[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

I thought as much that the tile width was a bug, but I was actually looking for that, so perhaps make it a feature ?

For the date, I would love to have it, but as I live in Europe we usually have dd/mm/yy or something to that effect. The temp is a nice bonus, it is just that I don´t recognize the 14th month of the year :wink:

@jpage4500- is there a way to change folder icons? I tried, but it doesn't seem to work.

Yes, by default though a folder will display the contents in the folder.

You have to disable that first (edit -> disable show contents). Then, select Change Icons and pick "This Device" (unless you want the icon to apply to all folders) and lastly select "On" checkbox if you want the icon to show if 1 or more devices inside the folder are 'on', "Off" or both.

1 Like

version 1.0.959 (beta)

• added Widgets support

Most of the details are already covered above.

Some details:

• Any HE device can be added to the homescreen as a widget
  • You can select a refresh rate which will apply to all widgets. This is to keep updates as efficient as possible.
    • The default is "No Refresh" which means the widgets won't automatically refresh their state (on/off). They will, however, get the updated state if you open the app.
    • Refresh rate is in seconds.. So, 600 would mean the widgets would refresh every 5 minutes. Note that I'm NOT waking up a sleeping device so that periodic refresh only happens while the device is running
  • Clicking on a device first fetches the latest state and then toggles that state. This will only work for devices that have one of these attributes: [switch/lock/valve]. So, lights and locks primarily but lots of different devices has the "switch" state even though they're not lights.
  • You can change existing widget configuration in the app. Click on the nav menu -> More Settings -> Configure Widgets (NOTE: this won't show up if you don't have any widgets added)

Improvement #1: On clicking a widget, I'm not sure about fetching the 'latest' state and then toggling it. Meaning, you might see a light bulb widget that's OFF, click on it expecting the light to come ON but the app actually sends the OFF command instead. The reason is - the app doesn't always know the latest device state so the UI could be out of sync. Is it better to just toggle the state the user sees on the screen or the actual state?

Improvement #2: Some devices (locks, valves) should probably show a "Do you want to lock/unlock?" before actually doing it. I'll add that to the config options in a future update

Other improvements:

• add a 'grid' widget which can show multiple devices on a single widget
  • more control over the UI of a device.. I'm not showing much detail today (icon + name)

Anyway, that's the high-level.. let me know what you like and don't like and I can adjust from there!

3 Likes

That capability would be absolute fantastic. It would make using ZRTS driven shades with the somfi "MY" button very easy to control.

1 Like

I would suggest: fetch the actual state first. If the actual state is the opposite of the displayed state (e.g. the light is on but the widget still thinks it's off), update the widget and don't send any command.

I like this idea.

Is it possible to automatically refresh all the widgets whenever the screen turns on? That might solve improvement #1 at the same time.

EDIT: improvement #1 would still be needed for remote control devices configured to never turn the screen off.

I have 1.0.959, have restarted the app, restarted the phone, I'm not seeing anything about widgets. I've tried the nav menu, more settings, I've tried editing the device tile. Nothing about widgets. Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

Create an adroid widget of one of your devices on a
home screen of the phone and the additional menu it's will be available in the app.

Thanks! I had too many widgets and I was looking for "Hubitat" something and didn't spot it.

weird.. mine shows up under a Hubitat Dashboard label. I might have to rename these to start with Hubitat if that's how some devices show them

1 Like

I missed it the first time through also.

Firstly, thanks a lot, @jpage4500: your app is great, thanks for your job and for sharing it with the community!
I'm using it for some time and the app have had a great evolution. I noticed, although, that sometimes there is a great lag between the widget click and the device response.
Would be great too if we could add tiles with titles, for example, Dinner Room to open a "section" with devices grouped. Something like the folders, but showing all devices.
The implementation of some kind of "separators" also would be welcome, facilitating the dashboard organization.
Please excuse some English error, it isn't my mother language.

It's pretty much instant for me (on local network). The app first fetches the current device state and then toggles it. So, 2 network requests. I'm thinking it'd be better to just toggle the state as it's displayed in the UI which would just be 1 request. Anyway, if it's taking longer than you think it should - send me a device log after testing it and I'll see if anything sticks out (nav menu -> about -> support)

The implementation of some kind of "separators" also would be welcome, facilitating the dashboard organization

I could add separators so you can create sections for different groups of devices. But, it'd be a manual process to move devices around into each section so probably not ideal for everyone. Ideally you could create these groups in the hub and then the app would just use them if setup. But, there's nothing like that I'm aware of -- at least nothing available via MakerAPI.

Technically, if the app sends the 'off' command for a device that's already off, nothing happens. At least that's what I've seen.

If you set the refresh time to say every 15 mins and the phone has been off for a while and then turns on - the alarm should fire at that point and the app will refresh the state of the device. That's how it's supposed to work at least. I know every version of Android does more and more to optimize battery use (which is a good thing) so I'd need to verify that's how it's actually behaving.

But, if you set the refresh time to 0 (off) - there's no other way I know of to refresh only when the screen turns on. The app would have to be running in order to detect this.

Feature request a screensaver and a screen dim mode with the ability to detect users using camera to either unlock or go back into dashboard

version 1.0.965 (beta)

• add new 'section divider' device tile
  • change widget name to "Hubitat Dashboard Single Device"
  • clicking on widgets will toggle current state of device vs fetch latest state first

You can add section/divider device tiles now (edit -> add device -> section)
By default, the text is centered and the color is transparent but you can change both by editing these.

I also

I'm not doing this exactly but I think the result is the same. Instead of fetching the current state and then toggling it (like prev version did), I'm sending the toggled state command.. meaning, if you see a light as 'off' and click on it - it'll send the 'on' command. If the light is already on - nothing should happen. It might not be perfect but I think it'll be what most users would expect.

I would recommend using some refresh rate. It's off by default today. That'll keep the widget state a lot more in sync.. I also think it won't drain battery due to the fact that the device won't wake up while it's sleeping. But, I'll know more as I spend more time using it too.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot, @jpage4500!

@jpage4500-
Is there anything that can be done about clicking on a shade or blinds tile and having a default prompt of what position (percentage) to move the blinds to instead of commanding a full open or closed (based on where the blinds are currently set [ie: partially open])?