[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

version 1.0.1039 (beta)

• add global PIN protection for sending commands to hub
  • new prompt for toggling devices on/off - displays both options
  • fix fetching cloud token from 'cloud mode' dialog
  • add new click option: prompt, no prompt, read only, etc
  • add PIN protection for individual devices or tiles
  • add option when saving files to save to device / SD Card

Lots of changes here.. requiring a LOT of refactoring in the process. I did my best to test/test/test.. but, as usual please let me know if you see any issues and I'll try to fix them ASAP.

The biggest change is giving more control over what happens when you click on a device tile. You have the following choices:

• Toggle = always toggle device state - on/off, open/closed, etc, regardless of device type
  • Prompt Some = Prompt for device types locks, valves, garage doors
  • Prompt All = Prompt for all device types (such as lights)
  • Read Only = No action when clicking on any device tile (except things like folders)

• In addition to above, there's a new "Lock Hub Commands" option. When enabled, a PIN is required to send ANY command to your hub. Basically, a global PIN prompt.

• If you don't want a global PIN prompt but still want to PIN protect a given device or even folder - that's now available too. When set, a PIN is required to send a command to that device (or view the given folder).

• NOTE: if BOTH a global PIN and device PIN are set, the global PIN is used
  • The prompt that you see has also changed. Instead of the prompt: "Do you want to turn the lights on?", I'm now showing both options. It'll just give more control in case you want to send the 'on' command to a device that's already on or if the app/hub isn't in sync with your device.

4 Likes

version 1.0.1043 (beta)

• allow multiple WIFI AP's (SSID) to be entered into cloud mode dialog

It's 2-for-Wednesday :slight_smile:

With this version, I tried to improve the Cloud Mode dialog and logic.

• If you want to force the app into cloud mode - just enter anything in the SSID field and hit OK. I'd need help testing for a device that doesn't have WIFI like a Chromebox.. @Paulo
  • You can now enter multiple SSID's - comma separated. Basically, if the current SSID equals any of these the app will be in LOCAL mode -- meaning all requests will be made to the local IP address.
    • I'm not exactly sure the use case for this one.. it was mentioned a while back though. someone who had multiple WIFI AP's with different SSID names for his home network

NOTE: The app still requires location permission in order to use cloud mode. I tried to explain this in the "More info..." button. If I can figure out a better way to auto-detect which one to use without this I'll implement it.. but, as it is this logic has worked pretty solid for my personal devices.

1 Like

I'm guessing the Chromebox doesn't have WIFI and thus the logic I'm using to auto detect local/cloud mode isn't working. I tried to address this in the latest version (above). You will still have to grant location permission and enter something in the SSID field - then hit OK. The app should compare your current SSID (which will be 'null' since no WIFI) with this manually entered value and because they don't match - it'll route everything through cloud mode.. at least that's the idea! Let me know if that doesn't work though (and device logs is possible) and I'll try to figure it out)

This should be fixed.. I don't think I mentioned it since it was pretty small compared to a lot of refactoring and big changes..

btw - I found that the "partially open" text comes from the device driver. I'm just looking for it now and showing just the percent open (I think)

windowShade - ENUM ["opening", "partially open", "closed", "open", "closing", "unknown"]

1 Like

Still no luck getting cloud mode to work. Updated to the beta version and the Chromebox does have WiFi so I disconnected the Ethernet cable to force a WiFi connection and that still would not enable cloud mode. :confounded:

I also checked that the location permissions were on from both the Chromebox system settings and the Android play store settings.

Anything else I can do to test this?

Thanks for the quick fix for the blinds - works perfectly!

Thanks for the latest updates, I am really liking this dashboard app, I just wish the same app was available for the iPhone, so that my wife could have the same excellent experience that I have.

I have a couple of asks.

1. Is it possible to make it so I can have a tile on my dashboard to display the mode the app is currently using for connectivity (i.e. Cloud or Local), rather than having to bring up the Menu and then choose More Settings...

2. For things like a garage door, there are the normal states of Open/Closed, and then there are the transitional states of Opening/Closing. Is it possible to have these states shown in the dashboard tile, and potentially choose a different color so its easy to see that the door is in a transition state.

