[RELEASE] Home Assistant Device Bridge (HADB)

The problem is not with HADB. Without knowing your particular setup it is hard to give you advice. Especially since this forum is not quite the right place to troubleshoot HA problems.

Nonetheless, the message inform you that HA no longer see your devices. As a starting point, I would make sure your zigbee integration is running fine (Z2M I guess).

2 Likes

Ok, maybe don't restart just yet... ;-)...

1 Like

Thank you for your reply @ymerj . Thank you for your recommendation and sorry for posting a HA question in the wrong thread. As a somewhat NOOB, as I set up the ZigBee2MQTT as a part of the process of setting up the HADB, I thought perhaps this was the place for such a question.

Thanks for your reply Simon @sburke781 . I am glad to inform you that your ill-informed typical IT response actually worked :smile: I noticed that I was behind on several HA and MQTT updates and in the process of updating those, several restarts was made, and Voila, MQTT found all curtain drivers again. Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Of late, I have noticed I have to occasionally restart the Z2M add-in. Try that if you experience Zigbee issues on HA first. Might not need to restart HA, and it’s much faster to just restart the add-in.

Hopefully, if there’s something to fix with Z2M, they will fix it soon.

1 Like

What functions do you want to control? I don’t have an LG tv, so I don’t know what can be controlled via that integration.

I want to see the state (on-off) of the TV in Hubitat. I'd also like to send messages to the TV, but I'm don't see where the HA integration supports that.
The Hubitat integration supports messaging, along with power, volume input (both physical and streaming platform) amongst other things. Ideally I'll be able to get it working again.

I cannot think of a way to support the text input with what exists. But you can sync on/off to a virtual switch using the HE > HA integration. You might be able to map a virtual dimmer to the volume control. Beyond that, I don’t think you’ll have the control you’re hoping for.

You might be able to use Echo Speaks with an Alexa Skill for LG messages if that’s supported, but it would be a triple cloud hop to get there.

Okay, so if I wanted to support something that has no driver on hubitat, is there a way to create a virtual device in HA and bring that over to HE?

Use case: I have the Mysubaru app up and running in home assistant. Not even going to try and ask anyone to replicate all that this one entails. But, the thing I am looking to do is replicate the remote start capability. This shows as a button press in HA. But, that feature did not come over. So, wondering if I can create a virtual button or switch in HA, and then control that button via the bridge as opposed to playing with maker API. I created buttons, but they are not being seen on the app's discovery feature.

You can do one of two things. You can create a Toggle helper on HA and then create an HA automation to trigger the remote start when the toggle is activated, or you can add the HE > HA integration metioned above in addtion to HADB. There's no problem running both on the same hub. With that, you would instead share a Hubitat Virtual Switch with HE, and then create an HE automation to press the button (or it might be activate the service, the HA custom integrations are all a little different).

I prefer the latter because I find it just easier to work with than HA Helpers. It's also dead simple to just toggle the option on HE so the switch turns off 1 second after it's pressed. Up to you which you use. I do this kind of thing for the Bluelink integration on my IONIQ 5 and button devices that can't come over to HE via HADB because buttons are stateless and so don't create entities.

3 Likes

Ahh, so the device type is why it wasn't coming over. I prefer one less integration at least for now. So, will likely just go with the helper.

1 Like

So, considering I have been in HA all of two days now..... I can see this is going to be as addictive as HE was. THANKS for the pointer!! We now have single button press remote start, stop, lock and unlock.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s great, isn’t it? I use the Alexa integration on Hubitat to trigger a virtual switch that warms up the car. Nice to be able to just ask it to be done and it’s done.

1 Like

That's my kind of decadence. :+1:

2 Likes

Added in RM to automatically open the garage door if the car being started is home and some pretty cool Star Trek and Star Wars references for google to speak back. Mine is "Obi Wan" - Outback, her Xtrek is "Trekkie." We get feedback once the routine runs...... "May the force be with you" or "Boldy Go.... " (The grand kids get a kick out of it and so do I.... LOL)

I'm moving my vacuums from HE to HA, mostly because the integration is way easier and I'm doing most of my dashboarding in HA now (love it). But I do need to bring some of the vacuum attributes/events back into HE for automation purposes. Which of course I can do via HADB. I utilize this same setup for other devices too -- works great.

The one wrinkle I just noticed is that there are some situations in HA where a device attribute lives at the device level, not down at the entity level. For example, my iRobot has a Status (e.g., docked, running, etc.) that, in HA, is part of device control. There is no separate entity for status. Same with bin presence and bill fill level.

Of course, this isn't always the case. For example, there is an entity for the device's battery level, so pulling that through HADB to HE is straightforward.

I could just create a helper in HA and write a simple automation that keeps the helper value updated based on the HA device attribute. But, before I do all that, I'm wondering if folks have found a more elegant solution to this kind of situation.

TIA guys. On the HA side, I'm still a total noob.

1 Like

I'd either use the helper as you mentioned, or what I personally do is use the HE > HA integration in addition to HADB so I can just share virtual devices with HA and synchronize them with the HA device's status using an HA automation. Works pretty much the same, but I find it easier and faster than using HA Helpers for the task.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s makes it a little easier. I like it.

What I was hoping was that there was some way to pass device (not entity) attributes across HADB. Oh well. Not so bad. Thx

1 Like

Hey fellow HADB'ers....

Anyone seeing odd behavior on this app with the latest HE firmware? It might be a coincidence, but today, after updating to 2.3.7.139, both my HADB instances mysterious pulled across ALL of the entities from HA, rather than the handful that I had selected awhile ago when I set up the bridge originally. Unsurprisingly, it brought the hub to its knees (hundreds of child devices), as well as a couple other hubs that use HE hub mesh to use some of the same devices/events for automation purposes.

I didn't change any of the HADB parameters -- and I certainly didn't add new entities to HADB dropdown. Very odd. Yesterday I updated the HASS firmware--maybe that's a factor? Any similar experiences?

Maybe more importantly, anyone have advice on how to back out of this situation -- can I somehow use the HADB app to revert to prior/normal state without deleting everything and starting over? I can restore last night's backup, but I'm hoping for something more elegant as I don't want to lose other changes I've made today.

Appreciate any ideas. TIA...

Not sure what might have gone wrong. If you can replicate the issue please let us know.

There's an option that should be able to help you clean things up.

Before you do anything, take a Hubitat backup just in case something goes wrong and you want to restore.

Then, In the HADB configuration app, ensure that your filtering options are set to the devices you want to keep. On the advanced options page, look for this:

Remove all child devices that are not currently either user-selected or manually-added (use carefully!)

That option will remove child devices for any entities that aren't in your "include" list in the HADB app.

4 Likes