[Release] HE - Dash Assistant

Hi to all,

HE - Dash Assistant early beta is now available. The App exists for Mac and Windows. I developed this app to cover my own requirements, but I'm pleased to share it here with you. If the app is of use for you, I will continue the development.

[Updated post 2021-12-08]
The main function of the actual version is to rearrange overlying tiles so that you can send some tiles to the back and some to the front, even finer like on layers in Photoshop.

Tiles in dashboards are ordered in the same way that they are ordered in the Layout text, so in the order they have been created. This app allows you to reorder them with ease. There are two methods to do so. I mainly use the second one.

The first one is to drag the templates into the desired order in the list in HE - Dash Assistant. By dragging 'images' to the top (attention - Top is layer 0, so the back) and 'link' to the front means that all tiles of type 'image' will be moved to the back and all tiles of type 'ink' will go in front. Other tile types are somewhere between in the order of the layers. This works well if you use a straight template oriented design (for example a main dashboard with states visible, but always links on top to other dashboards.

The second way is more flexible and uses tile numbers. This requires some strategy. Let's say you also want images to be on the back and links in front, but in some cases you want some controls to sit above the links. My strategy is all images have numbers from 0-999, all links numbers from 2000-2999 and all controls to sit on top numbers from 3000 -, and all others numbers from 1000-1999. Now you create 3 new tiles and they get numbers like 3067, 3068,3069. Note them, launch HE - Dash Assistant, follow the instructions below, change the numbers to 2056,2057 and 2058. Click on the Reorder button and your JSON is modified.

Actually no manual or description exists, so I'll try to explain the function here as good as possible.

WINDOWS Version:

MAC Version:

Description:
Open a dashboard in a browser and select the gear icon in the upper right corner. A window opens. Select 'Advanced' and 'Layout' in the upper bar. Click on the JSON text, select all, and copy.

Click on the 'Paste' button below the JSON field in HE - Dash Assistant.

Use one of the two methods described above to reorder your tiles. The CSS code like '#tile-XX' is also automatically adopted when you change tile numbers. This avoids loosing style information or even worth, wrong styling due to non corresponding numbers and the requirement to adopt the CSS namually.

Then click on the 'Copy' button of the JSON field and copy the text back to the Layout tab in the browser.

WARNING! Always do a backup of your Hubitat before playing around with this app, so that you can go back in case of problems. I use the app since several days without any problem.

Please post your comments, problems and suggestions here :wink:

Links
Download Mac Version
(The app is beta and not notarized by Apple. You will get a message that you can not run the app from an unidentified developer. In that case, run the app to get the message, open the system preferences and open the security panel, look for the blocking message at the bottom of the panel and click on the button 'Run anyway'. Once done the app starts every time without a problem.)

Download Windows Version (64bit)

10 Likes

Very cool. I'm not even much of a Dashboard user (yet) and still sensed the urgent need for a configuration tool like this. Well done!

I really believe the Hubitat's native DB capabilities, along with 3rd-party dashboard utilities like yours, position HE as a serious front-runner in this space. Congrats!

I think that Hubitat is one of the best systems out there but it has an important learning curve. One of the reasons I nearly aborted on it was the dashboard. I believe that people are today very sensible on GUI and nice interfaces and we should not need tools like this but it should work natively with better customisation settings and layers to select for a tile. But actually it is what it is and I found my way. From an ugly Windows 8 style dashboard I came to this (in progress):

The green tiles are the old ones I already found cool, but the tile to the right is the future I work on...

2 Likes

Update available (link updated). Please update to avoid CSS error.

Updated 2021-12-08

• Removed the CSS field - By changing a tile number, the '#tile-xx' in the CSS will now be changed automatically in the 'Layout JSON'. By pasting this text back to the dashboard the CSS is also adopted.
  • Installed a check in the 'Paste' of the JSON to avoid pasting invalid text in the field.

You should have this added to HPM

This isn't a Github project and not written in Groovy...

1 Like

Oops, didn't think about that! My bad..

Windows version wants to run as administrator (wants to make changes to system), is it necessary?

To be honest, no idea. I create generally only software for Mac and there it becomes a pain to code. You have to sign software and to get it notarized by Apple to get it to run without problems. But that means also to pay an Apple developer license and much more. But you can still install it by working around the security.

I can compile the code for windows but it does not end up into a nice single file built as on the Mac. Most Windows users do not have these problems. I think it depends on the security settings of your system. Is it managed by an IT service ?

A major update is on the way, stay tuned.

Sorry for the delayed response, kind of missed.

If you are developing the app and bundling with installer then it may need admin credentials to install in system context. But if you are just distributing the app (not the installer) then ideally it should not require Admin level privileges considering the application is not intending to make system level changes. This setting can be turned down in Visual Studio (if that is what you are using for development).

Are you hosting the code in git or sf? if so I can take a look and help with the process.