[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

Well...I finally started working on layout. I was stuck trying to see the end result before even starting. I have a bunch of VS that solely exist for RM so I just removed those from the Maker API list. From there, I grouped what made sense to just stick in a folder. Thing like contact sensors from my alarm panel.

My use-case for the dashboard is specifically for folks that aren't regulars in the house (family, cleaners, dog sitter, etc.). For my family, the front in is voice commands through Google Home's scattered throughout the house. But, for folks that don't know how to use Google Home or, even if they do, don't know my naming convention (e.g. "Gabe's Bedroom" is the one bedroom downstairs), that's where these will come into play to give basic control over the lights/fans/etc.

I will say, I didn't realize, until I sat dragging and dropping tiles for about 30 minutes, that you can just add items directly from the folder tile configs.

It could be nice to come up with some kind of customized status bar dialog which could allow for this (custom text) but also options which fields are displayed here. I typically display temp, humidity, power (W) values on any device tile that supports them.. I know others have asked if that can be changed/disabled..

for reference:

I wouldn't enable it by default.. it'd be an option - like 'use tabs instead of folders'. I don't think I'd use it myself but it'd probably depend on how well it works.. for example, if a device changes state on another tab would there be a way to show this? The folder today can show device state for devices contained in the folder so that seems more useful to me.

1 Like

That's similar to how my family uses Hubitat.. there's a lot of "Ok Google, room light off" being thrown around.. that's perfect for the easy to remember devices. I use the dashboard/app mostly to view if any 'garage doors / locks / doors / lights' are left open or on. It's funny.. we have a 10" tablet right inside the garage entry and I'll use the app to see if any garage doors are open at night rather than simply opening the door and look for myself :slight_smile: But, it's more useful for a quick glance if we left any locks open at night.

The rest of the family now uses the dashboard for non-Hubitat things like the current radar, weather forecast, pollen count, my favorite team schedule, family calendar and hourly 'dad jokes' which my son loves to tell.

3 Likes

Would be good if we could give Google alternate names for rooms so for instance "Living Room" and "Sitting Room" spoken both mean the same room.

There might be some ways to do that today.. I haven't tried the alpha app yet (I actually tried once but found it really complicated) - anyway not sure if it offers any of that.

But, I do have a custom phrase used in the Google Home app -> routines setting.. I had to create a new routine with whatever I wanted to say and it turns on a few different devices at the same time... so "Ok Google Work Time" turns on a few lights, a TV and a fan.

I've seen a similar issue too.. it's related to an open source layout manager I'm using when you have at least 1 tile that's '> 1 row tall. It's got a few issues like this and I've had on my list for a while now to replace it with something better. Some of the other visual issues with this manager are extra space displayed at the bottom of the grid and tiles that are hard to re-arrange. I haven't found anything better though and it's complex enough that I don't want to write one from scratch either.. anyway, I will keep looking

1 Like

The community app doesn't add that feature either. It's inherent to Google Home to only have a single room name and no nesting. I think @Inge_Jones was getting at the native ability in Google that let's you say "Turn on the XXX room lights" and it will turn on any "light" device type assigned to that room in the app.

In line with my issue, it would help to have that available since folks could intuitively say "turn off the downstairs bedroom lights" without knowing that it's "Gabe's bedroom".

1 Like

I haven't given up on perfect video/RTSP support! It's just very time consuming and I haven't had a ton of time lately. No matter what, video streaming is very memory intensive and the Fire tablets are pretty low end in terms of CPU and memory.. that's why I really want to combine 2 different tiles into 1 for my 10" Fire tablet -- a frequently updating image tile that gets the image from my camera and clicking on it would show the live video feed. From a memory standpoint that would be ideal. But, I realize multiple live video feeds would also be really useful and I've had it working before (albeit on a more powerful Pixel phone) so if I can find more ways to make it more efficient I'll do it

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. Number and Decimal Variables tiles currently don't have anything displayed at the bottom of the tile, having custom text would help users understand context.

@jpage4500 is it possible to keep the tabs separate from folders. I think folders the way they are is wonderful. I would argue just adding tabs as a separate entity would be a better choice. I like to keep a single screen, full of folders, but containing everything. It would be cool to have tabs in addition so I can set certain dashboards to a particular tab, which will likely be room based. This would allow us to maintain just a single dashboard for all devices of all sizes and configurations.

After reading what I said above maybe the best solution is for tabs to be separate "dashboards". That way each tab could be rooms, device types, or entirely different dashboards. This would maybe fix the issue of copies of tiles sharing sizing attributes.

version 1.0.1653 (beta)

• add option to group devices into a folder by room
  • fix bug where RTSP video didn't stop after closing popup dialog
  • refactor manage hidden devices dialog
  • change thermostat logic to support devices that only heat or only cool
  • add new built-in date format (HH:mm)
  • add prompt when deleting tiles or folders

There's several smaller changes in this release - the only one I'll call out here is the new option to automatically create a new folder with devices that are all in the same room.

Notes:

• This requires version 2.3.2.131 of the Hubitat Hub - which returns rooms for each device. You can organize your devices on the hub using this page: http://hubitat.local/room/list
  • If you already have a folder with the same name as the room (ie: "1st floor"), I'll put the devices in that folder and not create a new one. That way you can add future devices into the room folder the same way
  • I just realized I'm not sorting the devices in the folder in any way.. I'll put out a future update which sorts them initially either by name or device type..

added in version 1653

added in version 1653 (it might not be exactly what you had in mind -- it won't add new devices to this folder later on - just a 1-time operation)

this one's late but I am now checking if 'heating' or 'cooling' is supported and will hide these options if not. Not the greatest UI but at least there shouldn't be any more cooling section

last note.. I realized that the release notes aren't being created automatically. Normally you'd see what changes when you check for updates (manually) or in Google Play. I'll try to get these fixed so you might see a new version or 2 appear in the next few days while getting this worked out

I can't get the tile to appear like that - I've never been able to get any controls to show. It just displays a temperature and nothing else whether I set the device as Thermostat or Temperature Sensor. It'll be something to do with my specific device rather than your app. I recall there were some issues getting it to work with SharpTools and Josh had to make some changes to get it working there.

1 Like

Is the tile 1x1? I only show the temp on 1x1 thermostat tiles anyway (not enough space to fit)

Yeah I've tried different sizes of tile. From memory it's something to do with the capabilities that my device app/driver uses but I can't recall what the issue was. I posted the device info and some related info from another thread further up this one. Post #3341

huh.. I should have been using the same capabilities of your device. I added the JSON you sent me a while back as a test device in the app. Did I add the wrong device? I'm using the one called "Bedroom Heating Zone (Evohome)".

Correct - that's one of the devices but it won't display controls for me. Post #3341 references an excerpt in the thread where I was trying to get it working in SharpTools.

Hmm.. the test device I'm looking at should have the same attributes/capabilities as your device.. the key is this attribute: "thermostatMode": "economy",

// thermostatMode - ENUM ["auto", "off", "heat", "emergency heat", "cool"]

There's no 'economy' in the official hubitat driver docs so I'm treating this one like 'auto'. I'm also looking for the presence of heatingSetpoint to display the heating controls and coolingSetpoint to display cooling controls.

What does it say after "Change mode" in the options dialog? It should say "auto"

I might need another JSON snippet if none of this helps!