[RELEASE] Hub Rebooter App

Excuse my ignorance, but I had followed another community members RM rule to reboot my hub 3 times a week, which has worked great, , but wasn't aware if i turn on hub security that my hub rule in RM to reboot would not function. Could someone explain? If security is in jeopardy using RM for this function and the new app will work even if hub security is turned on, then i'd definately switch to this new app. Much appreciated.

You can password protect your hub’s admin interface so that one has to enter a username and password when connecting to the hub in a browser window. Otherwise, anyone that knows the hub’s local IP address can access it.

I haven’t really bothered to, the hub is on my LAN and I know who is on my LAN. Everyone feels differently about security, of course, but in this case the password protection only matters if a malicious/unauthorized user is already on your LAN.

So I would not say your security is “in jeopardy” if you don’t have a GUI password enabled.

Check the hub documentation section of the website for instructions on how to enable password protection.

1 Like

Thank you! I'll read that documentation. Much appreciated. But if i do turn on hub security will my RM rule to reboot my hub cease to function and my only recourse to reboot automatically is this new app?

1 Like

If you password protect the hub, then you can’t send a reboot command that calls the hub reboot url without some mechanism for entering your username and password each time.

This app offers one way to do that.

1 Like

FANTASTIC. I really appreciate you taking the time and explaining the hub security option and hub rebooting. Thanks again!

2 Likes

In about 3 weeks, I've only experienced one hub slow down. I proactively installed this app and set up a weekly reboot Saturdays at 3AM … hopefully this will prevent any slowdown issues. Ideally, the root cause of the slowdowns others are experiencing should be identified.

2 Likes

Yes. I hope this happens as well.

1 Like

Rootin’ Tootin’ Self-Rebootin’ might be something of interest to you. It can detect slowdown and reboot the hub automatically. I didn’t even know this thread existed when I added the login feature to it :joy:

2 Likes

Thanks … I'll check it out if this becomes an issue for me!

1 Like

I have installed the app and worked perfectly to restart the hub, thanks a lot for sharing the code. As well I created a rule in RM to send me a message after the hub restarts to make sure it happened.
Will reboot the hub every day harm it in any way ??

A reboot or shutdown shouldn’t harm anything unless you pull the hub’s power plug to do so.

2 Likes

perfect, then I will schedule the reboots everyday with this app to get better performance from it, thanks for the help

If I remember correctly, can you post the URL you use to remotely reboot the hub?

Before installing this app I want to know: if my system is armed when the reboot occurs will it remain armed after the reboot.

I suspect the answer is no, but just want to be sure.

HE will stay armed. But you have c4, are you planning something for Nyckelharpa or? :slight_smile:

Good that it keeps the same alarm and mode status

Ummm, what is c4?

Nothing planned for Nyckelharpa. I can just about keep up with things that show up unannounced.:crazy_face:

Update: just did an auto reboot and the system status and mode did not change from Armed Night. Kewl!

1 Like

Hub model, the one with the USB stick radios is c4, the one with integrated radios is c5. There is c3 but it's the same as c4 but early adopters model. c7 is coming soon.

The C7 hub exists, since there FCC documents on it, but have they said anything about when it’s going to be released?

FWIW: It would appear that I own a C4 model. No reason to update at this time.