[RELEASE] Life360+ (BROKEN)

Here's some more details based on my experience with new single device log in and 2FA.

Single device log in per user is initiated after logging out of app on phone and logging back in, not by verifying your phone number. If you log out on phone for any reason, logging back in will kick Life360+ out. You can only log back in with Life360+ if you log off on your phone.

Verifying your phone number will turn on 2FA and from what I see, there is no way to turn it off. Once it's been turned on, you will not be able to log into Life360+ with that account. Changing the password and then not verifying the number may be a fix but I didn't bother trying to verify.

I used the method below as a work around except that I used the new account on my phone and the old one with Life360+. See edit below for more detailed instructions.

End result:
My original unverified non 2FA account is my admin acct for use with Life360+ on Hubitat.
My new verified account with 2FA is what the Life360 app on my phone is using. Now I won't get haunted by the app to verify the number.

EDIT: More detailed list on the exact steps I took.

1. Obtain a Google Voice phone number.
  2. Generate a circle invite code in Life360 (I actually did this later from my wife's phone but it would have been easier if I had done it before the next step).
  3. Log out of original account on phone and sign up for new acct using GV number and an alternate e-mail. It's OK to verify phone number for new acct. Use your name for this acct since it will be your primary acct on your phone. When asked to join circle, use code from step 2.
  4. Log out of new acct and log back in with original account. You may need to reset password to do so. DO NOT verify phone number though. Must leave this accts phone number unverified.
  5. Once logged in to original acct,
    a. turn off location sharing in settings>location sharing
    b. in settings>circle management>change admin status, turn on admin for new account.
    c. under account>profile, rename acct to admin or whatever you like.
  6. Log out of original acct. Clear app data and cache and then log in with new acct. This completes setup on phone.
  7. In Life360+ in Hubitat, update password if reset in step 4 and hopefully it takes you to the next screen where you select circle and members. Select newly created member from new acct to create new presence device.
5 Likes

See my latest post. The 403 error will pop up if the account you're trying to sign on with has 2FA turned on from verifying phone number or if you've logged out and back in on the phone. I ran into the same thing but was able to get it working again as detailed in my post.

1 Like

thanks, though in my case, i had not changed anything on life360 android app side. The login was working perfectly in hubitat, but just that i unsintalled the hubitat old version of life360+ and installed the latest versions from HPM. My phone number on life360 is verified, but that was done quite some time back and life360+ was working till today morning since a long time with no auth issues so far.

I did a password reset on my life360. Used the updated password in life360+ app in hubitat, and the login worked! fingers crossed.

Question - I have my life360 circle created, which allows me to know in Hubitat when I arrive home. I have created an additional new circle in life360 now which has a much larger geofence area. My plan is, if i can now create an additional presence device in hubitat using my second circle, then this device can tell me when i am, say 10 mins away from home. is there a way for me to use the second life360 circle in hubitat using life360+ ?

Life360+ only allows one place to be selected for presence.
If you're using Android, check out [RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard. It supports using multiple geofences.

You mean place..when you say circle right? You can add as many places as you want and you can use those places in automation rules. Let's say you have "home" and then you add new place called "home2" ..which is basically same location as home but just bigger area. Now create automation rule to send push notification when presence sensor x enters home 2: "10mins away from home".

2 Likes

Ohh! How could I have overlooked such simple point. I incorrectly assumed that I can create only one 'home' per circle. I deleted my second circle now and added a new place 'almost home', with a bigger geofence area.

But, isn't life360+ limited to report presence of only one place? How do I use my second place in rule condition?

@zerosum74 are you a paying user? Can I set this up with a paid and an additional free account as well?

Yes and yes.

1 Like

Can I detect in Hubitat if the presence device is in 'almost home' place while maybe another presence device is in'home' place?

Places are attributes that can be used as triggers. If you look at the presence sensor on hubitat you will see 'address1' attribute. Create a rule in rule machine or webcore by using it. It doesn't matter if you are paying customer or not.

Good to know.Thanks, I'll check it out.

In my case, I have created two places 'home' and 'almost home'(with a much larger geofence'. When I am approaching hone, 'almost home'' should trigger first, but eventually I will be present in both the places. Do you know how will address1 react in that case? Which place out of the two will it store?

It doesn't work like I thought it would. It seems to detect the bigger area first, then when you arrive to smaller one it detects it but after a while "address1" changes to that bigger place again. Seems like a weird way to detect places or prioritize them in life360.

I'm guessing you need to play with address1 attribute and if possible..use street addresses in automation rules. When presence sensor address1 is streetname 1, or streetname 2, or streetname 3, then send notification "10 mins...". And those streetnames are all the addresses that you usually use when you are heading back home.

1 Like

And actually more than I think about it ...if I would do what you are doing. I would still create new separate places around the home and use those places with address1 attribute. Just create places which do dot overlap home location. This way would be much easier than creating rule with a list of streetnames. And if you live in a city for example there would be multiple different streets so by creating additional places around the home you can use just those place names as triggers.

@saurabh9

You're thinking of this from the wrong angle,

You only need one location for home, small geofence area.

All you need is a webcore/rm rule incorporating the 'distance' attribute. :wink:

If you want to get mildly clever with arrival times, you could take a punt with driving speed, which is also available as an attribute. Totally aware this would be rough as hell because distance home is rarely going to be a straight line, but if you want to activate something when you're 10 mins away,

Time = distance ÷ speed

If distance ÷ speed <= [10 mins]
Then
Fire automation

Etc

1 Like

Mind blown! I'll try this approach soon.

1 Like

The folks using Life360 integration in Home Assistant are reporting issues again. We Hubitat users have been mentioned in their discussions Life360 fails authentification again · Issue #106967 · home-assistant/core · GitHub as "currently still working" but unsure as to why. Since our "fixes" were based on theirs, consider this a warning. It may abruptly stop. I'd think before investing too much time setting about automations that rely on Life360 at this point.

1 Like

I had previously installed the Life360 Connector app to control automations based on when my mobile device entered a geofence. That worked well for a while. Until it didnt. Out of nowhere it seemed that while Life360 app was tracking as usual it wasnt communicating with HE to initiate the automations.

This New option makes me hopeful! I installed Life360+ and when trying to enter creds i get "Life360 Connection Error: 403" error. I reset my pw to make sure and still am getting the error.

I currently still have the Life360 connector app installed (also showing a 403 error) should I remove the original connector app and try 360+ again? Is there some setting that I need to enable/disable to allow the app to connect to the 360 auth service? I searched this thread for that error message but didnt find much.

I appreciate your work and time. Thanks!

Was logged in until today, but now after a reboot of my hub(?) I cannot log back in anymore