Joe, I sent you an email but figured I'd see if could catch you here. I love the app btw. Is there any chance you can add a capability for RM global connectors, like the time and string connector. Currently if I add it and attempt to set the variable I can only send a blank setvariable.

I don't think this is version 1.0.1043 since there's no help button. Sometimes the Google Play store is slow to roll out updates so hopefully it's available now. If it still doesn't work after you get the latest - can you send me the logs? Nav menu -> About -> Support; maybe it'll have something in there which can point me in the right direction

sorry.. it's been several years since I last worked on iOS so that's not even on the radar just yet :frowning:

Is it possible to make it so I can have a tile on my dashboard to display the mode the app is currently using for connectivity

1 way I know I'm in cloud mode is if you drag down on the main screen you'll see a little refresh icon show up (ie: pull to refresh). I have that in cloud mode as a quick way to get the latest device state. I didn't want it in the local mode since the state should be in sync already.

It'd be possible to add a tile for this but I wonder if there's another more subtile way I can change the UI so it's clear -- but without taking up extra space.

For things like a garage door, there are the normal states of Open/Closed, and then there are the transitional states of Opening/Closing. Is it possible to have these states shown in the dashboard tile, and potentially choose a different color so its easy to see that the door is in a transition state.

I have a MyQ garage door with a Hubitat driver that uses a sensor to detect open/closed. I don't think I get transition states like "opening" with my driver.. it just goes from closed to open. But, I can add support for the opening/closing states - with a different icon to help

I haven't used these before - is there a guide on how to add this and I can try it out. Or, if you can send me a device log (or just the snippet for this device) that would work too.

Depending on how these attributes are set, it might be possible to display this today. Edit the device and select change device type -> multiple value sensor -> manage display items and the app should display any attributes the device has. You can select just 1 or up to 4 attributes

If you create a global variable for time and create a link for it as a device.... it comes up as child device under RM.

I'm not sure how they are set but i can't do as you describe. The only two options I have are "generic" and "varible string" when attempting to edit the device.

I see.. I created a Time variable in RM called "TimeVar" and included the new 'device' in MakerAPI. In my case, selecting the "variable string" device type displays the time value in the tile (although it's a long value: "2021-05-13T15:30:00.000-0400" which doesn't fit well or look good as-is).

Does each device only have 1 'value' to display? If so, that "variable string" device type might be fine.. I don't remember why I created it initially but likely from someone else who wanted to display a similar custom set variable.

I do see a need to better format what's in that field so it looks better in the tile though. I should also allow the tile to be wide as well for longer text. Maybe an option to wrap the text over a few lines too. Let me know if anyone uses these in the app and has ideas/requests.

version 1.0.1046 (beta)

• support garage door opening and closing states
  • several changes for 'variable string' device type including custom date formatting and allowing 'wide' tiles

There's 2 new garage state icons - opening and closing. I don't think my garage door driver uses these states but I'll try to verify that.

Also now the 'variable string' device type will be used over the generic type - hopefully that works for all of the RM global variables but let me know if not (I might need logs too). In my case, I created a 'Time' variable (see post above). I added logic so the app will now auto detect if the value is in a date format and will display it in more readable form. You can also change that to whatever date format you'd like to see as well.

There's also a 'wide' tile option for these devices as well. Side-note - I'm still looking at supporting more 'wide' tiles as well as allowing tiles to be larger than 2x2 as well.. that one got complicated though..

@jpage4500, are the problems with the update on the Play Store? I'm not seeing it. I'm on 1.0.1028

looks like it is going super slow.. usually they're available in a few hours but from the looks of it they're 3 versions behind :frowning: - not sure what's the reason for the delay

1 Like

Just tried the beta... I really like the ability to PIN protect tiles; keeps me from accidentally modifying my status indicators. Much appreciated!

@Pantheon, there is an excellent app - paid! - that will allow you control it: Fully Kiosk Browser. Google it, it is awesome!

1 Like

Should I be in the beta program on the play store? Do you have the capability to share the apk separate the play store? I'm quite excited for this update...you and your app are amazing. Thank you so much!!!

Here's the link from the 1st post...
https://jpage4500.s3.amazonaws.com/hubitat-dashboard/hubitat-dashboard-beta.apk

1 Like