[RELEASE] Life360+ (BROKEN)

They will continue to do so as long as the access token the app is hanging onto is valid.

2 Likes

@gopher.ny @mike.maxwell @bobbyD
Gentlemen, is there a way you folks could escalate the presence reliability of the Hubitat mobile app so that the community could quit thrashing about looking for something that works? I know you pay enough attention to know that this is endlessly frustrating for many.

I hear you. Tweaks to presence sensing are already a high priority. It's equally frustrating for our engineers to account for every option in settings that users may or may not enable on their phones, as well as the "enhancements" that some manufacturers implement to prevent phones' batteries from draining (the latter is applicable Android, but Apple has its own methods of killing taks for 3rd party apps).

1 Like

Howdy all, just created an account specifically to post this. Might recognise me from a few comments I've made on the life360 API endpoints in the Home Assistant GitHub issue.

Before this I was working on the SMS based OTP login auth flow and have managed to reverse engineer that successfully. Below is a link (new member so can't put an actual link here) to a branch of the life360 python module with these endpoints and changes.

github com / pnbruckner / life360 / tree / mobile-otp-login

Note, it's more POC and needed loads more testing around checking if a user had to use email or phone number auth, but I've effectively ended my efforts now due to the API issues. The SMS endpoints worked perfectly though last I checked (and was able to test) and replicates 1:1 the behaviour of the mobile app.

Perhaps if there is interest in the Hubitat community someone could use the reverse engineering I've done to get this up and running again (if auth is the only problem). Although I'm not sure how long this will work for, they might start verifying the ce-* headers.

6 Likes

Much appreciated! Yours and pnbruckner's work bought us some time.

I checked out that branch earlier today and was considering an attempt to implement it but at this point, I think it's time to move on. I'm pretty sure the issues are beyond auth. Access tokens were working with some endpoints and not others.

Some pretty cool work has already been done to get OwnTracks to Hubitat. [RELEASE] OwnTracks for Hubitat Presence Detection

1 Like

I fixed that for you, so you don't feel left out :wink: Welcome aboard, and thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Welcome, and thanks for the efforts!

1 Like

Thanks all.

@zerosum74 unless we can workaround cloudflare I think the life360 integration is over for home assistant. Even then the cat and mouse game probably just isn't worth the time.

What I dislike the most is when companies do this sort of thing for the sake of "security", when in reality it achieves absolutely nothing apart from causing pain for their users.

I'm my fantasy land every company would be forced to expose their data by some form of API (or something, of course protected for personal data) for the purpose of interoperability and customer choice.

Technically it's our data that we provide these companies so why shouldn't we be able to access that data in a format of our choosing.

Anyway, rant over lol. I hope life360 opens up their API again one day, but that day will probably come too late and users who have been using this integration (along with many others in the overall community) would have probably moved onto something else.

5 Likes

This is an extract of what I got from them this morning:

β€œβ€¦
We understand the importance of using the Home Assistant program with Life360. However, please be aware that we no longer support home automation programs such as Home Assistant, Google Home, Alexa, IFTTT, and others, and Life360 is no longer compatible with these programs.

Currently, we do not have any plans to reintroduce compatibility with these programs, but we appreciate your feedback, and I will share it to the appropriate team.
…”

It’s the first time I see them mentioning HA.

I queried this a couple of days ago.

I posted their reply a few posts above.

Sad to see another cloud integration being blocked, but not exactly a shock at this point. These cloud service providers have to spend quite a bit of money on hosting costs. Thousands of users using reverse engineered API connections does end up costing them real money over time. Too bad that they won't even offer a paid subscription model.

After reading through the last few weeks of posts in this thread, this seems appropriate.

3 Likes

This is the most annoying, for me - I do pay.

I would completely understand if the free tier disallowed integration. Their choice.

If I'm already subscribing, then where's the problem. Bah.

2 Likes

I wonder if they just updated the token used in their clients (link below).. if so I imagine someone will figure out the new one

I did check the client token in the mobile app when I decompiled that however that's not changed from what I can see (also older versions are still working).

The response is different if the client ID is invalid. But the 403 is generated by cloudflare's WAF unfortunately, at least in our case anyway (Cloudflare Web Application Firewall Β· Cloudflare Web Application Firewall (WAF) docs)

1 Like

Me and pnbruckner came to the conclusion that all these responses from Life 360 seem to be a copy and paste job as they follow the exact same wording regardless of application, perhaps they are just adding Hubitat and home assistant together now so they don't have to replace the name of the application lol.

1 Like

Totally agree about the email... I doubt the CS reps even really know what any of it is -- I think they are just told "copy/paste whatever system name that the client asks about here in this canned response".

1 Like

Hubitat C8 (current load) log is filled with Life360+ v3.0.25 errors of the form:
errorLife360+: cmdHandler: status:401, resp:hubitat.scheduling.AsyncResponse@ba8918
I'm not finding this error with a web search - any ideas on resolving or other information needed?

Unfortunately, this is a broken integration. I'm not expecting to see a fix. Read recent posts in this topic. Paints a pretty clear picture.

Most Life360+ users are moving on at this point. OwnTracks is looking great so far.

3 Likes

Thanks for that information. I hadn't read broadly enough. Will try out that as my next option.

Not to get off topic. I installed OwnTracks yesterday on my primary hub. And I agree, it's pretty good. I have a second house/hub that I would like to use OT at too. But I am only seeing that the phone can report to one location. Has anyone gotten OT to work on multiple hubs? Basically my phone would report to both hubs.