[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

I had some db lockout errors like this for a while - only once or twice per day. A soft reset didn't fix it, but over time I was able to get a few clues to which apps were involved. Uninstalled and reinstalled the offending apps and it appears to have fixed the issue - or at least masked it.

It's Friday!! And that means it's time for some new SPOLIERS!

Despite a long and enjoyable camping season, I do try to implement as many of the awesome suggestions I've received. Today's spoiler is one that was originally saved for 2.0, but since we have a great group of beta testers for 1.7 I decided to unwrap this present a little early.

Introducing Custom Driver Manifests...

A custom driver manifest is a very simple JSON file that contains one or more custom driver definitions that can be imported & exported. This is useful to back up your own driver definitions. It's also a useful tool to allow devs who wish create and distribute HubConnect stub drivers an convenient way to distribute those definitions as well.

For those participating in the 1.7 beta, I will be kicking off that process over the weekend!

3 Likes

Still new to Hubitat, Smartthings and HubConnect after some advice please.
I think I've installed and configured everything OK, but not sure about how devices are to appear in Hubitat.

I currently only have a AURORA AONE Smart Double socket connected to ST, I've set up everything as I believe it is to be done, and in HE logs I get the following:

app:92 2020-01-10 21:34:00.849 error... Uunable to create device AURORA SMART DOUBLE SOCKET 2: com.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'HubConnect Switch' in namespace 'shackrat' not found.
app:92 2020-01-10 21:34:00.824 error... Uunable to create device AURORA SMART DOUBLE SOCKET 1: com.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'HubConnect Switch' in namespace 'shackrat' not found.
app:92 2020-01-10 21:34:00.206 error... Uunable to create device AURORA SMART DOUBLE SOCKET 2: com.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'HubConnect Power Meter' in namespace 'shackrat' not found.
app:92 2020-01-10 21:34:00.178 error... Uunable to create device AURORA SMART DOUBLE SOCKET 1: com.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'HubConnect Power Meter' in namespace 'shackrat' not found.
app:92 2020-01-10 21:33:59.404 error... Uunable to create device AURORA SMART DOUBLE SOCKET 2: com.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'HubConnect Pocket Socket' in namespace 'shackrat' not found.
app:92 2020-01-10 21:33:59.372 error... Uunable to create device AURORA SMART DOUBLE SOCKET 1: com.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'HubConnect Pocket Socket' in namespace 'shackrat' not found.

Is there something I've missed? thank you.

From those error messages, it would appear that you have forgotten to install the drivers on your Hubitat hub in which you are sharing your SmartThings devices too.

It looks like HubConnect Switch & HubConnect Power Meter need to be imported to your server hub. Those can be found here.

After you install the missing drivers go back into the ST classic app and reelect your devices.

i installed this quite a while ago and got all of my ST devices to come in as virtual devices. I tested it and all was well, but i didnrt do much with it. Now im back at it trying to set up automations that involve ST and HE, but the connection in the HE app shows smartthings is offline. I can do into the settings, just click Done, then the ST connection is back online. then a few minutes later, it shows as offline again. Even when its showing online, now, i cant control or see ST device states from HE, which is causing issues setting up some automations.

both devices have DHCP reservations, both are online and working. I have monitoring so i get alerts when either drops off the network, and neither has in a very long time. I can get into the HE dashboard on any device to control what i have there, and i can get into the ST app and can control everything there, so it just looks like the connection between the 2. Its disconnected most of the time, but it reconnects and doesnt let me see current status or control devices when its online, then it drops off pretty quick. im really not sure where to go with troubleshooting, so any tips would be appreciated!

Just FYI on keypad stub driver - @mike.maxwell actually did post the Iris V3 keypad driver on github (thanks Mike!).

I took a quick look, and to me it looks like all that is missing is populating the "data:" field on the arm/disarm events with a JSON entry containing the lockcode used, or [digital] when digital.

No clue why HSM uses that field, but I guess it does :man_shrugging:.

I'll try to test that out later this weekend, but I have a few other projects in the queue before this.

I would guess we need to do something like this section in the Iris keypad code:

def lockCode = JsonOutput.toJson(["${lcData.codeNumber}":["name":"${lcData.name}", "code":"${lcData.code}", "isInitiator":lcData.isInitiator]] )

And then in the event add the data field:

if (optEncrypt) {
sendEvent(name:"securityKeypad", value: value, data:encrypt(lockCode), type: type, descriptionText: descriptionText)
} else {
sendEvent(name:"securityKeypad", value: value, data:lockCode, type: type, descriptionText: descriptionText)
}

I haven’t seen this mentioned but it looks like Zigbee group messaging doesn’t behave well across HubConnect. I moved all my Sylvania lights to a new hub and when I got home the next night my exterior security lighting when nuts. Back to popcorn lights and some didn’t turn on while others didn’t change color temp.

