[RELEASE] Life360+ (BROKEN)

Yup, thanks a lot for your work on this integration @jpage4500. Mine stopped working this week too, so I'm no longer in the running for last man standing.

I may or may not still be in the running. If I go to the Life360+ app it says "Error logging into Life360!" and in the log I see

However, the Life360+ presence objects are still getting updated normally, as recently as 30 minutes ago.

Is it correct to say it will be all fun and games until some cookie or token or some such expires and I'll not be able to get another one?

I think it’s all fun and games until you have to update or tweak or change something in the Hubitat Life360+ app. Like changing phones.

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” But be prepared to switch to something else at a moment’s notice if anything really relies on it. WAF was suffering, so I had to cut my losses.

Will be interesting to see who will be the last person standing. What’s the prize other than the highest count of the restless nights wondering when it will finally just permanently break?!?

I lasted until AL 87 (After Life360), based on Nov 2 as the first reported breakage in this thread!! Today is AL 89. “May the odds be ever in your favor!” :rofl:

Completely agree. I depend on the presence to put the house to sleep when no one is home, and even putting sections of the house to sleep when only certain people are home. I am experimenting with geofencey now. If this does ever come back I will just use it as part of my combined presence.

That is how I believe it to work.

Rather than wait for mine to expire, I deleted it to see if it would obtain a new one. No such luck.

I was ready to abandon ship anyhow so I was fine with killing mine for the sake of knowing the ice berg was there. The unknown for me is how long the token is good for. Obviously, for those who remained up and running, it's quite a long time.

You may want to consider looking at :

1 Like

Personally, I'm using Combined Presence to combine OwnTracks, Geofency, iPhone WiFi, and HE iPhone app. Then I base my hello/goodbye routines on the vPresence devices and it is working well - if "any" arrive the vPresence device arrives and if any except WiFi depart the vPresence device departs.

We are all iPhone so is there any advantage to using owntracks vs Geofency?

I'm not too familiar with Geofenced since I use Android myself. However, OwnTracks for Hubitat Presence Detection is a versatile option that works seamlessly on both platforms. My suggestion would be to explore the features of both and choose the one that best suits your needs. The key being what offers the most features with Hubitat.

For me it has to be about update time and accuracy. Ive been trying out OT on IOS with HE and so far the updates have not been as I hoped. Don't place too much on that feedback @simon4, its too early to tell yet if I will become a fanboy of OT. L360 worked so well for me so I am basing my experience on the timeliness of that solution. I have changed from "significant" updates to "Move" for those that are using it with 30s updates to see if the batteries can take it...

On iOS all of Geofency, OwnTracks, Locative, and the native Apple Home presence perform essentially the same. For general presence detection I'd put OwnTracks at the bottom of the recommendation list due to its complexity. The reason to use OwnTracks would be for the additional functionality of the new Hubitat app.

Knock on wood. Everything's been working fine for me. I haven't had any issues and it's been working well. No errors either in the event logs.

Agree, I am using Homekit for Presence Sensor and it's as good as Life 360. My presence through Life 360 broke after we upgraded our phones last week. I am using Owntrack - MQTT for other purposes as well but for now I have deleted all Life 360 related stuff along with combined presnece and solely relying on Homekit and so far it has been very accurate. Although instead of using virtual presence sensor exposed to homekit through Hubitat homekit integration, I am using webhook shortcut as explained in the post below. Its working great and now I have much simplified set-up:

if the time and accuracy is more important for you, You may want to look at this

GitHub - brchri/tesla-geogdo: A lightweight app that will operate your smart garage door openers (GDOs) based on the location of a defined tracker, automatically closing when you leave, and opening when you return. Supports multiple vehicles, trackers, geofence types, and smart GDO devices.

Otherwise homekit setup as i posted above is being as good as life 360.

I should have mentioned, although app is for GDO but you can control a virtual presence sensor via webhook and define geofences anyway you like giving you fairly precise control all the way to <100 ft distance.

So I think I got this working (temporarily) for now. Here's what I did:

1. Commented out lines 229-257 in the listCircles method, since this API call is blocked. This allowed the main app page to load and get past the "login error", since that API call appears to be blocked. I was then able to add my son as a "device" (was previously missing in my hub as he recently got a new phone and we installed Life360 on it).
  2. Installed the "WebProxyTool" app on my iphone, and then used it to review the calls made from the Life360 app to api-cloudfront.life360.com. From here, was able to find my current "Bearer token" (it appears in almost every API call).
  3. Added a line of code at the top of the "updateMembers" function to set the "state.life360AccessToken" to the token I found.

Doing this, I was able to add my son as a "device" (he recently got a new phone) using the Life360+ Hub app, and then since the "updateMembers" function still appears to be working, my Hub can now obtain our family information to determine if we are home or away.

Here's what I discovered in trying to get this to work:

• It appears the Life360 API Token is long-lived. No idea how long it lasts or if it expires, but it appears that one you login to the app on your phone, that token is stored and used for all API calls.
  • I tried to capture the API calls using the WebProxyTool app when logging into the app, but those calls appear to be blocked. I noticed the same thing trying to login on my laptop and tried to capture using Fiddler. My best guess is that these HTTPS capture tools are stripping off headers related to CAPTCHA, and therefore the API call is blocked if those are not provided. Not sure how to get around this. (Also noticed GMAIL would not send emails if the WebProxyTool was turned on).
  • It appears that only the Life360 authentication and list circles API calls are blocked. All other API calls seem to work fine.
  • As long as you have your circle ID and your token, you can then continue to use the API, just like the iOS app does.

Hope this helps in fixing this app and continuing to troubleshoot. I really would prefer continuing to use Life360.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting these details! Yeah I also hope it can help with finding a solution.

My token is still going - the last time I logged in (in Hubitat app) was in December I believe. So, it's good that this value isn't changing very often at least.

2 Likes

Mine appears to be working even though reporting login error.

I switched to C8-Pro - 1/25 as the logs stopped then. When I restored my setup Life360 was not able to login due to the change mentioned.

So I wrote it off and installed the GeoFency to test.

This morning I opened up the phone app. I was already logged into the phone app and it was working fine.

Then I noticed that my 5 sensors for family members all reported. The Hubitat app is not logged in - showing unable to login error.

And then when I check the logs of the sensors further I find that they started updating on 2/2 and continued through 2/4. Then stopped again. And then started this morning when I opened the phone app.

So it is updating even though the app says error logging in. The app doesn’t appear to have anything in events or a way to turn on logging when not logged in? Not sure if this is helpful but curious what is going on? Thanks.

The app tries to fetch your circles when you open it and this call fails now; that's why you get the Login Error.

However, if you were previously logged-in, the app will continue to use the same auth token to fetch device updates and that still works fine for some people. It will likely stop working eventually.. you can force it by logging out of the phone app and logging back in.

My devices were also working fine but I wanted to test out capturing packets as mentioned above. I logged out of the phone app and when I logged back in the app said something about logging out other connected devices (which I assume was the Hubitat app).

I also hadn't verified my phone number either previously but did so this time. So long story short the Hubitat app doesn't work for me anymore.

I have Android and installed PCAPdroid to try and do the same thing. I setup the SSL certificate to capture SSL requests and captured a Life360 login. I haven't done this in many years so I'm going to need to figure out how to decipher it..

In any case, I do notice that if I login by either phone number or email I get a 2FA code sent to my phone. I'm guessing that will be necessary for any solution that can be found... I do know of 1 Hubitat app, Blink, that also requires you to input a 2FA code so that might help to find a solution...