[RELEASE] Hello Home for Hubitat

Hello Home for Hubitat

An implementation of a Hello Home log display for Hubitat, with Notifications and Dashboard support.

Features

• Parent/Child implementation
    • Hello Home Manager (parent)

• Subscribes to the Location Log and generates message texts for selected events that are sent to the Hello Home Notifier (child) for display

• Displays ALL Location Events generated with the name: "HelloHome" and eventType: "APP_NOTIFICATION" or "DEVICE_NOTIFICATION".
        Example:
        sendLocationEvent(name: "HelloHome", descriptionText: "Some message", value: app.label, type: 'APP_NOTIFICATION')

• Attempts to eliminate duplicate messages being sent back-to-back

• Hello Home Notifier (child)

• Receives messages from the Manager and generates HTML display content for the Hubitat Dashboard in the myText attribute (works best in a 2x2 Dashboard tile). myTile is limited to 1024 bytes; older messages are simply deleted.

• Defaults to keep only the last 10 messages it displays; this can be changed in the Device preferences.

• Implements the Notifications capability so other Hubitat apps can send their own Hello Home notifications - these will be posted with the eventType: DEVICE_NOTIFICATION

• Hubitat apps can also send APP_NOTIFICATION events via the device.helloHome(String appName, String message) command entry point

Installation

You need to install both the Hello Home Manager application and the Hello Home Notifier driver in their respective Code repositories on your Hubitat hub(s). For simplicity, here are the two links you'll need:

Important Note

Hubitat does not present an API that allows for retrieving old events from the Location Event log, so the Notifier will only display those messages that occur while it is running.

Applications Support

At the moment, only my Universal Ecobee Suite utilizes the notion of sending 'HelloHome' location events to create an activity log. If anyone else adopts this and wants me to list their Hubitat apps/drivers here, I'll be happy to create a list.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Is this like the Hello Home that was in SmartThings?
Curious but confused.
That thing irked me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yup, like in The Other HA Platform...

If it irks you, PLEASE DON'T INSTALL IT! :grin:

2 Likes

Didn't mean to offend anyone.
Just asking what was going on here.

No problem, I'm just having fun.

Note - I'm an "independent" developer, not part of the Hubitat team.

Caps have seemed to convey genuine animosity here, so glad to hear.
Although I haven't seen any of that in a while, thank goodness.
Have any screenshots of what the Hello Home dash tile looks like?

Actually looks more useful than the ST one!
Perhaps if I get a chance I'll give it a whirl.
I'm about ready to nuke my HE setup and start from scratch so this will be towards the bottom of my todo list...

1 Like

I like this. Glad you added it. I am going to be installing the suit this weekend. My goal is comfort, but less costly. Texas heat & humidity is killing the HVAC, ECOBEE, and mostly my wallet.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.