Not a big deal. I just moved the groups to the lighting hub and everything is working great. Just wanted to pass along a minor gotcha I had.

1 Like

I shall eagerly await your test results...

HubConnect does not actually pass Zigbee messaging, only device events. So you will natually get the popcorn effect if you're trying to control a group of virtual HubConnect devices since each one effectively has to tell the physical device to turn on.

If you use group messaging, the best thing is to share the group device through HubConnect. Then you will be able to control the lighting group from any hub but still have the instant control of all lights at the same time. It appears that is what you've done, so that's a plus.

3 Likes

Having some trouble with the Ikea Dimmer buttons. Currently use them with SmartThings trying to get them to work through Hubconnect as I transition. Just using these as a 2 button on/off device not for dimming. HE does not support so will have to keep these in SmartThings until I get some new ones. I installed everything as per the guide worked with no issues. Tested a few different kind of items and no issues. Time to get these figured out and cant get it!!!

When I go to the Select devices to synchronize menu I cant get them to show up anywhere. Things I've tried. Keeping them with the stock Ikea DH in SmartThings nothing... Changing the DH to the Hubconnect Button in SmartThings and nothing... I did try to create a custom one i did the pushbutton this worked to get them to show up in the synchronize menu under the custom section but unfortunately my skill level is limited to copying and pasting others code and could not get it to register the button pushes.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Link to device below for reference.

I believe this is related to the fact that devices using SmartThings' "new" method for DTH creation--which could very well include this one--cannot be seen with "classic" Groovy SmartApps (like HubConnect). I can't find any posts about this now but do remember seeing some.

I recall hearing this as well, but don't remember if it was something that has since been fixed.

Which app are you trying to use? You might be able to select them if you try selecting in the the new app. The HubConnect app more or less works in it now.

Thanks for the quick response from both of you!

I tried in both apps. Sorry should've included that in the original troubleshooting items. I will try again in the new app to be safe.

Just tested again. Nothing.

Not sure if this would make a difference to what you guys mean but I did the install through classic app. I can do an uninstall and reinstall all through new app if you think it may make a difference.

Without modifying the device types within HubConnect, you won’t be able to select them.

If I remember correctly, the OCF device types smart with OIC.

Re-installing will not help. SmartThings is simply not making the device available for selection. When you log into the SmartThings IDE, what is the device driver that is assigned to the motion sensors?

When I log into the Groovy IDE I only see "Ikea Button" and "Ikea Motion Sensor". Chances are if it's a driver unique to the new platform then I would say @bertabcd1234 explanation is probably the final answer on this.

He's trying to take a SmartThings-connected device and share it to Hubitat. Modifying the device types in HubConnect will not help in this instance.

I did it. I shared appliances to Hubitat.

Unless I am totally misunderstanding the issue.

Setting ocf values on the ST stub drivers will help if you’re trying to use HubConnect virtual devices in SmartThings. He’s going the opposite direction, taking the IKEA physical devices on the ST platform and sharing them to Hubitat as virtual devices. So in this case, the virtual drivers on the ST platform don’t even come into play. The physical drivers do. Thats why I am asking which drivers those devices use.

I went from ST (OCF drivers) to virtual devices on Hubitat.

I was trying to find a way to connect a washer and dryer. It worked well. However ST is constantly breaking their appliance connectivity. When ST worked, it worked great. When ST didn’t, it technically still worked, it just wasn’t useful.

1 Like

FYI, in the new Hubconnect drivers. The Google integration will not with with a bulb if it's set for "Hubconnect RGB Bulb" it DOES work if you use "Hubconnect RGBW Bulb" not sure what the difference is there.

Hi there!

First time using HubConnect, trying to setup with Hubitat as primary hub and SmartThings as Remote. Have followed all instructions and everything working until I get to the "Connecting A Hub". Everything works in Hubitat Web UI, but when going to SmartThings app, the app does not have any place to "enter the local LAN IP address" as instructed in the instructions in Connecting A Hub, 6. 1. The screen shows nothing but Server Details: Not Connected, with no ability to enter an IP, or connect. All I can do is a NEXT at the bottom that takes you back out of the app in the SmartThings App.

What am I missing?