Thanks,

Sam

A SmartThings hub is not required to use SmartThings with a Cloud to Cloud integration.

I am aware of the integrations between ST and HE.

My point is since you seem to have your Bond devices showing up in ST and then in Harmony, there is no reason to stop using that method.

I have 5 Harmony Hubs. All the home control buttons stopped working a while ago so I re-logged into smart things through the mobile app and the buttons worked again on one Harmony Hub. When I tried to fix another Hub, I think it broke the link on the first Hub as those buttons aren't working again. Anyone else having this issue with multiple Hubs?

Ouch! Looks like mine is out of date !! 3 updates behind! What does "BREAKING CHANGE: " mean??

In this particular case, it means that by updating the Parent driver, it will end up creating a new set of child devices that uses the Hubitat built-in child component drivers. Thus, it will “break” any automations that you currently have that make use of the old child devices. You’ll have to clean up the mess caused by this “breaking change”

3 Likes

Features
Is anyone interested in testing a new feature I've created. Only so much testing I can do myself. Put simply, as well as having child devices for the Activities, you can create child devices for a specific command like "Play" or "OK or "DirectionUp" which can be easilly added to dashboards / HomeKit etc. I have a fully working implementation.

@sgarzon @eric22 @brianwilson @user4652 - Names picked as recent commentors, but other welcome? Drop me a message.

2 Likes

@rebecca Would love to try it. I would like to create a discrete activity for TV off. In my setup the tv doesn’t always turn off. Has been an issue forever and nothing in the configuration seems to fix it.

So I would like to send another command to it a few seconds after the Off event is run.

I NO results. https://lmgtfy.app/?qtype=search&t=w&segment=lmgtfy2&is_ad=0&gclid=&q=breaking+change&as=0&engine=&media_type=

Will the new "Swap Apps Device" help any or do I need to swap them manually? It should be noted it ONLY does apps and your dashboards are still broken.

I still have problems with the Yamaha amp turning back on again. It worked fine until 5.1. Same for an app to turn on the greenhouse lights. I had to use 2 Basic Rules since Rule Machine would not work all. It is much worse. Go back to the simple form.

Swap Apps Device does not work with Child Devices.

Sounds interesting.... I am up for helping test.

By command can I define a child device for a command from any of my available Harmony Devices regardless of the currently selected Activity? And if so do the commands work when the Harmony Hub is Off (no Activity selected)?

@simon4 The only issue you would face with my implementation currently is that the command names cannot clash with a Harmony Activity, as otherwise you could end up with not being able to trigger the Harmony Activity. If the command you want is "PowerOff", this would clash, due to the master PowerOff activity.

That's not to say I can't help with your problem though... Firstly, you'd need to ensure your TV has a discrete on and off command, as some don't. If you don't have a discrete command in Harmony, let me know and I can suggest an alternative method.

If you do, the first thing I'd suggest is on the Harmony app itself, to customise each activity under "Edit End Sequence" using a delay or even issuing the power off command twice. If the power off command isn't available or you can't get it to work, try the following option.

On Hubitat, If it is only when you turn a specific harmony activity off that you want to issue an extra "PowerOff" command, use a rule when "ActivityX turns off", or if you want it to trigger when all harmony activities are turned off, use a rule when "PowerOff Activity turns on". At this point you can then use a delay (if needed) and then an actuator command against the device (deviceCommand) which is already implemented in the driver. Youll need to use the device ID for your TV (or whichever device you want to turn off) which you can get in the state variables under "HarmonyDevices"

However, you're still welcome to try my additions to the driver, but you will not be able to create a "PowerOff" child device, as one already exists!!! :slight_smile:

UPDATE on the last screenshot under trigger event, it should be "Rebecca Bedroom Harmony Hub-Power Off" turns on, or "Rebecca Bedroom Harmony" turns off (I was only creating the rule to screenshot and not save and obviously it will use whatevere the name of your Harmony Hub device is called on Hubitat with or without the -PowerOff bit for the child activity)

@jeff.lilliquist Are you posting on the right forum? I'm not sure what your greenhouse lights, basic rules and rule machine have to do with the driver for a Harmony remote control?

All that is said with the "breaking change" update, is that any child devices will get recreated using the new component drivers rather than a custom child driver. This ensures compatibility with HomeKit etc. It means that any rules that use the previous child devices will need to be updated to the new devices, and on dashboards, to re-auth the new devices and update the mapping on the dashboard gui.

If there is anything we can help with relating directly to the Harmony Driver, please let us know, else please start a different thread.

@MikeSas I have done a little test, and it appears you can send discrete commands while the Harmony is 'off' with no current activity. I have to say, I can't think what you'd what to do that for, but it does work. The command would have to be set up using the deviceID (removing the default mapping if a preset key) rather than the dropdown for volume/navigation/channel auto device (as this will always report no device to send to in the power off state), but yes, you would then get a child device that you can issue the command by hittiong the 'on' button (or adding on a dashboard).

For my testing I created a "PowerOn" child device, and successfully issued it to my amplifier. Just be aware at present you can't have multiple commands to different devices with the same command name. If you want this you can still do it using a virtual switch and rule machine.

Please read the "Child Devices for Device Commands" section on the readme document, and then just replace the groovy code on the attached link on your hubitat, and open up the harmony device and press the initialize button, same as any other driver update.

Let me know if you hit any issues.

Basically, with my driver additions, you can create child devices for none, one, ten commands.

And then easilly add to dashboards

or even HomeKit (although my connection is a bit buggy right now, but thats a Hubitat Beta issue)

I just added the offending devices to my harmony activity screen so it's just an easy (screen) button press to fix the issue when it occurs.

1 Like

It is tangential so I will stop replying but there was a connection.

got it