[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

I does look easy to setup. Have you experienced any issues with it?

It has been over a year since I switched to Hubitat Dashboard app. I recall that setting up AT was similar to any new automation project... ups and downs, learning curve, WAF, etc.

I will give it a shot. It does not look that difficult.

I don't think your understanding at all how a dashboard works. You add your devices to maker API by doing that they populate on the dashboard. It all begins from the Hubitat hub. You gave up nearly instantly, this will take patience and experimentation to see what you like.

1 Like

Thanks Joe! Boy do I feel dumb! I thought I had tried that, but I guess I didn't. I did find one button that wouldn't change to the Label so I unchecked it in the Maker API, clicked Update, then checked it back on. It reappeared in the dashboard and the folder and I was able to change it then.

Appreciate the great app, and the fast response. I made a contribution last night, and I hope other folks feel the same towards all your efforts!

As an escapee from the latest Wink outage, I'm actually enjoying getting into the Hubitat universe. A lot more challenging than the Wink experience, but a lot more reliable, flexible and extensible!

Now if I could just get Alexa to work, but that's the next challenge!

All the best, and thanks again,

Alex.

1 Like

Question about multiple instances of the app.

I have been using it for a while and love it. My wife is getting to a point she wants better oprions, so I downloaded the app on her phone, but when it loaded up, it didn't load nearly as many devices as I have (most of what it did load ill hide) and it didnt load many of what she will want. I assumed it would load whatever devices my phone has. Am I missing something? Do I need to run a second instance of maker?

They should be identical (I would think) from a device standpoint. I just loaded the app fresh on my phone and see all my devices like the tablet. Any tiles you manually added will not appear. Also, remember that the default sort order is by device (maybe you sorted by something else so things just aren't where you expect to see them).

2 Likes

Do you have several local tiles - like image/video/folders/etc? Tiles added via the app (edit -> add tile) are local to the app instance and won't be visible on other devices by default.

You can do a backup to the Hub from your device and restore from hub on another device - that will get all of those local tiles on both devices. You can always change around the layout after that.

I'm also working on a very simple Hubitat driver which can be used to set some URL's like for a refreshing image/video URL and most other tiles that can be added on the app. I wanted this not only to have the same image URL's available on all devices but also to avoid having to enter URL's on a phone/tablet which is a pain..

3 Likes

After spending some time to figure out this app; I can say that it is excellent. Thank you for your great work.

I did say stupid. I figure that out quickly :nerd_face:

Maybe I'm missing it. Is there any way to do bulk hide tiles? Is the only way to click through each tile (edit mode, click tile, select hide, click OK in the popup)? I'm planning to setup a hub in each main room so I need all devices exposed through Maker.

I think @jpage4500 was considering making tabs in a future build. If he does that you may want a main tab with everything on it. Than tabs for each room. That way you only have to maintain a single backup for all your dashboards.

It gets to be a major pain maintaining multiple different dashboards. I would suggest for the time being making just one dashboard and create room folders. The dashboard stays opened to whatever folder you were last in.

Joe I had meant to ask if it's possible if we can have an setting to adjust the behavior to either stay in the folder you were last in our bounce back to the main page.

That's a good idea and probably better than what I was trying to do anyhow. Thinking about it some more, it would be nice for my wife and I to still be able to get to whatever we want. Just have to remember to leave it at the room folder for the folks that come in not knowing how to control things.

I would love an option to auto create folders based on room. There are way too many devices to have everything on the main page, so I add them all to room folders I manually create. But whenever I add a new device I have to fix it.

Or maybe an entirely separate view option by rooms where you can just see the list of rooms and then when you click it filters to that room?

Tabs would also work for me! Especially if there can be an option to have it done by the rooms set in Hubitat. Or a manual "sort into rooms" option that I can press any time I add a new device

An update to the dashboard crashing on my Fire HD10....
I deleted the one rtsp video feed that I had on it, since it was not reliable, and the crashing stopped!!!
I am going to add another video feed to see if the crashing returns.
STILL a great dashboard with tons of features!
Thank you for your effort!

1 Like

Now you mention it I think I had a similar issue like that. I may have posted about it further up the thread I'll see if I can locate it. The tablet went a bit nuts and I had to do a force restart. I went back to viewing the camera using mjpeg through Motion Eye on my RPI.

Edit: I mentioned it in post 3284. It's not obvious that the RTSP stream was the issue but the logs were full of Exoplayer 'DECODER_INIT_FAILED' so I put two and two together....

I have a folder with all my camera feeds, and they were working great until recently. I can't scroll down enough to get the full 5th feed. I have 8 feeds in there that I could previously scroll to. Any thoughts?

I am not sure if there is a way of doing this already but it would be useful for clarity. Tiles that display Number Variables or Decimal Variables to have a user editable text description field that would be displayed at the bottom of the tile, it could be used to display units for example.

Having recently had to re-create a dashboard I would like to have 'HH:mm' 24 hour format included in the Date Format picker, to ease the pain of typing a custom format.

Many thanks for your great work.

Right now, no - you have to hide tiles individually.

Now that the app can get room info (available via MakerAPI in one of the latest Hubitat Hub updates) - it opens up more possibilities

For example, something I do when I first login to the app is to group all lights into a single folder.. I've got too many lights and don't want them taking up so much space on the dashboard. It's a 1-click 'group similar devices':

Anyway, I can use room info to do something similar - like grouping all devices that have the same room into a folder.. would that be helpful to anyone?

It's not quite the same as hiding multiple devices but could be useful too..

I will say I used to hide devices but now just put them into a folder at the bottom of the dashboard.. that way I still can access them but they don't take up any (much) space.

side-note.. i do the same thing on my iPad.. 1 "Apple" folder with all of the built-in apps I never use :slight_smile:

Good ideas! I'll implement the auto create folder by room idea (some details in the above post). It probably won't auto-add future new devices into a folder though since that might get complex -- not just for the app but managing it from the UI

The tabs idea was initially going to just make every folder a tab instead.. so, if you had a folder "Living Room" with 10 devices in it - that would become a tab instead. Just a different way to navigate. I'm happy to revisit it - I had a working demo at one point but wasn't sure how much it'd be used and didn't want to over-complicate the app.