[Release] Konke ZigBee Temperature Humidity Sensor Driver

@bertabcd1234 @JasonJoel

The technical details both of you can access and interpret are way past my capacity, but I'm grateful for your having posted them because I'm getting set to replace my ecobee. Your posts go a long way toward reducing my jitters.

2 Likes

Nah, this is the easy stuff. It is when things DON'T do what they are supposed to/follow standards that you need experts like mike & co. I'm just a rank amateur.

1 Like

Side note, I'm sending Mike one of my extra devices, so hopefully someday in the future it will get an official in-box driver. He always has a healthy backlog of devices, so it may be a while. But as it seems pretty well behaved from a standards standpoint, it might not take him long to crank it out when he does get around to it.

That said, many will still want to use the user driver so they can bias/set the battery voltage range, battery replacement date log, and humidity offset (two things Hubitat hasn't ever put in their in-box drivers that I can see).

1 Like

He lost interest in the motion sensor upon seeing it only works on three channels, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same happened here. If they were secretly made to work without being put on the official list, I'd be ok with that though. :slight_smile:

Well, scratch that. The device went back to reporting battery % every 2 hours - ignoring my report frequency change. I'll keep fiddling with it, though.

Question:
I put the Konke sensor in my freezer, and it stopped reporting.
I took it out and a day later it started working again. (i.e. reporting)
Is this normal, or did it die in the freezer?

That is, I know the Aqara guys report every hour or so. Regularly.
Does this also report regularly?

Once fully running (takes a day or so), based on my devices it should report:

1. Battery every 2 hours (you may not see that unless you change the driver to make all battery reports isStateChange: true since each battery report is likely the exact same number and being dropped by the system as a duplicate).
  2. Temperature every 30 minutes
  3. Humidity every 30 minutes

Personally I think that is all way to frequently, and am working on slowing it down (which should greatly increase battery life). Right now I'm trying min report time=1 minute, max=60 minutes. Assuming that works as expected I'll likely extend max out to something like 4,6, or 12 hours.

Another thought... Since the freezer is <0C, there could be an error in the code on negative numbers? Turn on debug logging and put it in there and see if it throws some errors.

EDIT: Nope. I just stuck one in the freezer, and mine is reporting just fine below 0 DegC. So :man_shrugging:

@muxa Did you test/look at reporting configuration changes? If so, do you know if the device allows report frequency/delta to be configured? I've been messing with it on/off for a few days, and am having issues getting any consistent results in changing reports.

To answer my own question... Reports are configurable on temperature and humidity. I definitely proved that to myself today. The only caveat is that like all battery devices, you have to make sure the command makes it to the device. It certainly helps to hit the manual reset button a few times when pushing the new config.

Right now mine are set to:
Min report frequency: 30s
Max report frequency: 4 hours
Temp delta for reporting: 0.324 DegF
Humidity delta for reporting: 1%

It would definitely be possible to make the settings configurable in the driver, if that is of interest. My fear is that the feature may generate a lot complaints/user requests when the report config doesn't make it to the device... "Hey, your driver doesn't work - my device still is reporting at X even after I specified Y".

Battery reporting has been more elusive. The device seems determined to report every two hours no matter what is specified in the report config. I made one last try tonight. I'll see in the next day or two what it does. For some reason battery reporting takes ~24 hours before it gets to its new "normal" on reporting frequency.

3 Likes

No, I have not. I'm relatively new to ZigBee and some things I am not aware of, like I wasn't aware of the ability to configure reporting intervals. I will dive deeper into the subject though.

Are you able to share code snippets that you used to enable configuring reporting intervals?

Here you go. Still a work in progress.

I started the driver over from scratch based on one of the example drivers from hubitat. I thought that would make it more consistent with the in-box drivers. I also haven't added back in the battery min/max settings (hard coded to 2.5 and 3.0 - where I like them) or the temp/humidity offset parameters yet.

I get odd behavior on reporting... Sometimes it reports every 30 min regardless what the change in value is specified as (it should not do that if it were respecting the report configuration), sometimes it will go longer than 30 minutes and wait for the sensor reading to go over the defined delta (like it should). Bizarre. Initially after pushing the report change it does what it is told as expected, but after a few hours it starts reporting, seemingly, whenever it feels like it (which is apparently every 30 minutes).

I'm going to try and factory reset my test device and see if that helps tonight - maybe there are multiple bindings/schedules in there somehow (?).

Also, I may remove Refresh in a future version. It doesn't seem to work consistently.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Botched1/Hubitat/master/Drivers/Konke%20Temperature%20and%20Humidity/Konke%20Temperature%20and%20Humidity.groovy

1 Like

This driver also works with BlitzWolf BW-IS4 ZigBee LCD Temperature Humidity Sensor.

1 Like

That's really nice! Do you know if the BlitzWolf sensor is also restricted to zigbee channel 15 20 like the Konke devices?

Thanks!

Edit: @jtmpush18 is correct; the Konke sensors are restricted to zigbee channel 20, not 15. Question still stands about the Blitzwolf sensors - are they also restricted to a single zigbee channel?

I've got my Konke Temp/Humidity on channel 20.
Seems to be stable, and hasn't dropped off my mesh.

1 Like

I thought it supports 15, 20, 25?

I have konke temp/humidity sensors running on channels 20 and 25 right now, so I am 100% sure of those two channels.

I think I remember testing on 15 too, but I guess I could be remembering incorrectly.

1 Like

Yup. I'm losing it. In my defense, it is Carnival. Bacchus was yesterday evening ......

Not sure as I run on channel 20.
If I feel brave enough tonight to change it I'll see if it will work on others channels.

1 Like

Just tested it out and it worked on both channel 22 & 18 so doesn't look like it is restricted.

1 Like

Blitzwolf BW-IS4 Temp and humidity sensor also works with "GENERIC Motion and Humidity sensor" driver, just FYI