[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

I'm going to try and add a global text size but here's what I wasn't sure about:

I really don't want to overcomplicate the UI.. ideally I'd have a single 'global' text size (by default 'auto fit'). Then, you can override this on any individual tile if you'd like (that's the part that's there today).

I'll try to get it to apply to as many tiles as possible (such as folders). What I probably can't do however, is apply it to any of the web/HTML tiles as the app isn't drawing this text at all. The webview (embedded browser) is doing that

version 1.0.1908 (beta)

• add global text size setting
  • add individual device text size override
  • analog clock changes

This version adds a global 'text size' setting which controls the main text/value for each tile. By default, I have the text 'auto-fit' to the view - meaning the text will adjust it's size to be as large as it possibly can in order to fit the available space. I do this to make the text as large and visible as possible but also not to truncate longer values.

However, this can also lead to some wildly different font sizes which also doesn't look great when many of them are on a screen at the same time...

Here's an example of as many 'text' only tiles as I could fit on my phone. All of the text is set to 'auto-fit' (default)

The first change adds a global 'text size' setting which works for as many of the 'text' tiles as I can

As you can see, this makes the text size the same but now there's some tiles where the text doesn't fit. The second change here adds a 'text size' option to most tiles which lets you override the global setting.

Here I'm overriding the text size of the 'Dad Jokes' tile back to 'auto-size'

Lastly, I needed a way to be able to 'reset' the text size on a device so it could follow the global default again so I added 2 ways to do this.

1. press and hold on 'text size' in the device edit screen will prompt to reset the size for that device
  2. press and hold on 'text size' in the settings -> display settings screen will prompt to reset the size of every device
6 Likes

Looks great Joe, I don't have time to look at it right now, but now that we can adjust the text size can you look into allowing us more than 4 icons in the folder view? Maybe allow us to size the folder, which we can do but then let us choose how many icons it will display. Also the ability to choose which icons that are displayed. Inside the folders I like everything in a certain order but have to compromise so I can get the 4 most important ones to the front of the list so they display in the preview.

hmm. if you create a variable per tile of fontsize percentage - such as a default of 100% but allow a tile to have a customization slider of size per tile - it would give you the best of both worlds !

omg! I'm in heaven! Can't wait to get time to try it out!!! THANK YOU!

1 Like

@jpage4500 Has anything changed in the last version (or two) with regard to layout? I've always found dragging tiles around when rearranging dashboards to be a little testing, but I've gotten used to it and was having no issues. However this morning I'm struggling to do a really simple rearrange. I simply cannot move a 1x1 tile to the left of two 2x1 tiles, even though there is a 3x1 empty space for the 2x1's to shuffle one space right.

** Wipes tears of joy from his eyes **

I gained back 3 tiles just having the ability to shrink some button text... omg. wow. what a huge improvement! Amazing work. Time to buy you another coffee!
Shu

My Dashboard Folders change background color if anything in the folder is On. This is perfect, but it seems I can no longer edit the On and Off colors of Folders, as I am only presented with one Background color choice - no On and Off check boxes any more (v1.0.1908)

I must be missing something (if only I could add memory to myself like my desktop)
I added two more Kasa smart plugs and added them to the dashboard in HE but
Edit mode - Add Tile no light or switch to select. Restarted HE and Dashboard but still not there.

Sorry, my bad. I keep going to the Hubitat dashboard and not maker API. All good.

@jpage4500 this surfaced a few releases ago. It would be a nice option to have back.

After a hub reboot, what happens with the app and websocket?
I have two wall mounted tablets that are set up to wake on device activity using a virtual switch but after a hub reboot, I have to close and reopen the app to regain that functionality. Possibly other devices have a stale state as well but I didn't dive in that deep.

It should try to re-connect every few seconds. If you run into that stale state again can you send device logs (about -> support)?

I think I know how this broke - I'll fix it

version 1.0.1912 (beta)

• support fields with "<ul" as HTML
  • allow change background color for folder on/off states

just a couple of minor fixes in this version. I'm trying to get everything stable and working and I'll release a production build to Google Play and Amazon App store

2 Likes

Much appreciated.

Joe the back button still randomly reverts itself back to default size. Any idea what's causing this? It's a daily occurrence.

This is working again, That was quick.

I hate to push my luck, but I'll throw this out there - Is it possible, when exiting a folder, to land where you were last (which would be on the folder you just exited), instead of resetting back to top left position every time? This is really only an issue on our TV's where navigation is done by stepping around with Up/Down/Left/Right controls. It's my opinion that returning to where you were last is a smoother way to navigate.

BTW, I love this app. It is on all our phones and all of our TV's (they are Google TVs) and it works fantastic. Even in the relatively short time I have been using it, you have made tremendous advancements.

I added something like this a while ago but I've only tested it on touchscreen devices. I just tested it now and it works but only if none of the tiles are tall (height > 1 ). There's always been issues with the grid when there's any 'tall' tiles

20230129-1

I'll try it on my Fire TV and see if there's something I can do there too

Thanks.
None of my tiles are tall, but I get that you can't put it out there yet if it's going to cause problems in different configurations.
Have a great day.