[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

I brought my tablet from work home to setup then cloud works fine at work.

Tom

hmm.. the intended way to login is local.. best case you can just hit 'discover hub' and nothing to enter at all. Once the app fetches the Hub IP, Maker API app ID, access token and cloud token, you're good to go both local and remote.

You can manually enter all of those things in the app but today you have to login once to get to the homescreen. After that the app will compare the WIFI AP to the one you're connected to (if any) and if they match -> local.. otherwise it'll use the cloud.hubitat.com address for all requests.

I could think about a way to login remotely to start. I already have on my TODO a way to login if you have a username/password setup on your hub too

Maybe I missed this somewhere....I want to dim my screen at night (Amazon Fire HD 8) and return to full brightness with a screen touch. My pad is mounted in a case on the wall, so no access to any of the buttons. I have tried a few dimming apps, but none seem to return to FULL brightness with a screen touch. I had this functionality with Fully Kiosk and ActionTiles. Suggestions?

Thanks. I can just wait until I get back up there. I'm sure there are more pressing matters on your TODO list.

I have my Fire Tabs dim, not the app. Now, it dims where you can still easily be read.

If you want any Android device to dim the screen (not off) and return to full brightness on a touch - there's an option in the developer options screen called 'keep screen on'.. here's a page that shows how to enable this.

Just this option alone will keep the screen on (but dim). How long it will stay bright depends on the normal screen timeout setting you have set.

But, if you also set the dashboard's screen on option it'll keep the screen on full during certain hours. Outside of those hours, it'll dim

1 Like

This would be terrific for the updated release to include the latest library's.

I'm using Amcrest camera and have tried rtsp as well. Connection closed by peer is the error I receive.

The rtsp demo app you mentioned, I tried, and it works fine for the streams:

rtsp://admin:asdfghjk@192.168.1.25:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1

in the demo app I entered the rtsp request field as rtsp://192.168.1.25/ (and rtsp://192.168.1.25:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1) with the RTSP username and password in the fields. RTSP connected.

Using HD Fire 10
1.0.982 release

Hey guys. Are you also experiencing. Frozen cameras all of a sudden. One minute you refresh then shortly after, cameras just freeze.
Don't see anything in the server side so just curious

This is still too bright in the bedroom for WAF.

I can imagine. I have a blue LED on my watch charger that's annoying. I don't know if there is an app to help. The issue is avoiding the ad, unless you paid extra for the no ad version. Unfortunately, I think the only solution is to manually hit the button to turn the screen off. I'll look again when I get home to see if there's a way to deep darken it on a schedule.

It's not easy, but the best option IMO is to root the device and replace the Fire OS with another OS (Lineage for example). That will let you disable the screen lock and the dashboard app will turn the screen off and on automatically when you want it to.

I've done it now for a few devices.. it's too complicated to discuss here but ultimately you'd want to find your tablet model in this page for the details. Even then, I'd look for an easier guide to follow on Youtube too as it does involved opening up the tablet (at least it did)

also, FWIW - you don't need root for the dashboard to turn the screen on and off.. you just need to disable the screen lock (ie: swipe to unlock). The super cheap Fire tablets don't let you do this - presumably so you have to view their ads on the lock-screens

I tried to rename a "go back" tile within a folder. For some reason instead of renaming the go back tile it created a new (i.e., second) go back tile. I can move the tile out of the folder onto my main screen, but I don't see a way to delete it. How can I get rid of this extra "go back" tile? Thanks.

Yikes! I was able to reproduce that too. I don't see an easy way to delete it from the app either.. you can remove it by exporting the settings to your hub (or anywhere for that matter), editing the file (remove the ID_EXIT_FOLDER entry) and import it again. If you can wait I'll try to fix it in the next build though

1 Like

Thanks Joe! Glad it wasn't just me. :slight_smile:

How do you do that?

I am running several pads with this dashboard (locally). I have a camera feed on each pad from one of my security cameras. Works perfectly. However, the camera feeds are eating up my home network bandwidth. How can I solve this problem and keep my camera feeds on my dashboard?

The MakerAPI for this app is really spamming my network. Anyone else getting this?

This app doesn't do many refreshes so it's not going to stress the network. When the app first comes up, it calls a Maker API endpoint to get all devices. Then, for each device it fetches the detail for that device.

On a side-note I'd prefer to make 1 API call and get everything. The API for this exists but is very SLOW for no obvious reason.. I asked about it a while back and it seems to be a known issue.

Anyway, once that's done - and it's not a lot of data overall - the hub will notify the device on any future changes.

In cloud mode, the app does relay on polling the server (Maker API) every few seconds. We're still not taking about much data here - maybe a few k and ONLY while the app is running and in the foreground. The app doesn't do anything in the background or when the screen is off (widgets excluded as they refresh on their own configurable schedule)

1 Like

I know some video cameras offer 2 resolutions on their live feeds - low and high res. That would be 1 way to keep the bandwidth down.

I have a TODO item as well to figure out a way to have a video tile that just updates the image every few seconds instead of live streaming as a way to save bandwidth and CPU. Then, if you click on the tile it would open up a full screen live view.

1 Like